PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Auctions - How Did You Do?

suave1477
05-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Hey guys wanted to see if anyone here bid in the auction?

Did you bid on anything?

If so did you win?

shoremen44
05-15-2008, 09:27 AM
I won the National League helmets and the 1957 Cubs team signed ball....

the helmets to me were a steal...

I would have liked to win the AL helmets... really want that O's helmet... but the price shot up quick

Nathan
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
In case anyone doubts the passion of hockey fans everywhere....

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=18142

suave1477
05-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Nathan im probably gonna get hammered for this but who is that player?

Before answering please keep in mind I am not a Hockey fan nor do I follow the Rangers.

I am just curious is he some kind of SuperStar or is it just because it comes from a World Champion Season?

dcgreg25
05-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I bid on several items including:

Bid and Lost
Bruce Smith GU Redskins jersey (went for $1060)
Jim Thome 1999 All Star Jersey (went for $790)
Deion Sanders GU Cleats (went for $530)

Bid and Won
Lavar Arrington GU 2003 Redskins Jersey (tons of use)
Santana Moss GU Hurricanes Helmet (with Team COA)

Generally, I thought the bidding was pretty aggressive given the economy and most of the items went at pretty good numbers.

gatorcollector
05-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I won the John James 1983 Houston Oilers jersey. Mr. James, needless to say, is a former Florida Gator.

gatorcollector
05-15-2008, 10:40 AM
My winning bid was $250. Nobody else bid. How are they coming up with a final bid price of $330? 20% buyers premium should make the price $300. Are they including shipping? I've never won anything from an auction house before. I read all the insructions but can't figure out how they're coming up with $330.

suave1477
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
I would call them and find out.

I am sure they will correct it for you. Seems like it was just a glitch.

I had an issue one time when there online auction was showing that I was being out bid because they were having a computer glitch and all it was, was me bidding against myself. I realized what had happpend and they said no problem they will give me the item for my lowest winning bid.

Nathan
05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Nathan im probably gonna get hammered for this but who is that player?

Before answering please keep in mind I am not a Hockey fan nor do I follow the Rangers.

I am just curious is he some kind of SuperStar or is it just because it comes from a World Champion Season?

He's an above average defenseman who was a major part of that Rangers team.

Most Stanley Cup Finals jerseys go for much lower than that. I'm sure for a Rangers fan, this would be an ultimate holy grail. Which means that it was probably Barry Meisel who won it.:p

DRILLINDK
05-15-2008, 01:05 PM
I was high bidder on the Jeter GU bat unitl about 11:30 lastnight. Ended up going to about 17k. I really fell in love with that bat.

suave1477
05-15-2008, 01:59 PM
I was high bidder on the Jeter GU bat unitl about 11:30 lastnight. Ended up going to about 17k. I really fell in love with that bat.

Ok I just looked and the bat ended at a little over 20k.
After buyers premium, shipping, insurance and sales tax if the person lives in New York. your talking about 22k to 23k

My first question is WHY???????

I am not knocking you for wanting it and yes I know everyone has there own reason for paying highly or over paying for something they really want.

But I cannot think of anything justifying that price.

Its a Home Run bat yes I understand that which does sell for more of a premium then a regular game used bat and if the person is a big power hitter with possibilities of breaking a home run record or shooting for the 500 home run club or maybe even a home run bat from a World Series Champ Season.

But here is my thinking you can pick up a Jeter Game Used bat from Steiner at any time from 2k to 4k depending on the weather.
Since its a Home Run bat lets add a thousand or 2.

Jeter a borderline Hall of Famer as far as I am concerned
Not a power hitter.
No where near breaking any Home Run records.
No where near joining the 500 club.

How does a bat of my personal opinion value go from the 5k mark (which im even stretching because I don't even think its worth that much) go to 22k+????

I am sorry I just don't see it.

BULBUS
05-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Not a power hitter.

Suave, I agree that 20k+ is insane, but I wouldn't say Jeter is a borderline Hall of Fame player. He may not hit for power, but he does hit. I know he still has a few years to prove longevity, but he is ahead of Pete Rose's pace for hits. I say Jeter will get to at least 3,000 hits and get into the HOF.

That being said, that 20k blows my mind! I have a Jeter game used bat that is pounded with use and even though he doesnt hit a lot of home runs, there is a good chance he hit one with it. Its for sale, a bargain, only 15K! :D

DRILLINDK
05-15-2008, 02:47 PM
After buyers premium, shipping, insurance and sales tax if the person lives in New York. your talking about 22k to 23k

I am not knocking you for wanting it and yes I know everyone has there own reason for paying highly or over paying for something they really want.

