PDA

View Full Version : Mastro: 1989 Bo Jackson jersey

kingjammy24
05-02-2008, 05:38 PM
good to know there's still money to made in selling scoreboard shirts.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=79870&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1

they'll barely sell for $100 on ebay, but apparently they're still good for $700 at mastro. not sure what the difference is between "minimal wear" and "no wear".

rudy.

kingjammy24
05-02-2008, 08:59 PM
what a coincidence

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150242719687

"Jackson's abreviated career makes finding his game worn jerseys an imposing task. There just aren't many out there. Never again has another athlete exhibited Bo's combined talents of strength, speed, agility and coordination. Never again might you find another Bo Jackson game worn jersey this nice! Don't miss this opportunity."

you could probably find a few dozen like that one again. dan ceniceros might still have a few lying around. $100 says they'll all be home whites labeled "set 2". those pesky 1989 road jerseys and set 1's seem impossible to find. i wonder if ed will get anywhere close to the $700 that mastro got.

rudy.

Danny899
05-03-2008, 01:40 PM
So what did he say when you told the seller it was a Scoreboard jersey? He had a Seaver awhile back also. Certainly you contacted him before posting your opinion here.

nick1980
05-04-2008, 11:48 AM
good to know there's still money to made in selling scoreboard shirts.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=79870&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1

they'll barely sell for $100 on ebay, but apparently they're still good for $700 at mastro. not sure what the difference is between "minimal wear" and "no wear".

rudy.

It is sad that they sell for so much as "game used" when they aren't but if you can really find them for $100 I will buy 10 right now. Even if the seller admits it is from scoreboard they are worth at the very least $300 still a very nice jersey just not used other than that nothing is dfferent.

kingjammy24
05-04-2008, 02:39 PM
So what did he say when you told the seller it was a Scoreboard jersey? He had a Seaver awhile back also. Certainly you contacted him before posting your opinion here.

certainly danny. ed and i hashed it out in a scintillating conversation. here's a summary of his response

"..You sound like one of those want-to-be-experts from one of those chatty-cathy blog sites... sound familiar? Please tell me resident expert, did Bo Jackson ever wear a Set 2 Home? If your answer is no, you must be in total denial." plus a whole lot of other nonsense of how ed knows "more than anyone in the entire hobby about Phillies jerseys" and how i should "come down to earth", "look in the mirror" and i don't know anything and he once bought jerseys directly from mike schmidt and, as is often the case, it was all completely pointless. [content removed]

chatty cathy rudy.

kingjammy24
05-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Even if the seller admits it is from scoreboard they are worth at the very least $300...

nick, were you at the national the last time it was in anaheim? ('06 i think). you would've had a field day..one guy had some unsigned ones on his rack for $70 a pop. bo jackson was at that national signing autographs for something like $70. $140 and you could have had your scoreboard jersey signed. anyway, contact dan ceniceros. he's on this board. he may still have some left. he openly stated that many years ago he purchased a bulk of them from scoreboard. of course dan sold them as "game issued" on ebay and oddly enough never mentioned that he bought them from scoreboard in his ebay ads.

rudy.

Danny899
05-04-2008, 03:41 PM
certainly danny. ed and i hashed it out in a scintillating conversation. here's a summary of his response

"..You sound like one of those want-to-be-experts from one of those chatty-cathy blog sites... sound familiar? Please tell me resident expert, did Bo Jackson ever wear a Set 2 Home? If your answer is no, you must be in total denial." plus a whole lot of other nonsense of how ed knows "more than anyone in the entire hobby about Phillies jerseys" and how i should "come down to earth", "look in the mirror" and i don't know anything and he once bought jerseys directly from mike schmidt and, as is often the case, it was all completely pointless. he couldn't have been more disinterested. i guess as long as there's money to be made.

chatty cathy rudy.

Rudy,
Did the Scoreboard jersey include the All Star patch? I don't remember. I do know that many Scoreboard shirts show up as gamers. Most recently a Seaver surfaced. I even saw a Schmidt jersey (89 I think?) with the Tapered tag in the collar along with the set tagging. Looked real but again, a replica sold by others as game used. I collect Rickey Henderson jerseys and I can't tell you how many 1991 Set 1's are out there as gamers. Weak. As far as your unpleasant conversation with the seller, you should read my post on arrogance and self proclaimed experts. There are many out there. Some right on this forum!
Dan

kingjammy24
05-04-2008, 04:04 PM
danny

re: the seaver scoreboard shirts
i don't know.

re: schmidt scoreboard shirts
scoreboard did release schmidt jerseys

re: rickey henderson jerseys
i'm a big fan of rickey as well. i have a folder in my photo library dedicated to nothing but photos of 1989-1993 henderson jerseys that have come on the market. 1991 home jerseys do indeed seem to be in heavy supply. there aren't nearly as many 1991 road jerseys. wonder why? anyway, of all of the 1989-1993 henderson A's jerseys in my library, none of them have custom-hemmed tails. i don't know when henderson first began custom-hemming the tails on some of his jerseys but i do have a photo of a 1993 jays gamer of his with a custom-hemmed tail so i have to think that it began at least as early as '93 and likely earlier. my beef with the overwhelming majority of henderson A's jerseys out there is the relative lack of wear. henderson was hard-playing, base-stealing maniac yet all of the A's jerseys i see of his on the market show very light wear. one of these days i'd like to see a henderson A's gamer, with serious use, a custom-hemmed tail and maybe even an A's letter. i know he didn't hem the tail on all of his jerseys but i've seen around 15 1989-1993 henderson A's jerseys and not a single one had a hemmed tail. the funny thing about 1989-1993 A's jerseys is that there seem to be a good supply of mcgwires, hendersons, and eckersleys yet i can't find a single dave henderson, moore, steinbach, gallego, or welch.

re: dolan
if sartre were alive today and had the pleasure of speaking with ed dolan, his famous quote "hell is other people" would've probably been "hell is an email conversation with ed dolan".

rudy.

Danny899
05-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Rudy,
Henderson began tailoring his button down jerseys long before 1993. This was done to reduce abraisons resulting from head first slides. Some are professionally tailored yet many appear to be crudely cut with a scissor. A 91 home A's with the All Star patch and a 1 year style 1982 Wilson show this scissor type cut. Both are hammered. There are jerseys that show great wear and have Henderson's or the A's letter that are not cut. The only consistency is the inconsistency. Like you said, his type of play show show decent wear.

kingjammy24
05-04-2008, 06:10 PM
A 91 home A's with the All Star patch

holy smokes, the gamer that he used in the 1991 all-star game in toronto?
do you have photos of that jersey? i'd really love to see it. email me at
petrucious2000@yahoo.com

rudy.

karamaxjoe
05-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Rudy,
Did the Scoreboard jersey include the All Star patch? I don't remember. I do know that many Scoreboard shirts show up as gamers. Most recently a Seaver surfaced. I even saw a Schmidt jersey (89 I think?) with the Tapered tag in the collar along with the set tagging. Looked real but again, a replica sold by others as game used. I collect Rickey Henderson jerseys and I can't tell you how many 1991 Set 1's are out there as gamers. Weak. As far as your unpleasant conversation with the seller, you should read my post on arrogance and self proclaimed experts. There are many out there. Some right on this forum!
Dan

I don't recall Seaver ever being included in the Scoreboard jerseys. The list should have been Bo Jackson, Jose Canseco, Ken Griffey Jr., Nolan Ryan, Darryl Strawberry, Gregg Jefferies, Mike Schmidt, Will Clark and Willy Mays. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike