PDA

View Full Version : Fred McGriff GU bats, ball mark patterns etc

Number9
04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Anyone done enough research to determine if Fred McGriff was a label up or label down hitter?
Seems like his bats always had heavy use on the left side. Of course that is contrary to a label-up lefty hitter. Anybody got a McGriff bat that does NOT have the game use on the left side?

I once saw a pounded Dodgers McGriff bat with heavy stitch marks all on the left side, above Genuine C271 and I also think Camarokids posted his collection here and they all seemed to have use mostly on the left side.

Anyone ever done photo research to be sure he's a label-down hitter?
Thanks,

Mike

PS, I attached a photo from leftfield collectibles site, showing heavy use on the LEFT side, even though he was a lefty hitter.

Stefano61
04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
from what I saw in the Getty site, McGriff hitting zone is the back of the barrell, opposite the label

camarokids
04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Anyone done enough research to determine if Fred McGriff was a label up or label down hitter?
Seems like his bats always had heavy use on the left side. Of course that is contrary to a label-up lefty hitter. Anybody got a McGriff bat that does NOT have the game use on the left side?

I once saw a pounded Dodgers McGriff bat with heavy stitch marks all on the left side, above Genuine C271 and I also think Camarokids posted his collection here and they all seemed to have use mostly on the left side.

Anyone ever done photo research to be sure he's a label-down hitter?
Thanks,

Mike

PS, I attached a photo from leftfield collectibles site, showing heavy use on the LEFT side, even though he was a lefty hitter.

That is my bat , I bought it off LFC almost two years ago . I will take some detailed pics of the usage and post them shortly.....

camarokids
04-23-2008, 07:02 PM
It appears McGriff preferred labels up (left side of Louisville Slugger labels).

However there are a few ball marks on the right side of the label as well .....

Here are the pictures.....

camarokids
04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Correction: oops , my bad , I wasn't thinking ......

I was thinking McGriff was a right handed batter for some reason ....

Being a leftie , it seems he would be a label down guy with sometimes the label up .....

Sorry for the typo.....

Number9
04-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys.

I passed on his Dodgers bat awhile ago when I saw all the use on the left side, but it appears that is is his "use pattern" so maybe I should re-think it.
Thanks very much for the pics Camaro kids, especially the back barrel pics.

Mike

PS, I assume you saw there a Rays bat on ebay and the price has been lowered to well under .200, which seems pretty reasonable to me. I am gonna pass on that one and check into the Dodgers one my friend has.

Number9
04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
duh, i meant to say that ebay bat is well under $200, not .200.

David, thanks again for sharing all the barrel pics. Its great to look at so many bats of one player and combare them. Great collection you have there.

Mike

camarokids
04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks Mike for comps and your welcome for the pics....

The one on ebay I was so close to buying tonight w/ a best offer . But I won the Edwin Jackson Fielding Glove on ebay . The glove is from his Dodgers rookie season most likely , it was made in Dec of 2003 . I only collect Devil Rays . The high bidder on the glove canceled out after I made an offer on the McGriff . So I had to decline the sellers offer on the McGriff for now ..

Hopefully I can get it in about 2 weeks.....

If you want to buy the glove LMK . I will sell it for what I paid ....

There is a thread on the glove under "Auction Items" , with pictures of the glove to view....

dzscope@earthlink.net

ndevlin
04-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry folks, I had to add mine! :)

camarokids
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Nice bat Nate !

I would like to add a Braves , Blue Jays and Padres bats to my collection .....

Maybe someday.......

Hey Mike,

Check out this thread for some more members McGriff bats .....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=14601&highlight=fred+mcgriff+collection

Number9
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi David,
I better pass on the glove, don't want to get started on gloves, not enough money for the bats I want as it is. Thanks anyway.
Hope you pick up that bat. I e-mailed the seller some last night myself but decided to pass this morning.
Seems perfect for a Devil Rays collector like you; of course you have plenty already though, but one more can't hurt right?

Mike

ndevlin
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks David!

Looking back on the thread you posted again, I still havent been able to come up with a pic of him using a Rawlings bat. Anyone know anything about his use of those bats?

camarokids
04-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi David,
I better pass on the glove, don't want to get started on gloves, not enough money for the bats I want as it is. Thanks anyway.
Hope you pick up that bat. I e-mailed the seller some last night myself but decided to pass this morning.
Seems perfect for a Devil Rays collector like you; of course you have plenty already though, but one more can't hurt right?

Mike

I know what you mean , right now there are so many items I want to buy , I have to pick and choose what to buy .

If only I was rich ......

Then again I think collecting would be kind of boring w/ no money challenges ....

ndevlin
04-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey camarokids, do your bats have his number at the barrel end of the bat as well? Both my Braves and Devil Rays bats both have his number(very very lightly) on the barrel end of the bat. I believe they are both in gold actually.

camarokids
04-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Hey there,

It seems all of my McGriff's have/had the #29 on the barrel end in gold .

However , on two of them , the numbering is worn completely off . Another is worn off so much you can only see the top of the 2 and the 9 .

I have seen some of his bats with gold marker on the knob end , while at Tampa Bay . The knob ends usually have black marker . But, either black or gold on the knob end should be fine .

camarokids
07-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I just picked up another McGriff last week! :D

It is a 1998 Inaugural Season Devil Rays bat! It is the one on top!

camarokids
07-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey there,

It seems all of my McGriff's have/had the #29 on the barrel end in gold .

Correction , that should read black, on some of them the gold is written over in black marker......

sorry for any confusion...

mariner_gamers
07-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a black McGriff Worth with light use. I would post a picture but nothing shows. It appears from the few deep seem marks to be consistant with all the bats pictured. Looks like he caught one on the end of the bat and caused the handle crack early on in its life.

Thanks!
Davis
Demburey@netzero.net