PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds cut by Padres....

bigtruck260
05-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Probably the end to an excellent career. Wish he could have gone out a Cardinal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080509&content_id=2669243&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Redbird64
05-09-2008, 05:52 PM
For all intensive purposes he did.....Maybe the Cards will invite him back to mentor some of the "young" guys.....

Rob L
05-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Sad to hear. He was one of my favorite Angel players. I won't be surprised if he ends up helping the Angels organization since he lives 20 minutes from the Big A.

10thMan
05-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I`m in San Diego & I didn`t even get to see him play (live) I read about it on C-List, but I would tend to believe you guys first, wow! The Pads need all the help they can get. All the best to Jim, he`s been a great Outfielder,
Sean

geoff
05-10-2008, 02:31 AM
Orioles should make a run at him.

nyjetsfan14
05-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I know I will be in the minority on this one but to me...he was the premeir fielding centerfielding outfielder of his time - at or above Griffey and Andrew Jones. Truly an incredibly underated player who put forth a great career and a blast to watch go get the ball.

bigtime59
05-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Orioles should make a run at him.

I think that is exactly the opposite of what they should be doing. Here's a link to the Orioles Hangout discussion on this topic.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63275

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Chris78
05-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I know that he played at the Phillies/Padres game on April 30th because I was there and did not realize that he was still playing. I probably saw one of the last games that he may ever play in.

Chris

MSpecht
05-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I agree that Edmonds was top-notch in his day. Unfortunately, the fans in San Diego this year only had the pleasure of watching him almost get to balls hit to center.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

bigtruck260
05-10-2008, 05:15 PM
His career offensive numbers are not enough to get him into the Hall of Fame...but his defense might give him some cred. down the road. If you put together all of his spectacular plays, you would have enough footage for a feature film.

Edmonds will be remembered in STL for his stellar defense, his uppercut swing that was devastating in his prime...his penchant to look terrible when he struck out (something he had in common with Willie McGee)...and his dramatic acting on inside pitches.

Jimmy played a very shallow center, which is why he made so many over the shoulder catches. 60% of his diving plays probably did not require a dive...but in that respect, he was a performer. He was entertaining to watch when good, and putrid when he was slumping.

All in all, he was one of the best all around center fielders I have seen in my 32 years of life. In his era, only a few guys were contemporaries...Griffey being better, and Andrew Jones and Tori Hunter just after him.

No doubt he will be coaching someday - and I think Cards fans would love to see him in the dugout at some point.

Billyu40
05-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Well it looks like the Blue Jays need a CF now.

skyking26
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Bad thing is, when a team like SD cuts you, where are you gonna go? HOME.

Everybody has an end...

bigtruck260
05-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Looks like Edmonds is going to be a Cub. And Felix Pie is being sent back down to AAA.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/50213?eref=sircrc

RobSteinmetz
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
A few years ago, my wife and I sat with Edmonds at the first Pujols Family Foundation Gala. I was mortified when my wife announced to Edmonds and GM Walt Jocketty that I was a Cubs fan. Ouch! Edmonds then went on a rampage about how much he hates Wrigley Field. Perhaps the field renovation changed his opinion, but it would be a shocker to see him sign with the Cubs. Given the fact that he was my favorite player on the Cardinals for several years, I might be the only guy in Chicago happy about this signing.

nyjetsfan14
05-13-2008, 04:05 PM
A few years ago, my wife and I sat with Edmonds at the first Pujols Family Foundation Gala. I was mortified when my wife announced to Edmonds and GM Walt Jocketty that I was a Cubs fan. Ouch! Edmonds then went on a rampage about how much he hates Wrigley Field. Perhaps the field renovation changed his opinion, but it would be a shocker to see him sign with the Cubs. Given the fact that he was my favorite player on the Cardinals for several years, I might be the only guy in Chicago happy about this signing.

And you have the sweetest Edmonds jersey ever made on your site...what an absolute beaut. This is what I am talking about making it hard to stick to one team sometimes. As a big Halos fan, that jersey makes me want to grab it and start an Angels collection. If there are any big Edmonds or Angels fans reading this, the jersey is a must see/have in my opinion.

bigtruck260
05-13-2008, 04:27 PM

If in fact Edmonds does sign, I will be a very happy Cardinals fan. I really like Jimmy...he is a great all-time Cardinals (and Angels player) and a great guy period. But to see him whiff royally in a Cubs uni would make me happy.

Sorry sir Robert, I just can't stand 99.9% of Cubs fans. You have proven your worth to me, so I'll forgive you.;)

RobSteinmetz
05-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Dave,

I appreciate being included in the .1% you can tolerate. Counting you and my wife, I've now proven my worth to two Cardinals fans.

Best,

Rob