Its a Home Run bat yes I understand that which does sell for more of a premium then a regular game used bat and if the person is a big power hitter with possibilities of breaking a home run record or shooting for the 500 home run club or maybe even a home run bat from a World Series Champ Season.

But here is my thinking you can pick up a Jeter Game Used bat from Steiner at any time from 2k to 4k depending on the weather.

Not a power hitter.

How does a bat of my personal opinion value go from the 5k mark (which im even stretching because I don't even think its worth that much) go to 22k+????

Suave,

Not to worry. We're both on the same page. I was was high bidder at around $5500. That was as mcuh as I could justify paying for the bat. Anything more than that and I believe would be too much.

At about 11:30 lastnight the price jump from the 5500 bid I had placed to 12k and 15min later to the final bidding price of 17k. I don't know who won the lot, but they wanted the bat BAD and $$$ was not an issue.

Who should I contact about purchasing items from Steiner. I've heard Bob Malandro's name thrown out before, but have no experience dealing with him.

Rick

BULBUS
05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Rick,

I have dealt with Bob several times. He always replies and is great to deal with. Good luck finding a Jeter bat.

-Chris

suave1477
05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
They have a Jeter bat available now.

Call Brooks Cowan one of the best they have there.

loumud
05-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey guys wanted to see if anyone here bid in the auction?

Did you bid on anything?

If so did you win?

I won the Jeff Bagwell 2001 game used black alternate jersey. Final bid price was $850, which brought it to $1,024 with the buyer's premium. I wasn't too happy that they extended their 9:00 rule by like 6 hours! According to their policy the 9:00 rule allows them to extend the bidding for 10 minutes, but only for people who bid on the auction previously. At that point the jersey was around $580 or so. They of course have a disclaimer that they can extend the bidding as long as they want to at their own discretion, and they certainly exercised that last night by extending the bidding by 6 hours! I'm sure it was because a lot of the auction lots hadn't gone for too much by the time 9:00 EST rolled around.

Anyway, I had a $150 credit from the last auction, so I'll end up getting the jersey for about $900 with shipping. I was expecting it to go for a little more than that as well. The jersey itself didn't appear to show to much game use from the photos they provided, although it is a black jersey. So I took a chance on it. It's possible that it might be a game issued jersey instead. But, if it checks out then I think $900 is a great price for the rare black alternate jersey, which has always been one of my favorite Astros jerseys! Bagwell is also one of my all-time favorite players. Even if it's just game issued, the price is at the upper end of what I would be willing to pay for a game issued jersey anyway, so I think I came out ahead either way.

DRILLINDK
05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Lou,

The 10min rule applies to ALL lots. As long as one lot has been bid on in the last 10min, they all remain open (to bidders who had bid on that particular lot prior to the 9pm deadline) until no bids are recorded on ANY lot for a 10min period.

Respectfully,
Rick

DRILLINDK
05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Do you guys have a number I can reach Bob or Cowen through?

Rick

BULBUS
05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Do you guys have a number I can reach Bob or Cowen through?

Rick

Rick,

You can call the main number and ask for either guy, or their email address' are first initial and last name @ steinersports .com (bmalandro@steinersports.com).

suave1477
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
You can reach Brooks here

bcowan@steinersports.com

DRILLINDK
05-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

loumud
05-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Lou,

The 10min rule applies to ALL lots. As long as one lot has been bid on in the last 10min, they all remain open (to bidders who had bid on that particular lot prior to the 9pm deadline) until no bids are recorded on ANY lot for a 10min period.

Respectfully,
Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the clarification. They way I read the policy was that it applied to each individual lot, not to all of them collectively. In any case, I'm still pretty satsfied with the price I picked up the jersey for, so there's no harm, no foul with how it turned out.

DRILLINDK
05-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the clarification. They way I read the policy was that it applied to each individual lot, not to all of them collectively. In any case, I'm still pretty satsfied with the price I picked up the jersey for, so there's no harm, no foul with how it turned out.

Glad to hear! I made the same mistake when I first start bidding on auction lots. I still don't understand why they have their auctions organized this way.

suave1477
05-15-2008, 03:56 PM
to maximize every possible penny they can get out of it.

DRILLINDK
05-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi Rick,

Glad to hear! I made the same mistake when I first start bidding on auction lots. I still don't understand why they have their auctions organized this way.

