PDA

View Full Version : Historic Auctions Game Used Blanda Helmet The Real Deal? Nope.

aeneas01
04-30-2008, 02:57 AM
rudy shot over an email today pointing me to a game used george blanda helmet, authenticated by lampson, currently listed at historic auctions - starting bid is $500.

http://www.historicauctions.com/search/list/auctionid/41385/

sadly, after looking at the helmet, i'm forced to once again do what is bad for the hobby - try to save someone some money; hope you forgive me chris. the helmet is so replete with problems that i really can't believe it actually made it to auction.

1. the outline of the number 32 can clearly be seen below the number 16 on the back of the helmet. this would suggest that blanda, a 26-year vet, 4-time pro bowler and first team all-pro was issued a hand me down helmet, a helmet once belonging to number 32.

2. the listed helmet is a rac-k2, not an rk2 as mentioned in the item description. blanda did in fact wear a rac-k2 during this period however his helmet was never reconditioned to the point of replacing the gray nose snubber and gray interior rubber webbing gaskets with the more contemporary white nose snubber and gaskets. the listed helmet has been fitted with these newer white items.

3. not only are additional facemask holes present in the listed rac-k2 helmet, but these holes have been used - blanda's rac-k2 was never drilled with additional holes. blanda switched to an tk helmet in 1974 which he wore in 1974 and 1975, his final two years in the league - his tk did have additional facemask holes, most likely factory drilled and most likely never used.

4. the number 6 decal, forming the number 16, on the back of the listed helmet is inconsistent with the font found on blanda's helmet from that period.

5. it appears that blanda's rac-k2 was fitted with a custom forehead pad in the area of the webbing leather sweatband. the listed helmet is not fitted with such a custom headband.

6. it would seem that the listed helmet most likely belonged to don highsmith (rb 1970-1972) - his number was 32, he wore a rac-k2 and he wore a clip on cage facemask which would account for the additional facemask holes appearing in the listed helmet.

is it possible that blanda could have worn this helmet at any time during his career? as an emergency backup for a series, quarter, a half or a game due to his being damaged? sure, anything is possible. but once we begin to travel down that road then virtually any game used helmet could be attributed to any hall of fame player assuming that the team and era matched. but i don't think this is what a bidder is looking for when bidding on game used items said to have belonged to a specific player - i think the bidder expects, and should expect, that the item is representative of what the player commonly wore as supported by photos and film unless otherwise stated.

historic auctions listing, lampson authenticated:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/comp01-6.jpg

1 - 1970: blanda wearing a rac-k2 - no additional facemask holes, gray snubber.
2 - 1970: font closeup - compare the number 6.
3 - 1973: last year blanda wore a rac-k2 - no additional facemask holes, gray snubber.
4 - 1970: inside of blanda's rac-k2 - custom forehead pad visible.
5 - 1970: don highsmith - number 32, clip on cage.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/comp02-5.jpg

ironmanfan
04-30-2008, 06:35 AM
But Lou REALLY does try hard to get it right

commando
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
I would love to see Blanda wearing this helmet in a single photo... Just one is all it would take. Like aeneas01 said, it is unlikely that Blanda would be issued a hand-me-down like this.... To further the issue, Blanda was used primarily as a kicker during his Raiders years -- his biggest passing year for Oakland was in 1971, when he threw 58 passes for 32 completions and four touchdowns. The numbers don't lie:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlanGe00.htm

Anyone care to find a photo of Blanda wearing a Raiders helmet this beat-up? Surely Lampson's COA doesn't say "shows positional use typical for a guy who threw a maximum of 58 passes in a season." And no, Blanda wasn't out there tackling runners on special teams, LOL.

Good work as usual, aeneas01. When are the large auction houses going to raise their standards when it comes to their authentication process? How many black eyes to they need to get?

skipcarayislegend
04-30-2008, 11:31 AM
When are the large auction houses going to raise their standards when it comes to their authentication process? How many black eyes to they need to get?

Silly commando, you have to have standards before you can raise them. ;)

aeneas01
04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
historic auctions has redirected the link to the helmet which i included in my post to a message that states "It has been determined that the site linking to ours may have unverified statements..."

unverified statements? as opposed to what - the verified statements they've used to describe this obvious fake? absolutely laughable.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/ha.jpg

karamaxjoe
04-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Robert,
I thoroughly enjoy reading your informative posts on helmet collecting. You have a certain knowledge of helmets that I don't think too many people have.

Being that I'm a jersey and bat collector as most of the forum members are here, I would love to see an educational post on the terminology of helmet collecting. Some of the terms you're throwing out there are so foreign to me that I'd like to be more educated in helmets. The jersey collectors can all talk about strip tags, labels, Wilson, Rawlings and any number of things, but when you use terms like rac-k2, rk2 and gray nose snubber, I'm completely LOST.

Keep up the good work on sniffing out those questionable helmets.

Mike

34swtns
05-01-2008, 06:12 AM
historic auctions has redirected the link to the helmet which i included in my post to a message that states "It has been determined that the site linking to ours may have unverified statements..."

unverified statements? as opposed to what - the verified statements they've used to describe this obvious fake? absolutely laughable.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/ha.jpg

Rrrriiight, because it makes so much more sense to ignore an issue rather than to address it. To willfully try to skirt the issue like that is a blatant example of monetary greed being placed over the value of customer service, not to mention corporate integrity, in my opinion. Heritage and the other auction houses would be wise to take into serious consideration the opinions expressed on this forum, rather than to simply dismiss or ignore them. It's like having the REAL "100% Authentic Team" at your disposal, for free!

aeneas01
05-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Being that I'm a jersey and bat collector as most of the forum members are here, I would love to see an educational post on the terminology of helmet collecting.

mike - sounds like a fun project and i would be more than happy to put what i can together when i get a chance. and i'm sure the other guu helmet collectors could contribute as well!

aeneas01
05-30-2008, 05:01 AM
$4,400 + fees - unbelievable. it's just far too easy and the financial incentive is just far too great not to keep getting while the getting is good. the upside for the buyer is that i have no doubt he/she will be able to move this piece for a like price, perhaps for even more, when the time comes...