PDA

View Full Version : Historic Auctions Mets Jersey-what Is It?

hblakewolf
04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Historic Auctions, item #41376. Not only is the description worth a good laugh (who wore it and what year??), but the tag in the collar appears similar to a salesman sample. I've seen this tagging on quite a few samples, where the content and tackle twill information is noted, but never on a gamer. TNT TOYS or any other Mets collector care to comment?

The item description is as follows:

"This authentic Mets game used jersey was used by an unknown player wearing number ten. The jersey was used in the 1980's and is in great shape".

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net (hblakewolf@patmedia.net)

flaco1801
04-30-2008, 05:01 PM
yes howard its a salesman sample

both-teams-played-hard
04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
I think all jersey researchers should inspect the collar or tail of 70s and 80s shirts and search for stitch marks that would sew a larger than normal "patch".
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6500/salessampvj4.jpg
I only know of Wilson and Rawlings using the "typed" specifications, size and factory codes on a sewn-on patch. I know other companies used the same typed specifications on attatched or stapeled-on, cardboard tags (ie.Spanjian, Sand Knit, Russell, etc.). Does anyone know examples of the sewn swatch on salesman samples besides Wilson and Rawlings?
Please note the spelling of "D-U-R-E-N-E". Why do hockey collectors spell it "dureen"? Durene is just cotton. Often blended with nylon to form the shiney, sturdy material known to collectors simply as "durene".

both-teams-played-hard
04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Durene cotton is cotton treated with the chemical "durene" to prevent shrinking, add luster and shine, and make easier to absorb dyes. It is often (but not always) blended with nylon to make, thicker, stronger and sturdier.
The same process is referred to as "sanfordizing".

hblakewolf
04-30-2008, 08:14 PM
I think all jersey researchers should inspect the collar or tail of 70s and 80s shirts and search for stitch marks that would sew a larger than normal "patch".
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6500/salessampvj4.jpg
I only know of Wilson and Rawlings using the "typed" specifications, size and factory codes on a sewn-on patch. I know other companies used the same typed specifications on attatched or stapeled-on, cardboard tags (ie.Spanjian, Sand Knit, Russell, etc.). Does anyone know examples of the sewn swatch on salesman samples besides Wilson and Rawlings?
Please note the spelling of "D-U-R-E-N-E". Why do hockey collectors spell it "dureen"? Durene is just cotton. Often blended with nylon to form the shiney, sturdy material known to collectors simply as "durene".

In this case, you don't have to look too hard for stitch marks, as the patch is still present! It should be noted, that below the Historic Auctions description for this shirt, the following is noted:
Authentication:

Lou LampsonMaybe in Lampson's 80,000 photos, he has one showing a rack of these home pinstripe "gems" hanging in the Mets spring training complex, similar to the photo of the rack of Orioles green St. Pat's jerseys in their spring training facility!

Hats off to Lampson, once again.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

both-teams-played-hard
04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Regardless if The Lampman can recognize an obvious salesman sample, I think he should have passed on this item. The tip-off should have been no player wearing #10. And no, it's not even a minor league jersey. I know the term, "what a joke", gets tossed around on this forum without regard. But dang, what a joke!

TNTtoys
05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
This is a joke.

About 2 minutes of research could have led to the following determinations:

1. The Mets NEVER wore a button down home jersey in all of the 1980s.

2. The Mets NEVER had no NOB in all of the 1980s.

Yet Mr. Lampson freely authenticates this as a 1980s game worn Mets jersey. This is just proof of how little time or care goes into these authentications, but the hits just keep comin'

Nick

hblakewolf
05-01-2008, 08:13 PM
I received a response to my concerns from Historic Owner James Brown. James noted the shirt in question has been pulled from their auction.

Although removed, it still makes one ask how a correctly tagged Salesmans Sample jersey that could not be pinpointed to a year or even a specific player could be authenticated as a gamer?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

both-teams-played-hard
05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks Howard for bringing this to Mr.Brown's attention. The best anyone can do is recognize mistakes and move on. Also, it helps to honestly avoid mistakes at all costs.

hblakewolf
08-05-2008, 05:42 AM
The shirt is once again listed in the current Historic Auction. Even after pointing out the fact that this is a salesmans sample (in emails directly to James Brown), and not a chance in hell a gamer, James Brown continues to try to offer it as a legit "1980's" GAME WORN METS jersey:

http://www.historicauctions.com/search/list/auctionid/43404/

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

hblakewolf
08-05-2008, 05:44 AM
The klink is blocked from the Game Used site. To access this jersey, click on the red link, and visit "GAME USED JERSEYS (2)" to the far left of the page.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

platinum1
08-05-2008, 08:13 AM
WOW the link to the jersey was blocked by Historic Auctions I wonder why. Maybe the FBI should be knocking on there door.;) Watch out Historic Auctions there's one thing more powerfull then the All Mighty Dollar and that's the U.S GOVERMENT :)