PDA

View Full Version : Mastro: 2006 Arod uniform

kingjammy24
05-02-2008, 05:36 PM
http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=79870&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1

pretty interesting to say the least. no steiner docs. steiner's been notified. would love to know why mastro chose to run it with no steiner docs, no player provenance.

rudy.

lund6771
05-02-2008, 09:46 PM
come on Rudy!!!

you've been around long enough!!...it came "out the back door"....or its from a "team source"

Danny899
05-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Do you really think a Yankees jersey is only good if it has a Steiner letter? I understand that it makes a piece more attractive, but to hang your hat solely on that without doing any research doesn't make much sense. Also, haven't members here pointed out some mistakes oon Steiner gamers? As far as player provenance, how often do you actually see that? Do some research on an item and don't put all your trust in a piece of paper.

kingjammy24
05-03-2008, 02:30 PM
"Do you really think a Yankees jersey is only good if it has a Steiner letter?"

for post 2005 jerseys, especially superstar jerseys, i'd want to see a steiner letter or player provenance. barring either of those, i'd like to see some credible explanation as to how the uniform escaped steiner's clutches and made its way to the market. the mastro jersey seems to have none of these. given the proliferation of yankee superstar procuts, i think it's important to establish provenance on an item that steiner claims to have exclusive rights on.

if i'm clear on this, a 2006 complete Arod uniform shows up, with no steiner docs and no other solid provenance, and you aren't in the least bit skeptical how or why that is?

"Also, haven't members here pointed out some mistakes oon Steiner gamers?"

yes and? the implication being that steiner made an error in this case and let a complete Arod uniform go without documenting it whatsoever?

"As far as player provenance, how often do you actually see that?"

on Arod yankees jerseys, all the time. in fact, i can't remember the last legit Arod jersey that didn't have player/team provenance.

"Do some research on an item and don't put all your trust in a piece of paper."

thanks for that nugget of wisdom danny. let me leave you with some words from sean mahoney, executive VP of the steiner-yankees program about this particular mastro jersey:

"In my opinion, the item is not game used... If it is really team issued (or used), it should have our letter with it... Every one of Arod uniforms since our deal began has been documented..."

apparently i'm not the only one who viewed this Arod shirt with some curiosity as the entire uniform sold for only $2500. out of curiosity were you the consigner or bidder on this item?

rudy.

Danny899
05-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Yes, if it doesn't have a Steiner letter I would be somewhat skeptical. But I certainly wouldn't let that deter me from making a purchase. It probably went for only $2500 beacuse many collectors understandably are like yourself that are sold on a Steiner letter. You've really never seen a legit Arod jersey without Arod's personal provenance? Did you happen to notice the name, "Natasha" in the waistband? Who else would put that there? Wouldn't that make part of you sway? You don't think players trade items with opponents? Lastly, no I wasn't the consignor, I only collect.

kingjammy24
05-03-2008, 04:15 PM
"Yes, if it doesn't have a Steiner letter I would be somewhat skeptical. But I certainly wouldn't let that deter me from making a purchase."

i'll be the first to say that steiner's made errors. usually mis-labeling or mis-identifying things. sometimes selling retail items as game-issued/used. i'll also say that i've seen arod divert pieces from "exclusive" programs like meigray and steiner. all of that said, you have to use steiner's claim of 2005+ yankees exclusivity and mahoney's assertion that they've accounted for all of arod's uniforms as a baseline. for the mastro jersey to be a legit gamer, it means arod circumvented the program (not unusual) and mahoney is mistaken about his database. you'll note that i never said the jersey is bad. my original post simply said that it was interesting that it lacked steiner or player docs.

obviously, i've seen provenance be overhyped and sometimes incorrect. that doesn't say it's unimportant or irrelevant. when you've got a 2006 yankees superstar jersey with no certs from a place that says they have exclusive rights and, more importantly, that they've accounted for all of arod's uniforms since 2005, then i think it's important to try to ascertain where it could've come from.

"Did you happen to notice the name, "Natasha" in the waistband? Who else would put that there?"

danny, i'm unsure if you're joking here. humor sometimes doesn't travel well on the web. who else would put that there? anyone with a marker?there are people out there doing immaculate forgeries of all manner and you wonder who could possibly possess the great skill to write "natasha" in marker on a waistband in order to help make a superstar item seem legit? maybe the same person who made an extremely convincing fake jordan unc shooting shirt that almost sold for thousands at mastro. maybe the same people who skillfully resew tags, expertly use acetones to fade ink tags, who forge letters of provenance, etc.

"Wouldn't that make part of you sway?"

is it even in arod's handwriting? who knows, right? is the word "natasha" written in someone's handwriting in marker enough to make me sway on a 2006 arod uniform with no steiner or player certs? not even close. if i understand it then, the fact that the uniform comes with no steiner certs is of little concern to you. the fact that someone wrote "natasha" on the waistband in marker is a big selling point?

"You don't think players trade items with opponents?"

absolutely. in such a case, i'd like to see some provenance. if the player didn't want it to be known that he was selling something that arod gave him, then what are you left to go on? "natasha"? "natasha" can be penned by any moron with a marker and the ability to read rodriguez's wikipedia entry.

rudy.

Danny899
05-03-2008, 04:48 PM
"Did you happen to notice the name, "Natasha" in the waistband? Who else would put that there?"

danny, i'm unsure if you're joking here. humor sometimes doesn't travel well on the web.

Yes, that was an attempt at humor, poor as it may be. That was geared toward the collectors who think because "Game Used" is written on the piece, hey it must be a gamer! It did look like a real nice jersey though, wouldn't you agree? And you're right humor doesn't always travel well on the web, especially this site. Try questioning some of the elite members here or calling them out on some of their comments and I guarantee they make 1 or both of the below listed expressions.
:mad: :eek:

suave1477
05-05-2008, 12:43 AM
I would have to agree with KingJammy

An item like this should come with a Steiner letter or when it works out the back door it normally will come with an Arod letter.