PDA

View Full Version : 1989 S.F. Giants WS Jersey

Dewey2007
05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I am hoping some of the S.F. Giants experts like Lon Lewis can help me out on this 1989 Chris Speier jersey that is currently listed on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220233148404&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

In doing some checking it seems that Chris Speier was not on the Giants 1989 world series roster yet this jersey is being listed as game used. The best I can imagine is that he was issued a jersey and sat in the dugout with the team. Is it possible that a WS patch was just sewn onto his regular season jersey which would probably show minimal use? It comes with a Dick Dobbins LOA and from what I've read he was the foremost authority on Giants jerseys. I've never seen a Dobbins LOA but would it indicate what game use this jersey has or anything like that?

Any insight or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Dewey
deweystg@berkeley.edu

suave1477
05-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Dewey well that is very possible.

Not that he was issued the Jersey and then sat in the dug out.

First of all a lot of times the regular season Jerseys are used for the post season and the patches added for the World Series.

Chris wasn't released from the team until November so he was still on the team during the World Series.

Since there was only 4 game as the A'S swept the Giants and Chris was merely just a back up/utility player it would make sense he didn't see any field time during the World Series.

lon lewis
05-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Dewey, The Giants had several players who were not on the World Series roster but did dress for the games. The Giants used their regular season jerseys for the playoffs and Series. The World Series patch and armband were added to 1 set of jerseys and the other set ony had the armband added due to a shortage of the Giants version of the patch. The Dobbins LOA's were limited in scope to item (home/ road, knit/flannel) players name, players number and year, size and mfr, purchased by and date. Most carried no notations of game use. The players were allowed to keep either the home or road jerseys (with the patch and armband) after the series with most opting for the home version which is why there were more road jerseys available. Unfortunately, there are some jerseys out there that were of the patchless variety that a few individuals added a patch to after the fact to enhance the value. Without seeing the jersey in person I couldn't tell if that was the case on this particular jersey.

Dewey2007
05-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Lon, thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if teams got brand new jerseys to wear in the WS so that makes sense why it is being listed as game used even though Speier wasn't on the active roster for the series.

I haven't seen any other '89 Giants World Series jerseys on the market so in your opinion is the asking price for this particular one about what a non-star player would command or is it a little high for a guy who wasn't even on the active roster?

Best,
Dewey

lon lewis
05-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Dewey, Giants jerseys of this type seem to be all over the map. The starting or opening bid does seem on the high side for this particular jersey. I guess the question would be how bad do you want it?

flaco1801
05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
lon...when people say set 1 is that 2 homes and 2 roads before the all star break? then set 2 is the same 2 and 2? '''' set 1 of only 1 home and one road would make it hard on the clubhouse kids? thanks, jeff

Dewey2007
05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Dewey, Giants jerseys of this type seem to be all over the map. The starting or opening bid does seem on the high side for this particular jersey. I guess the question would be how bad do you want it?

Lon, I guess I don't want it bad enough to have to pay that price. Hopefully it will come down if it don't sell. It's funny I could care less about the whole World Series aspect of the jersey. I just want a Chris Speier game jersey for my collection since he's from my hometown. Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You have any Speier jerseys for sale by any chance??

Dewey2007
05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
So much for that. The jersey ended up selling for $830.

Still on the hunt for a Chris Speier game jersey if anyone has one.

lon lewis
05-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Dewey, I no longer have any Speier jerseys for sale or otherwise. However, I do have a mis-spelled home nameplate by Rawlings (Speir)

Flaco1801, I'm not sure of the question but as a rule the Giants had 2 home jerseys and 2 road jerseys (ordered in the early part of spring training) there was not a re-order for use after the all star break. When I mentioned 1 set of the '89 jerseys had the patch and armband I meant 1ea home and road. Actually, if there were only 1 home and road jersey it wouldn't be too bad as very few players if any used the 2nd jersey during a game. I am also not sure what 'kids' you were referring to as the Giants E.M. and his staff (excluding batboys) were well past 40 that year.

flaco1801
05-16-2008, 10:22 AM
thanks lon..... if there ever was a double header (my generation) with a 20 min break between the jerseys would have to be washed and refreshed very quickly. doubleheader, opps now they are called day night games.