DRILLINDK
05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I just emailed both steiner reps. Looking forward to see what they have to offer. What kind of price do you think they would quote me at for a bat simliar to the one in the GFA?

suave1477
05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Brooks is great I am sure he will take care of you

loumud
05-15-2008, 04:21 PM
to maximize every possible penny they can get out of it.

Absolutely!!!

JETEFAN
05-15-2008, 06:40 PM

Not a power hitter.

It's no secret that with a a name like Jetefan I'm a Jeter fan.....but for 20K plus I'd try to fill that empty slot on my bat reserved for the Mick!!!!

George

whirl
05-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Back to the auction, I picked up the pre-steroid Barry Bonds Pirates bat for around $ 950 plus the vig. Rex

lund6771
05-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I wanted the rookie Jordan jersey pretty bad...it went for 40 something and is 100% the real deal...I orginally got this one in 92...funny thing is that after I sold it, it all of sudden had a team letter, which never came with it originally

anyways, I was kinda bummed not to get it, but I have another great one anways...

If someone here got that one, LMK!!!!

both-teams-played-hard
05-15-2008, 08:21 PM

HA! Rolling-in-my-chair-urinating-in-my-drawers!

RIMCUIMD

suave1477
05-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Both Teams first I would like to say I didnt quite get what you meant by your comment.
Are you laughing cuz you agree or disagree???

Second I looked over your photos. Even though in the past I have seen you post some of them here. But seeing them again and your other ones made me laugh my butt off.
Lampson pics will always be classics!!!

rbalm
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
I won Barry Sanders Final Post season shoe!
Adam

BarryMeisel
05-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Nathan,

I did not win the Zubov.

I own two Stanley Cup Finals jerseys, a white MacTavish (photo-matched to him holding the Stanley Cup after Game 7) and a blue Adam Graves (photo-matched to him wearing it in Game 4 at Vancouver).

I think the reason the Zubov went for the price it did is that legitimate Rangers' game-worn Finals jerseys (all of which should be accompanied by a letter of authenticity from the Rangers noting that a portion of the proceeds from the first sale of these jerseys went to charity for the Prevention of Child Abuse) are coveted by a large number of Rangers' collectors, and the small number of genuine game-worn Finals jerseys are embedded deep in Rangers' fans collections.

Regards,
Barry

both-teams-played-hard
05-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Both Teams first I would like to say I didnt quite get what you meant by your comment.
Are you laughing cuz you agree or disagree???

Second I looked over your photos. Even though in the past I have seen you post some of them here. But seeing them again and your other ones made me laugh my butt off.
Lampson pics will always be classics!!!
Suave
Glad you like the photoshops.

My post was disagreeing with you...I think Jete is a lock. No hard feelings.:)

suave1477
05-15-2008, 10:20 PM
both teams

Well not to take this thread too far off topic whether you choose to answer me here or email me directly is up to you.

but I would love to hear how you think he is a lock????

He hasn't done anything to lock him into the hall and even his stats compare to borderline hall of famers or hall of famers that took a while to get in.

Not to mention at the time when he decides to retire think of how many other sure hall of famers will probably retire around the same time bumping Jeter to the back of the line.

Again I am baffled where you can say he is a lock.

suave1477
05-15-2008, 10:33 PM
HERE ARE SOME ITEMS I WON AND THE FIRST ONE HAPPEN TO BE VERY SPECIAL TO ME.

THIS CAP WAS NOT ONLY A TRIBUTE TO MY FAVORITE PLAYER BUT WAS BUT GOT A LOT OF MEDIA ATTENTION DURING THAT TIME AND I REMEMBERED IT VIVIDLY ALL THESE YEARS - I ALSO PHOTO MATCHED IT.

YANKEES DURING THE WORLD SERIES WORE CAPS WITH #39 STICHTED IN THE BACK FOR STRABERRY HE WAS DIAGNOSED WTIH CANCER.

LEYRITZ WHO WAS A GOOD FRIEND AND RESPECTED STRAWBERRY PUT 39 ON HIS CAP DURING THE POST SEASON HE WAS THE ONLY ONE ON THE PADRES THAT DID IT.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotImages/4620A_lg.jpeg
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotImages/4620B_lg.jpeg

PHOTOMATCH

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/51634826.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=AE5E3E7DB8E314174EC58332F5D01A9D284831B75F48EF45

Dewey2007
05-15-2008, 10:41 PM
I picked up the 2003 Montea Reagor Colts road jersey that was in the GF auction. It was looking so lonely sitting there with no bids I thought what the heck. This was my first time being the winning bidder in an auction so that was kinda cool.

