PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Richardson bat in Sotheby's auction

cjclong
05-01-2008, 01:24 PM
There was a bat from former 1960's second baseman Bobby Richardson in the Sotheby's auction that ended several days ago. I had been looking for a Richardson bat, but found out about the auction to late to bid on it. Does anyone know if it sold, and if so, what did it go for. (There was also a glove and helmet included in the lot.)

MSpecht
05-01-2008, 11:38 PM
The Bobby Richardson Richardson game-used ensamble (glove, bat, helmet, and spikes) sold in Sotheby's on April 24, 2008 for $6,250.00 hammer price with buyer's premium.

The bat, H & B model K55 with Wally Moses signature on the barrel (and signed by Richardson) is documented in Richardson's H & B factory records in 1964, 1965, and 1966. The photo appears that the bat is from 1965 or 1966, although no dimensions or reference to factory records appeared in the description.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

cjclong
05-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the information. Interesting he was using another players bat model. Does anyone know if he ever ordered bats with his own signature and where is the information as to his bat orders available ? Thanks again.

JimCaravello
05-02-2008, 10:53 AM
cjclong:

He did order many signature model bats during his career. We have the records for Richy, so if you have any more specific questions, Mike and I can answer them.

I have attached a picture of my 1964 Bobby Richardson GU All Star Bat - one of my favorites in my collection - has great use and comes with a letter from Bobby stating that he used it in the game and got a hit with it........

Let us know how we can help further. Thanks, Jim

cjclong
05-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Jim, thanks for the information and the picture of the bat. Its a great bat and I'm jealous. I wondered what the length and weight were for bats Richardson would have used in 1961 and 1962? I had heard that Richardson used a Nellie Fox model bat during part of his career, but I didn't know if he simply used Fox bats with Fox name on the barrel or if he had bats made like Fox's with his own name on the barrel. And again, thanks for the picture. My Dad two me to two games and at Yankee Stadium in 1962 and with all the players like Mantle and Maris, Richardson was the only one to hit a home run. I think he hit 8 that year.

JimCaravello
05-02-2008, 01:51 PM
In 1961 and 1962, he used several different models - H117, K55, U1, R43, O16, and G69. Bats ranged from 34.5" to 36" in length with weights between 31 and 38 ounces. On March 33, 1962, he had an O16 order of 36" and 38 ounces - huge bat. I am sure with the bigger bats he choked up and with the smaller bats, he was down near the knob when gripping the handle. He ordered a bunch of Fox models ( C12 ) in the late 50's...........The U1 models in 1961 and 1962 appear to be Johnny Temple Signature model bats...........there are four K55 orders in 1962 that specifically state "Bob Cerv Auto on Bats". My Cerv in my collection is actually a K55 model, but from the 50's.

There is a Don Mueller order in the 1950's and Wally Moses bats ordered in the 60's - very interesting stuff.........

My All Star bat is 36" long and weighs 35 ounces. It's huge!

Thanks for the compliment on my bat. I searched for a long - long time to find her........

Jim

cjclong
05-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Jim, thanks so much for providing all the information. It was really nice of you to take the time. I've been looking for a Richardson bat from around 61 or 62 for a long time. Maybe some day......

JimCaravello
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
My pleasure........good luck in the hunt! Jim

Hal Teitelbaum
05-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Jim or Mike,

Thanks Jim for posting your question and for the reminder to ask how many C12 bats Richardson ordered in 1958. I was fortunate to get one years ago. I think his bats are the rarest of the 1961 Yankee starters.

Nice 1964 All Star bat. By the way, I guess I'm in the minority too, preferring unsigned bats.

Hal

MSpecht
05-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi Hal---hope all is well up north...

Here are Richardson's C12 orders for 1958:

5/15/56 C12 34 inch / 32 ounce / Fox signature / 3 bats
6/16/58 C12 34 inch / 32 ounce / Fox signature / 3 bats
6/19/58 C12 34 inch / 32 ounce / Richardson sig / 6 bats
8/27/58 C12 34 inch / 32 ounce / Fox signature / 6 bats
9/22/58 C12 34 in / 31 oz/ Richardson sig /World Series/ 2 bats

How did you initially date the bat to 1958 --- the Riddell Theory ?? It is also interesting to note that the above orders were his only orders of C12 bats in his entire career except for one additional order on 2/6/59 (34 in / 31 oz / Richardson sig / 3 bats). Also note that the second order listed above may be 5/16/58.-- records hard to read on that one.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Hal Teitelbaum
05-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Mike,

Not many bat people can call Orange County up north. Thanks for providing the Richardson C12 order dates. I bought this bat from Bill Riddell in 1995 just about the time he developed the 1958 theory. That theory has stood the test of time. Do you think it should be considered a fact?

MSpecht
05-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Hal-- That is a great bat, matching the records for a specific limited time frame and further validating the Riddell Theory. For those collectors who are not familiar with it, the Riddell Theory was first proposed by Orange county collector Bill Riddell when amassing his own game used bat collection and additionally doing research that led to the printing of the book BATS: Professional Hillerich & Bradsby and Adirondack, 1950-1994.

Basically, it was found that several easily identified unique variations existed in the branding of H & B professional model bats over the years, some that could be pinpointed to specific years. In this case, Bill identified a small notch that appeared at the 2 o'clock location of the center brand. After extensive research of H & B records (such as Hal's Richardson bat in which a specific model was ordered only one or two times and specific to a particular year) and identifying several examples that were verified to be year-specific by the source (often batboys,) it was theorized that the die that contained tthis unique labeling 'flaw' was used only on some bats manufactured in 1958. This label variation does not occur on all bats manufactured in 1958, but the bats that it has been seen on can accurately be linked to that year. As I recall, the variation was most often seen on bats manufactured by American League players.

Bill's theory has withstood the test of time for about 15 years now, and this Richardson bat is another example that supports the theory through records verification. It is safe to say that the Riddell Theory can be used as an accurate method to pinpoint 1958 as the year of manufacture for the bats that contain this specific center brand. A photo of the 1958 variation is posted below. For a review of nine labeling abnormalities, see page 31 of Vince Malta's A complete Reference Guide to Louisville Slugger Professional Player Bats.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com