PDA

View Full Version : Seller wanting an item back

Dewey2007
05-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I just had an eBay seller contact me asking if I would be interested in selling back this 2001 Rams game used jersey that I bought off of him a couple of months ago. No explanation as to why he wanted it back but I thought it was kind of random. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

I'm sure it happens when someone realizes they sold something they shouldn't have but this guy sells lots of jerseys so I imagine it can't be that he suddenly misses it or anything.

frikativ54
05-10-2008, 01:19 AM
I really want a card back that I sold for $250, though I needed the money for a big game-used purchase. This was a few months back. However, the guy who bought it from me was serving in Iraq, and I honestly feel that given that he is putting his life on the line, he is more deserving of the card than I. So - no, I am not going to ask for it back. Plus, I can't afford it now anyway.

Neely8
05-10-2008, 02:09 AM
This is the first time I've ever heard of that. What jersey is it?

nyjetsfan14
05-10-2008, 09:59 AM

I have done that more than once. The one time that comes to mind is when I sold a 1993 Rob Moore Jets gamer on e-Bay. One week later I was having serious sellers remorse and I asked the buyer if he wanted to sell it back to me...and he did for $50.00 more than he paid! Great financial dealings on my part huh? That's probably why my investment future is going to the local market and buying lottery tickets. Being such a devout Jets fan/collector it is hard for me to let go of anything. But often being tight on funds I must sell a piece to add another piece I want so I try to reason in my simple mind that it is more like a trade (which I like to do) and sometimes that alleviates the sellers remorse. GO JETS!

Dewey2007
05-10-2008, 11:50 AM

This particular jersey is a 2001 Chidi Ahanotu #72 Rams jersey. The seller indicated that this was one of his favorite players so maybe he is having some seller's remorse. No reason to doubt him but just thought it was kind of random since it has been 3 months since I purchased it.

bubbrubb25
05-10-2008, 11:57 AM
This particular jersey is a 2001 Chidi Ahanotu #72 Rams jersey. The seller indicated that this was one of his favorite players so maybe he is having some seller's remorse. No reason to doubt him but just thought it was kind of random since it has been 3 months since I purchased it.
So....are you going to sell it back to him?

Dewey2007
05-10-2008, 12:11 PM
No, I'm keeping it for now. It's one of only two football jerseys I have and I like them both. I told him that I'd let him know if I ever decide to sell it in the future.

David
05-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I've never had a seller ask to buy something back, though I've won in auction items I'd sold before. I bought and sold a player autographed painting twice-- each time for profit. I have had people a couple of times wish to sell back an item they earlier bought, one was a 1959 Topps baseball complete set.

dcgreg25
05-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I sold a Travis Hafner GU Tulsa Drillers hat with tons of use that I sold about a year or two ago that I wish I could buy back. I didnt realize how much I liked it until I sold it. Great hat and a minor league one at that. But I never contacted the buyer about it but have kept my eyes open for it.

Neely8
05-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Dewey,
Can you email me at njvette1@aol.com? I may have something you are interested in. Thanks, John.

kjjavic
05-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I buy and sell a lot of vintage 19th century sports photographs in addition to collecting game used items. I had a interesting situation with a photograph lately. About a year ago I bought a 1890s baseball photo from a Ebay dealer, I kept it for a little while and sold it about six months later to a local dealer for $100 profit. I guess the local dealer sold it to the Ebay dealer at some point, because I bought the same photo back this month from the original ebay seller for about $20 less than I originally paid. Odd little way this photo has made its way around.