PDA

View Full Version : Got a nice piece of history last night....

kylehess10
04-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Yesterday Smoltz got his 3,000th strikeout and I was in attendance. I was able to aquire the final ball Smoltz pitched for the night, which was his 3,006th strikeout. Anybody have an idea of what it might be worth? I'm not good with values when it comes to baseballs.

aeneas01
04-23-2008, 06:34 PM
great website kyle!i i especially like the video of you snagging the foul ball, you're a natural. btw, where does a young guy your age get the $$$ to put together such a nice collection - heck, i don't think i ever had more than $40 in my pocket when i was your age! again, great website and collection!

bubbrubb25
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
great website kyle!i i especially like the video of you snagging the foul ball, you're a natural. btw, where does a young guy your age get the $$$ to put together such a nice collection - heck, i don't think i ever had more than $40 in my pocket when i was your age! again, great website and collection!
I'm 15 I get my money for my collection from birthday christmas easter yardwork and some other small jobs I will be getting my first job when I turn 16 in a month.

PS kyle I love the WBC jersey you have

tigerdale
04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
wow!!! very impressive......as nice stuff & as organized as I've seen!!!

platinum1
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Wow cool piece. Why dont you get Smoltz to sign it with the inscription.

tigerdale
04-23-2008, 07:02 PM
I guess I should have added in my post, I got a little piece of history last night too.....magglio ordonez got his 1000th RBI (& 250th Home run). I just got his authenticated hat he wore during the game (I had to buy this though), cool piece though.

hblakewolf
04-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Yesterday Smoltz got his 3,000th strikeout and I was in attendance. I was able to aquire the final ball Smoltz pitched for the night, which was his 3,006th strikeout. Anybody have an idea of what it might be worth? I'm not good with values when it comes to baseballs.

Kyle-
Quite often, balls from a significant event in a players’ career are accompanied with some type of LOA from the player himself, a team employee or agent. It not only assists in establishing authenticity, but also proves extremely important in the event you decide to sell it.

In this case, do you have any type of LOA or validation to definitively prove it’s from Smoltz’s 3006 K?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

platinum1
04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Kyle-
Quite often, balls from a significant event in a players’ career are accompanied with some type of LOA from the player himself, a team employee or agent. It not only assists in establishing authenticity, but also proves extremely important in the event you decide to sell it.

In this case, do you have any type of LOA or validation to definitively prove it’s from Smoltz’s 3006 K?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net (hblakewolf@patmedia.net)
WOW Why can you ever just keep quite. The guy is not selling it to you are anyone else here. It seems like he got an amazing piece but like always you come in here with your big mouth. Kyle I hope you do have proof so he can just shut up that's the only way he goes to another thread and tries to find something else wrong with a piece.

kylehess10
04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Kyle-

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net (hblakewolf@patmedia.net)

Thanks everyone!!

Howard-

Well all I have is my ticket to the game, about 300 pictures from the game, and I got the ball from Brian McCann immediately after the strikeout so maybe from game footage (MLB.tv) you could see him throwing the ball to me.

sylbry
04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
WOW Why can you ever just keep quite. The guy is not selling it to you are anyone else here. It seems like he got an amazing piece but like always you come in here with your big mouth. Kyle I hope you do have proof so he can just shut up that's the only way he goes to another thread and tries to find something else wrong with a piece.

You need to pull your head out.

Kyle's question is what is the ball worth. Howard asked a very legit question asking if Kyle has proof, something that will determine the value of the ball.

Vintagedeputy
04-23-2008, 08:05 PM
You need to pull your head out.

Kyle's question is what is the ball worth. Howard asked a very legit question asking if Kyle has proof, something that will determine the value of the ball.

+1 on that! Why is it that people who are here for a month are always starting trash talk? Howard asked a legit question that will add to determining the value of the ball.

sylbry
04-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey Kyle,

BTW - The Twins Pro Shop was selling Frank Thomas 500 HR game used balls for $150 last year.

hblakewolf
04-23-2008, 08:24 PM
+1 on that! Why is it that people who are here for a month are always starting trash talk? Howard asked a legit question that will add to determining the value of the ball.

Take it with a grain of salt. This is the same member who can't even understand what a basic "photo match" is (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=78580#post78580 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=78580#post78580)), let alone possibly try to comprehend what we're discussing on this thread.