Neely8
05-15-2008, 10:44 PM
I wasn't even aware that this auction was running since I'm not a big fan of auctions but I will say someone got an absolute steal on that Aeneas Williams Rams jersey. The price for that jersey borders on ludicrous for a future HOFer. I think the Hacksaw Reynolds was a pretty good buy too. Since I collect mostly hockey I will say I think that the SCF Rangers Zubov jersey went for absolutely INSANE money. Someone wanted that jersey BAD and there is no doubt money was not an issue!

MikeSharon
05-16-2008, 07:56 AM
I won the National League helmets and the 1957 Cubs team signed ball....

the helmets to me were a steal...

I would have liked to win the AL helmets... really want that O's helmet... but the price shot up quick

would be interested in the astros helmet that was part of that group if your looking to move it email me

George.sharon@cyfairvfd.org

lnfogel@aol.com
05-16-2008, 08:07 AM
i won the 6 mets bats

byergo
05-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm a huge MIZZOU Tigers collector. Probably have the biggest collection out there, and I was thrilled to pick up one of my "Holy Grail" items in this auction, a Brad Smith game used home jersey! For those that don't know Brad is one of the most accomplished QB's in NCAA history, an awesome dual threat weapon that vauted our program to where we now stand as a Top 5 team, and he is a WR now with the NY Jets (also contributes at RB/QB and on special teams).

Now if I could find a circa 1939 "Pitchin Paul" Christman jersey I'd be in heaven! LOL

cjclong
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
I would agree that Jeter appears to be a lock for the HOF. Baring injury he will probably have over 3,000 hits. The only knock is not a lot of home runs, however he hit a surprising number in the playoffs and World Series when they meant something. I think most HOF voters are sophisticated to recognize a player with meaningful singles and doubles compared to one who hits meaningless home runs. He was on center stage in the playoffs and World Series between 1996 and 2001. He proved he could play under pressure and was a big part of the Yankees winning 4 World Series, 3 in a row. When people think of the Yankees most think of him first. He not only handled the pressure of big games, but also the pressure of playing in New York which many players can't cope with. He is one of the select group of players who have as many as 4 World Series rings. Finally he is a good representative for baseball. That is something that may keep players like Bonds and McGuire out and will help Jeter get in.

byergo
05-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm not a Yankees fan but barring major sudden calamity, Jeter is pretty close to a 100% lock for the HOF.

Rookie of the Year, World Series MVP and post season superstar, 8 time All Star, 2,400 hits by age 34 and still going strong, 3 Gold Gloves, 2 Silver Sluggers, .317 lifetime batting average--65th best ever, Top 10 in MVP voting 6 times. Yeah--he's in.

dranimal
05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
I bought the Tommy John and Vlad Guerrero jerseys. I also bought (shhhhh) the Pudge and the Mindy McCready (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu8GMmC1IFKkA3HFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEydmtuODg zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y4NjJfNzk-/SIG=125psqc4u/EXP=1211034124/**http%3a//music.yahoo.com/ar-257464---Mindy-McCready)'family friend' jersey

suave1477
05-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm not a Yankees fan but barring major sudden calamity, Jeter is pretty close to a 100% lock for the HOF.

Rookie of the Year, World Series MVP and post season superstar, 8 time All Star, 2,400 hits by age 34 and still going strong, 3 Gold Gloves, 2 Silver Sluggers, .317 lifetime batting average--65th best ever, Top 10 in MVP voting 6 times. Yeah--he's in.

I hear everything you guys are saying your still failing to see one thing everything you mention are not locks into the hall.

The only thing I see that will make him a lock is if he reaches 3000. Again that is if he reaches it, he still has some time to get there.

Here is a better example
Don Mattingly
6 x All Star
85 MVP
85 major League Player of the Year
Voted Top 10 - 4 times for MVP
9 x Gold Glove
3 x Silver Slugger
Lifetime BA. .307
Was the face of the Yankees throughout the 80's to the mid 90's

Darryl Strawberry
83 Rookie of the Year
8 x All Star
2 X Silver Slugger
Everyone knows he deserved MVP in 88
4 x World Series Champ for 2 different teams
Still holds numerous Mets Records

GIVE ME A CALL WHEN EITHER GUY MAKE IT IN.

worldchamps
05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I bought the Tommy John and Vlad Guerrero jerseys. I also bought (shhhhh) the Pudge and the Mindy McCready (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu8GMmC1IFKkA3HFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEydmtuODg zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y4NjJfNzk-/SIG=125psqc4u/EXP=1211034124/**http%3a//music.yahoo.com/ar-257464---Mindy-McCready)'family friend' jersey

