PDA

View Full Version : Too Manny 2004 WS Bats

matt
04-23-2008, 02:45 PM
For those of you keeping score, there are a suprising number of Manny "2004 WS" marked bats out there for sale right now. Specifically:

One on eBay by nleet, first listed at $9500 and then $4200, now back at $9900 (good use on this one)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220227200072&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

One in the REA auction- lots of use all over, plus a mark on the knob possibly indicateing a BP bat? (too lazy to link)

One at allstarsplus (very little use if any) (scroll down):
http://www.allstarsplus.com/newgameuseditems.asp

One at cooperstown (looks almost new): http://www.redsoxdiehard.com/features/summer99/hof6.html

Supposedly there were only 4 produced for the series and one produced post-series. Could it be that all of them are up for sale at the same time?? Wouldn't you think Manny has one over his fireplace at the Ritz? Figure he gave Cooperstown the unused one?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Matt

gamer35
04-23-2008, 02:54 PM
The one in Cooperstown is supposed to be the one he used to hit the HR in Game 3.

orioles03
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
the one on ebay was my bat i got it when i worked for the orioles i did a favor for the red sox equipment guy and when the orioles went to boston on the next road trip the equipment guy gave it to me i had it posted in the for sale forum a couplke months back i could have gotten probally more but it is in good hand right now i know for a fact the bat on ebay is legit
pat
orioles03@verizon.net

gamer35
04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
When did you get the 04 WS Bat? That bat shows a lot of use and in trying to photomatch the bat to the 04 WS, I did not see Manny use a bat like this with that pine tar application. Clearly looks to be a Manny used bat due to the chacteristics, but how do you know it was used in the 2004 world series?

allstarsplus
04-23-2008, 05:06 PM
One at allstarsplus (very little use if any) (scroll down):
http://www.allstarsplus.com/newgameuseditems.asp

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Matt

Matt - Keith Vari from Lelands saw your Post and asked me if I had a game used Manny WS 2004 bat. I said NO, where did you hear that from and he said from a thread on GUF so I found your thread here.

This is how bad rumors get started. You need to read the description. It shouldn't have any use as it was a game issued as all the bats are in the posted photo!!! It was actually sold by me a while ago. I think if you check back I had these in the "For Sale" section of GUF. The only bat left now is the Matheny so I need to edit the posting.

I posted a Hi Resolution photo just in case that bat has wound up somewhere as a "used" bat.

This is copied from my site:

2004 An amazing collection from the Red Sox 2004 World Series vs. the Cardinals. All bats are unused Louisville gamers which are extremely rare as they were all made for the specifically for the Worlds Series and all have the "2004 World Series" stamp as well as the signature style stamping for each players name. Each player was issued only a few bats which adds to the rarity from one of the most infamous World Series ever has the Red Sox ended "The Curse". Available are: From the Red Sox are Manny Ramirez black S318, Doug Mientkiewicz black/white M289, Kevin Millar black M279 and from the Cardinals are Larry Walker blonde C235, Reggie Sanders blonde R205, Mike Matheny blonde C243 and the player who made the last out Edgar Renteria blonde I13. Bats range in price from $450 to $950 and comes with a COA from AllstarsPlus

matt
04-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Allstarplus -

No offense intended. Was just surprised that if only 5 existed, 4 are now up for sale at the same time. Maybe cuz manny is close to 500.

You have been very clear in your description, which I only scanned as I found these search results. I had no intent of causing you any trouble.

Matt

allstarsplus
04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Allstarplus -

No offense intended. Was just surprised that if only 5 existed, 4 are now up for sale at the same time. Maybe cuz manny is close to 500.

You have been very clear in your description, which I only scanned as I found these search results. I had no intent of causing you any trouble.

Matt

Matt - Thanks for the reply. I just pride myself on being honest and look at all those bats in the picture. They were as clean as the day they arrived from Louisville to the clubhouse and then to me and finally to my customers.

Andrew

Vintagedeputy
04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Andrew is absolutely one of the most honest sellers in the world. His character is beyond reproach.

gamer35
04-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Getting back to the main point of the thread:

Orioles03, what information were you provided which indicated that your bat was used in the 2004 World Series?

BMH
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
From what I can tell we made him 4 bats for the 2004 WS. There was an order for a dozen three days after the first order but I can't see what the branding was...

cjbaker3
05-01-2008, 08:04 PM
As the consignor of the REA Manny 2004 World Series bat, I feel compelled to say that if any one out is interested in it but actually thinks it could be a BP bat and is holding off for that reason, please email me and I can provide you with pictures of the bat before it was restored showing a massive handle crack that could not be done with batting practice swings and was most likely done by a nasty slider or fastball in the Series. I would have posted the pics here, but the files were too big and I did not know how to compress them. But again, email me if you want to see more pictures of itand I will be happy to send them to you. Thanks,

Craig
craig_baker_99@yahoo.com
813-451-9658

gamer35
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
If you truly believe that this was broken in a WS game, how hard is it to pop in the 2004 WS and review Manny's ABs? As the HOF has Manny's game 3 bat, there are about 15 plate appearances that you have to review. Having actually done the research, I noted absolutely no AB's where Manny had broken his bat, no less shattering it into two pieces. Im not claiming its not game used, but just because its broken in two pieces indicate it was game used in the 2004 WS?

cjbaker3
05-03-2008, 06:06 AM
I do not have the video of the Series to review the tapes. I see a picture on Getty Images in Game 4 of the Series where he is talking to the Cardinals catcher Molina and the butt end is pretty clear where you can see his 24 and a little mark to the side of the 4 in the 24 if you look closely which would match the mark in question. Further, I did not say broken in two at any point of the conversation. It has a good sized handle crack which Fred Lowman expertly repaired. It's a big difference. I sent it to REA because I knew Bushing would be able to find out more info about it. He is calling it 10, so take with that what you will. I am glad we are having this debate. If anybody wants to see the pictures, just let me know. Thanks,

Craig