Kyle asked for a value on this rare ball, and with some type supporting documentation, a value can be derived.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

joelsabi
04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
kyle,

nice acquisition. you never seize to amaze me what a great collection you have at your young age. its not only a game used ball like they sell on mlb.com for milestone games but an actual strikeout ball. wouldnt be surprised if the camera man filmed you receiving the ball.

you ask a good question. how much is another ball worth from a milestone game of a future hall of famer.

i agree on getting it autographed. arod signed balls from his 500 HR game went for 3-4K each time sold.

kellsox
04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
One thing to remember, more and more teams are selling game used balls with MLB authentication, making it easier to establish a value and also easier to resell. This ball has nothing on it that establishes that it is from that game/play. I would think that it would have greater sentimental value than $ value.
A side story similar to this is a friend of mine caught a milestone HR from david Ortiz. He asked me what I thought it would get on the open market. In my opinion, it lost most of its monitary value when it left the park w/o being authenticated or confirmed that it was indeed the ball that Ortiz hit.
Kelly
kelsport@hotmail.com

twinsbb17
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
I got a lineup card that the Blue Jays typed up as well as a ball Frank Thomas struck out on from his 500th HR game. They're both authenticated and staying in my collection for sure!

http://gallery.mac.com/adamjhanson/100180/IMG_1934/web.jpg

http://gallery.mac.com/adamjhanson/100180/IMG_1935/web.jpg

platinum1
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Take it with a grain of salt. This is the same member who can't even understand what a basic "photo match" is (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=78580#post78580 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=78580#post78580)), let alone possibly try to comprehend what we're discussing on this thread.

Kyle asked for a value on this rare ball, and with some type supporting documentation, a value can be derived.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Not only did I prove the photomatch . I was able to get in touch with Mrs. Williams and see also agreed that the jersey did belong to her.

mdube16
04-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I would take a stab that with the video and a noterized letter from Kyle that the ball is what it is.......around $200 at auction.

Worth much more to you personally Im sure.

Nice work!

Tay1038
04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Great ball Kyle! Another sweet addition to your collection!

ifirocked
04-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I guess I should have added in my post, I got a little piece of history last night too.....magglio ordonez got his 1000th RBI (& 250th Home run). I just got his authenticated hat he wore during the game (I had to buy this though), cool piece though.

you beat me to that cap !! i got home and read the emal but was too late. very good price for it. i'm picking up a Maybin home jersey from last year tomm.

suave1477
04-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Kyle here is your best bet I would call the Baseball clubs corporate office ask for possibly the PR department and explain to them what you have and that you have pictures and possibly MLB video of you recieving this actual ball and they might help you with an LOA for the ball or even direct you in a way to be able to get it signed by the player.

bigtruck260
04-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Kyle here is your best bet I would call the Baseball clubs corporate office ask for possibly the PR department and explain to them what you have and that you have pictures and possibly MLB video of you recieving this actual ball and they might help you with an LOA for the ball or even direct you in a way to be able to get it signed by the player.

...or maybe Smoltz wants it back. If that's the case, maybe you can negotiate for something with an LOA. Just don't be smarmy about it...

If nothing else, Kyle, search for photos of the game with you in it, and keep the thing for the next generation. You will always feel crappy if you sell it and get less than you wanted. If you need to sell something, get rid of those dreadful, fungus infested shower shoes that you have on your wall...:D

Vintagedeputy
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
[quote=bigtruck260;81583 Just don't be smarmy about it...

[/quote]

I had to look that one up....never heard that word before! :)

bigtruck260
04-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I had to look that one up....never heard that word before! :)

Hey, Kyle should be in college (or working ) this year...always pays to have a vocabulary:

smarmy
adjectiveunpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech; "buttery praise"; "gave him a fulsome introduction"; "an oily sycophantic press agent"; "oleaginous hypocrisy"; "smarmy self-importance"; "the unctuous Uriah Heep"; "soapy compliments" [syn: buttery (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/buttery)]
WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

kylehess10
04-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey, Kyle should be in college (or working ) this year...always pays to have a vocabulary:

smarmy
adjectiveunpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech; "buttery praise"; "gave him a fulsome introduction"; "an oily sycophantic press agent"; "oleaginous hypocrisy"; "smarmy self-importance"; "the unctuous Uriah Heep"; "soapy compliments" [syn: buttery (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/buttery)]
WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Not in college until October but "smarmy" also got me confused :D

dcrules01
04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Kyle what inning was it and where were you siting???? BTW great snag..:cool:

kylehess10
04-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Kyle what inning was it and where were you siting???? BTW great snag..:cool:

