PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Bat

AWA85
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Ok, I am thinking about selling a few items and putting the college graduation money towards a Ken Griffey Jr bat (I've got time to save money in grad school). This may seem like a dumb question but what is the difference between the Upper Deck C271 autographed bats and game used ones? Couldn't anyone put the Griffey tape job on an Upper Deck bat? I am looking at the one on ebay from PressPass and was just curious. If anyone else has any information, please feel free to share.

indyred
05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
It's a retail bat. The 125 is underlined, they don't show the bottom of the handle. It most likley has a # stamped in it for the length. Doesn't have his team name on it either.

AWA85
05-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Thank you, didn't even think about that part. Anyone know how long Griffey used G176 model bats or when? Trying to put together plenty of information before I make a purchase!

kingjammy24
05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
if i were adding a griffey gamer to my collection, personally i'd go for the classic; black C271 with criss-cross tape job from his glory days with the mariners. i still don't understand the real reason behind the swingman vs team name bats. apparently the swingman bats were the bats griffey ordered himself in order to resell. in that case, why order any with the teamname at all? how did griffey decide which bats to use and when?

anyway, there are 3 immensely helpful gentlemen on this site who would likely provide you with a wealth of assistance. brian hillerich, jim caravello, and mike specht. brian works for LVS and could help tell you which models, lengths, weights, and finishes griffey ordered during specific years. brian's been extremely helpful to myself and others on this site, as have mike and jim in sharing their substantial bat expertise. brian posts under the name BMH.

john taube, at gameusedbats.com, currently has a nice 91-97 griffey gamer on his site.

re: team names on bats
correct me if i'm wrong but team names on LVSs only came into effect in 1991. 1990 saw no team name and 1989 and prior had "louisville slugger" under the player name/signature. griffey came into the league in 1989 so it's conceivable that there may be some 1989 LVS griffey gamers that would not have the team name on the barrel.

rudy.