I thought about bidding on the Pudge, you got a really good deal on it....especially when you think how much you would have to pay to send it in and have them authenticate it...I assume you get a LOA with any purchase??

cjclong
05-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Suave, the thing you are leaving out is Jeter's being a major part of 4 World Series winners. There is no question playing in a World Series is a major plus in getting in the Hall. I'm a fan of Whitey Ford and I believe he deserves being in the Hall but would he be there if he had played for the Cubs during that time? Also, Mattingly's numbers are for a first baseman. While shortstop has become more of an offensive position in recent years voters don't expect the same numbers of a shortstop as they do a first baseman or outfielder. Compare the numbers of Pee Wee Reese with other position players from his era that aren't there. If I were a betting man I would bet you the price of the Jeter home run bat that just sold in the auction that he gets in the Hall on the first ballot.

suave1477
05-16-2008, 11:25 AM
CJClong again your still forgetting who else would be retiring and available for the hall of fame.

So I still don't think he is a first ballot.

If arod and him retire at the same time, you still think Jeter is a first ballot?

cjclong
05-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Since ARod is younger I doubt they retire at the same time. But again, if I were betting I think Jeter gets in first ballot regardless of who else may be eligible. I think his image (as long as that doesn't change) along with his accomplishments will put him there. And I'm pretty tough on who I think should be in. I'm not one who thinks Rice or Mattingly, and I was a fan of Mattingly, belong in the HOF. I guess we just have a totally different perception of where Jeter ranks.

byergo
05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I loved Mattingly too. It's a darn shame he had back problems (the unforeseen calamity thing I was talking about) or we was a sure thing. He's still on the fringe, and I think will get in some day.

I also think Rice belongs, he was a dominant and feared player in his prime. He wouldn't be an embarassment to the hall such as Gary Carter.

TNTtoys
05-16-2008, 03:26 PM
He wouldn't be an embarassment to the hall such as Gary Carter.

I happen to think that this is a ridiculous, baseless statement. Can you please compare Carter's lifetime achievements to all of the other catchers in the hall? Can you then multiply Carter's lifetime stats by about 30 -- because that's about how many more games Carter would have played had he not been a catcher.

GrndSlm
05-17-2008, 12:03 AM
I won the 1970 Pedro Ramos flannel....Nice jersey from a historic team and a very popular Cuban player. Paid 1950 for the jersey..

Juan Iglesias

Nathan
05-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Nathan,

I did not win the Zubov.

I own two Stanley Cup Finals jerseys, a white MacTavish (photo-matched to him holding the Stanley Cup after Game 7) and a blue Adam Graves (photo-matched to him wearing it in Game 4 at Vancouver).

I think the reason the Zubov went for the price it did is that legitimate Rangers' game-worn Finals jerseys (all of which should be accompanied by a letter of authenticity from the Rangers noting that a portion of the proceeds from the first sale of these jerseys went to charity for the Prevention of Child Abuse) are coveted by a large number of Rangers' collectors, and the small number of genuine game-worn Finals jerseys are embedded deep in Rangers' fans collections.

Regards,
Barry

Barry,

It couldn't be real anyway. We all know that if it wasn't allowed in 1972, then there's no way an SCF team in 1994 would be allowed to take the ice looking like ragamuffins.;)

BernBabyBern
05-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I won the Circa 1990 Jose Canseco GU/Autographed A's Home Jersey. Paid $576 + shipping.

Thanks.
MAP

ultimetfan
05-18-2008, 01:23 PM
He wouldn't be an embarassment to the hall such as Gary Carter.

Must be a 86 Red Sox fan. Get over it!

Hi,

I won the Stearns lot, and lost the Piazza lot. Very happy, since before the auction I was debating buying it from MEARS directly (for more). Worried in the wee hours, though. Glad everyone seemed to do well.

Best
Jessie

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR METS CATCHER ITEMS and Bats from: Bruce Berenyl, Ed Lynch, Randy Niemann, Rick Anderson, John Mitchell, and Tim Corcoran

Dewey2007
05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Just have to tip my hat to Grey Flannel for getting my item to me fast. Mailed my payment last Friday and my item arrived Fedex today.

The jersey I won had 2 or 3 more team repairs then was listed and shows great use. Safe to say I'm pretty happy with my first auction win. Of course no one else bid but that's beside the point!

byergo
05-21-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm no BoSox fan by any stretch of the imagination, and I won't be multiplying Carters's stats by 30 any time soon. The guy is a joke and is a disgrace to the HOF, thats all. He's a perfect representative of the watering down of HOF standards which shouldn't be tolerated.