PDA

View Full Version : To Sign Or Not To Sign

tigerdale
05-04-2008, 10:38 AM
OK, here's a subject I'd love opinions on. For this thread, I'm talking modern day, since the MLB authentication program. If you had a nice, rare, unique collectable, would you have it signed? Back in the day, it may have been one of the few ways to authenticate an item. But weve all had the dissapointment of a signature fading w/ time, even if its stored away.
Also, does it deface the collectable?? If the signatures authenticated, now we have even more stickers on the item, taking away more eye apeal & eroding its true nature. Say its a home run ball, a lineup card from a world series game..or even something more rare....does a signature hurt it?? Now remember, these items are all MLB authenticated, so theres no question as to the authenticy of the item we are speaking...I guess I tend to keep the valuable, historic pieces as original as I can & get the signatures on the more everyday items.....for example, a authenticated home run ball, keep original...have a game ball from that game signed.. what does everyone else think??

bigtruck260
05-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I might be in the minority here.

Those stickers are a blight - even the MLB hlograms. Unless the item is really expensive, and I plan to move it someday...I refuse to have a signature authenticated. I do not buy items that are questionable. Period. The stickers take away from the uniqueness of the item.

All of the services have at some point cost me money on an item that I had signed in person (they failed)...or cost me a sale because an item failed "quick opinion". The quality is just not there for me.

And as reliable as MLB holograms are...I would bet that that system is not 100% accurate with the game used stuff.

I'll do my research and take my chances.

10thMan
05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Tiger, this is interesting...
I like stuff Signed, but also agree that Stickers I can do without. I have a few Baseballs that are MLB Authenticated, but not sure I want them Signed, due to leaving them "as is" Pretty much want a Bat Signed, Sticker(s) or Not, maybe just due to more surface area.
Sean

suave1477
05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
OK, here's a subject I'd love opinions on. For this thread, I'm talking modern day, since the MLB authentication program. If you had a nice, rare, unique collectable, would you have it signed? Back in the day, it may have been one of the few ways to authenticate an item. But weve all had the dissapointment of a signature fading w/ time, even if its stored away.
Also, does it deface the collectable?? If the signatures authenticated, now we have even more stickers on the item, taking away more eye apeal & eroding its true nature. Say its a home run ball, a lineup card from a world series game..or even something more rare....does a signature hurt it?? Now remember, these items are all MLB authenticated, so theres no question as to the authenticy of the item we are speaking...I guess I tend to keep the valuable, historic pieces as original as I can & get the signatures on the more everyday items.....for example, a authenticated home run ball, keep original...have a game ball from that game signed.. what does everyone else think??

Tigerdale im glad you have such faith in the MLB Authentication program but unfortunately they are not a 100% between the online system itself and just there word. example even if a item shows heavy wear they will not consider it game used unless they saw it themselves with there own eyes. I mean they least they could do is autheticate it being game used and include they are unsure of the user!!!

So the MLB system is not accurate.

I also agree with the other poster im not a big fan of the mlb holograms being placed directly in plain view I would rather them be placed on the back of an item or some where unoticeable.

What ever items I can have signed by the actual player with the comfort of knowing he used it and even asking him to look at it and see if he feels he used it, I will have them signed. As far as line up cards I own 2 one from 1988 Mets signed by Davey Johnson and Darryl Strawberry and one from 2006 Yankees Season signed by a few of the players.

And yes players have said they are not comfortable with an item and at that point I asked him to not sign it.

But 99.9% of my items come from a reliable source of some sort and I only buy it after I have done my own home work before hand.

Fnazxc0114
05-04-2008, 10:17 PM
i was recently at a josh hamilton signing and the dealer seemed surprised i didnt want his half cent sticker on my item. i think the holograms look like crap. i might be out of the loop but it would be nice if they made some that could only seen with a black light. then it wouldnt be so unsightly. also too thanks to this sight i have a good idea of what im looking for as for an item being authentic so i really dont need the hologram. thanks to all the guys that help out all of us new collectors on the sight. josh