I think it was the 7th but I'm not 100% certain.....I was sitting in the first few rows above the dugout. I never really have a "seat" at the dugout though....I normally sit in a different seat every few innings. Every game I get dollar-seats and just sneak down....done it for 7 straight games this season :D

GoTigers
04-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I've wondered about this... What do you do if you caught a HR ball, or in Kyle's case were tossed a ball from a significant event?? How do you get it authenticated at the park? Are there people on staff that can do this?? Do you approach an usher?? I'd like to know, just in case Im ever lucky enough to be in that position.

kylehess10
04-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I've wondered about this... What do you do if you caught a HR ball, or in Kyle's case were tossed a ball from a significant event?? How do you get it authenticated at the park? Are there people on staff that can do this?? Do you approach an usher?? I'd like to know, just in case Im ever lucky enough to be in that position.

I really don't think anybody at the stadium would do anything to authenticate it. The ushers especially.....they don't even know what it is. I went inside the Braves store at Turner Field and asked if they had any game worn jerseys,,,after repeating myself FOUR times, the guy acted like he understood me and brought me to the other end of the store where they had brand new authentic jerseys. It took me another minute to explain to him that I was looking for the jerseys worn by the players, not the same-style ones worn by the players. Almost everybody that works there is like that.

dcrules01
04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Maybe you should fill out an application :) It was the 7th and they panned on Smoltz at the end of the inning...

kylehess10
04-25-2008, 03:31 AM
Not sure why, but MLB.tv is working for free for me! I got these 2 screen-shots from the strikeout:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/kylehess1025/smoltz1.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/kylehess1025/smoltz2.jpg

chakes89
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM
MLB.com is showing archived games for free now

kylehess10
04-25-2008, 01:18 PM

That's awesome!! Now I can get some videos I've been waiting to see for awhile now

frikativ54
04-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Not in college until October but "smarmy" also got me confused :D

Where are you going to school? Are you going to play baseball there?

-Frik

kylehess10
04-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Where are you going to school? Are you going to play baseball there?

-Frik

North Metro Tech.....then I'm going to transfer most-likely to Kennesaw State University. I don't think they have baseball there, but in June I'm heading to southern Georgia to try-out for the minor leagues.....scouts from all 30 teams are gonna be there.

frikativ54
04-25-2008, 07:00 PM
North Metro Tech.....then I'm going to transfer most-likely to Kennesaw State University. I don't think they have baseball there, but in June I'm heading to southern Georgia to try-out for the minor leagues.....scouts from all 30 teams are gonna be there.

Good luck! Did you play varsity in high school?

chakes89
04-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Kyle if you make it to pro ball I would like first crack at your GU stuff :D

kylehess10
04-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Good luck! Did you play varsity in high school?

Nope,,,I was in a training program at first to play ball for my HS team but there wasn't enough time left

kylehess10
04-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Kyle if you make it to pro ball I would like first crack at your GU stuff :D

Actually I already offered my game used stuff awhile back on here if ya remember ;)

yanks12025
04-26-2008, 06:43 AM

It's still try to make me pay for the archived games.

kylehess10
04-26-2008, 12:50 PM
It's still try to make me pay for the archived games.

Same here.....after he told me they were free I went and checked out this specific Cubs game from last year,,and I got it for free,,,then I went to a Mets game from 2006 and I had to pay :confused:

yanks12025
04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Same here.....after he told me they were free I went and checked out this specific Cubs game from last year,,and I got it for free,,,then I went to a Mets game from 2006 and I had to pay :confused:

Thats what it did to me?

jgoldstein2000
05-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Interesting thread... my little brother got the ball Jacoby Ellsbury caught to save John Lester's no-hitter on Monday. I would think that would be worth something if he could get it authenticated... either way it is a great souvenir for a great kid.