PDA

View Full Version : Bat weight loss over time?

matt
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I am looking at my first vintage (late 60's) bat from a player who never seems to have ordered a bat less than 33 oz's. Most were 34 oz's The bat currently weighs 31.9 oz's. Could it have lost 1-2 ounces over 45 years?

If so, is there any guideline on weight loss.

Thanks!
Matt

David
05-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Climate will have a lot to do with it. A bat will lose more water over time in Arizona than in Cuba.

Birdbats
05-07-2008, 06:22 PM
If stored in a dry place, I don't think 1-2 ounces of weight loss over time is out of the question. I'd be skeptical of a loss of more than 2 ounces, though.

You might want to search past threads -- weight gain and loss has been discussed before.

MSpecht
05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Here is a link to one of the better of several threads on the subject.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1341&highlight=weight+loss

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

David
05-07-2008, 11:29 PM
I asked the bat question today to a chemical and biological engineering professor. He said that geography and finish would effect any weight loss. He also said that the wood was probably well dried out before being made into a bat, so there wouldn't be a lot of water loss. However, he imaged a bit of weight loss would be plausible over lengthy time.

BMH
05-08-2008, 07:25 AM
I think the key is to what MC the wood is dried to when the turners use it. We keep a higher MC in our wood (especially the Ash) to give it a little more flex. The reasoning is this helps a little with the bats not breaking in two when a pitcher goes to the inside.

So if the bat starts out at 11%MC and goes to Arizona I'll get it back and it might be 6%MC. It will have lost over an ounce or more.

Story time:

Bill Hall placed an Opening day order with us for some 35in/32oz black C271's. After he got them his EM called us to say the bats didn't feel right;they felt very end heavy. He then sent us a C271 he had from last year that he loved and said was the perfect bat. When I got the bat it was a black 35in. C271C and only weighed 30.5oz. No wonder his new ones felt end heavy...

Most your bat companies now use water based stains and lacquers on their bats, this allows the wood to breathe more than the old oil based lacquers we used before.

jboosted92
05-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I think the key is to what MC the wood is dried to when the turners use it. We keep a higher MC in our wood (especially the Ash) to give it a little more flex. The reasoning is this helps a little with the bats not breaking in two when a pitcher goes to the inside.

So if the bat starts out at 11%MC and goes to Arizona I'll get it back and it might be 6%MC. It will have lost over an ounce or more.

Story time:

Bill Hall placed an Opening day order with us for some 35in/32oz black C271's. After he got them his EM called us to say the bats didn't feel right;they felt very end heavy. He then sent us a C271 he had from last year that he loved and said was the perfect bat. When I got the bat it was a black 35in. C271C and only weighed 30.5oz. No wonder his new ones felt end heavy...

Most your bat companies now use water based stains and lacquers on their bats, this allows the wood to breathe more than the old oil based lacquers we used before.

Dave Grob wrote a great article on the MEARS site awhile back discussing this. I have seen sidewritten bats say 38 oz on them, and they weigh 34...and thats proof.

Location, condition, and Time are all 3 keys.