PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mantle Bat In Vintage Authentics?

yankees159
05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I am genuinely interested in trying to understand more about team index bats and I saw one in Vintage Authentics auction that has me a bit confused. I am no expert on bats so any help would be much appreciated.

The bat I am referring to is listed as a Mickey Mantle 1950-60 Team Index Bat with a grade of SCDA 7.5. The bat is currently at a bid of $6,766.16 (which is over $8,000 with the premium). The bat is a K55 Mantle bat and is 34 inches long. I have checked Mantle’s records and the only 34 inch K55 bat he ever ordered was in 1968, his last year in baseball (and that order is listed as 30 ounces).

Here is the description from the auction:

This extremely rare H&B Louisville Slugger K55 signature model bat shows heavy game use and originates from Mickey Mantle's early years of his career circa 1950-60. The fantastic example measures 32.8 oz and 34" matching team index records for shipments of professional model Mickey Mantle K55 bats as well as K55 34" bats with the weight not listed but perfect for a Mantle game bat.

The bat shows heavy game use overall with desirable heavy ball marks on both sides of the barrel indicating switch hitter use, black rack marks, and one very distinct cleat mark. The handle has suffered a fine 4" crack along with some grain swelling through the barrel and there appears to be a faded "M" which had been markered on the knob. Overall a rare 1950s Mickey Mantle game used team index bat earning a final quality authentic grade of 7.5.

I also looked at the SCDA LOA and noticed the following statement (it is the last sentence in the page under the “SCD Authentic Add’l” link):

Very rare 1950s Mickey Mantle game used bat.

Can someone help me here? I have passed on bats like this is the past because I didn’t think they could be game used and I’m wondering if I’m missing something. If I am wrong I’d like to know because I think there is a significant opportunity to pick up bats like these and make some money on the resale.

Thanks.

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer}

JimCaravello
05-07-2008, 05:50 AM
There is a ton of information on this site relative to understanding Team Index Bats. I would perform a search for Team Index Bats and you will find everything I think you need to know about them. Here is a link to an article I wrote about the subject.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/memorabilia-news/understanding-team-index-bats-a-valuable-lesson.html

Here is a link to a lengthy thread on this topic from this Forum - and as mentioned, there are other threads and information available if you perform a search.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8663&highlight=team+index+bats

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, Jim