PDA

View Full Version : Auction Authenticating: Minutes per item

kingjammy24
04-22-2008, 06:23 PM
some blurbs from a couple of articles:

"In Indiana, dealer Bill Daniels’ lawsuit against Mastro Auctions and PSA/DNA, the hobby’s top autograph authentication service, also raises questions. Daniels spent $20,000 for a lot of autographed photographs at a December 2004 Mastro sale; when he received the photos, most were damaged, with bent corners, creases and smeared signatures. During discovery, Daniels and his attorney S. Andrew Burns say they learned that PSA/DNA authenticator Zach Rullo, whose signature was on the letter of authenticity that accompanied the photos, was one of the consigners. "That's a conflict of interest, absolutely," Burns says.

The quality of that authentication is also an issue; Burns says records indicate a three-man team that included Rullo spent 16 hours over two days poring through the 56,000 items offered in the 2004 auction. That's just a few seconds per item, the attorney says. "That's not enough time to move the photos from one stack to another, never mind compare the signatures to exemplars or review the quality of the photos," he says."

i've done the math on various auctions and have repeatedly found that the pros couldn't possibly spend more than a few minutes per item. mastro has of course found the solution to this. don't attach any specific name(s) to the items so collectors have no clue who looked at or how much time was possibly spent. it seems they took the idea from AMI's "100 percent team!".

"I have no problem defending the authenticators," Hunt said. "Many times they're crucified for missing a clubhouse signature on a baseball. Of course, that's the one you hear about. You don't hear about the twenty (non-authentic items) that were caught before they made it to the marketplace."

authenticators aren't crucified for missing a single clubhouse signature on a ball. they're not crucified for making small, complex errors. they're crucified for not doing basic due diligence; for not checking rosters, for literally making up stories to support items, for failing to notice the most obvious of issues, for authenticating items they have absolutely no expertise in. in short, they're crucified for the same things that folks outside of this industry would be crucified for; gross negligence.

lou lampson at the PCCE:

"One of the biggest limitations I have is that when you look at 300 or 400 pieces over the course of three or four days, you're rushing," he said. "Time is money. I'm not saying it should be that way but you just have to do the best you can under the time constraints."

some of these auction houses seem to be absolute wizards of time management. they couldn't possibly print the catalogs 3 weeks after the consignment deadline. they couldn't possibly figure out a way to extend various portions of the timelines. we can get a man on the moon but these poor folks can't figure out a single way to ensure that items are given enough time to ensure that collectors aren't ripped off. the auction houses are at the mercy of the auction gods who hand down unrealistic timelines.
what a complete farce. they must think people are absolutely stupid to think they can't control the process timelines. i also suppose lou's forced to accept these wildly outrageous terms (400 pieces in 4 days). the poor man has no control over what contracts he signs or terms he accepts. if i went to a company that said they needed me to perform a wildly unrealistic amount of work in an extremely short amount of time, my first response would be to walk out the door. why intentionally set yourself up for failure? the only reason would be if you didn't care about failure.

sure, time is money. so are errors. so are garbage items that are dumped onto collectors because lou fully agreed to conditions that he knew would likely result in errors.

"Even working eighteen hours per day for four days would indicate that under such a scenario, each item is being authenticated in approximately 15 minutes. "I couldn't do it," said Hunt later. "Not without making a mistake or leaving a gap where there could be a mistake."

rudy.

kingjammy24
04-22-2008, 06:44 PM
if all else fails, the best solution is to simply forget.

"I can't think of one we got totally wrong," Bushing said of the authentication work he's provided for employers. "You might miss an arm patch or number change or removal. I think over the years, I've looked at about 8,000 pieces and about six or seven times we've had to re-address something."

dave, here's one you got "totally wrong":
http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/thread/1118855308/Roger+Clemens+jersey+in+Vintage+Authentics+Auction

a clemens jersey with the wrong colored numbers on the back. can't get much more totally wrong than that. not quite a missing patch or armband. you might miss the fact that the numbers on the back weren't even the correct color. you might also choose to forget this item.

toss in the dimaggio glove that bushing refuses to admit he authenticated even though others involved in that sothebys auction are adament that he did. the glove wasn't even made until after he retired.

i'm sure there are others i've forgotten. my "best of bushing" list is at home.

rudy.

aeneas01
04-23-2008, 08:43 AM
if all else fails, the best solution is to simply forget.

"I can't think of one we got totally wrong," Bushing said of the authentication work he's provided for employers. "You might miss an arm patch or number change or removal. I think over the years, I've looked at about 8,000 pieces and about six or seven times we've had to re-address something."

dave, here's one you got "totally wrong":
http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/thread/1118855308/Roger+Clemens+jersey+in+Vintage+Authentics+Auction

a clemens jersey with the wrong colored numbers on the back. can't get much more totally wrong than that. not quite a missing patch or armband. you might miss the fact that the numbers on the back weren't even the correct color. you might also choose to forget this item.

toss in the dimaggio glove that bushing refuses to admit he authenticated even though others involved in that sothebys auction are adament that he did. the glove wasn't even made until after he retired.

i'm sure there are others i've forgotten. my "best of bushing" list is at home.

rudy.

good grief - what a painful, humiliating read. i would have actually felt terrible for those guys if, from the get-go, they would have simply said that they had completely dropped the ball and then proceeded to answer every question, quickly and completely. howard was a bull dog, and for very good reason. were you a member of 54 during those days? did you post to that thread?

mvandor
04-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I find it rather misguided to pile on the authenticators with the .998 batting averages when Sweet Lou hits about .700 or so. He's the leadoff guy causing the most problems with his "time is money" rationalizations. At a few seconds per item what's he charge for a LouOA? He could charge a buck and still be a millionairre several times over.

If you want to clean up the industry ills, you're gonna have to start with legislation addressing conflicts of interest, setting basic standards for authentication work governing auction houses and authenticators, and spelling out liability for failing to meet those standards.

Apparently we don't have a single collector in Congress or this ship woulda sailed a long time ago.

bigtruck260
04-23-2008, 12:15 PM
I know that some guys (JSA, etc.) get paid per piece...

So, how does a guy like Lampson get his grip?

Does he get paid hourly, or by how many items he reviews during each session? Does part of the hammer premium pay for his services? I am guessing the goal of having Lou "authenticate" items is that the final hammer price will be affected positively...

Just wondering.

I would LOVE to get into jerseys, but the fact is - I don't have the time myself or knowledge to start at this point. I would probably only buy something that came with an MLB hologram on it...and the price on those items is just too steep for me at this point.

If Lampson is so highly regarded by the auction houses (and not very well regarded by collectors)...why would the auction houses continue to use him when there is a good possibility that items without his name attached might even fetch a better hammer price?

Ponderous....

Dave

David
04-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Several years ago I won from Mastro a collection of 5,000 different autographed index cards of players who played in the 1800s to current. The lot came with a LOA from a well known autograph guy. I wondered the logistics of authenticating such a lot, and figured perhaps the collection came from a well known person. I assumed each index card was not studied by the LOA writer.

One of the autographs came from an obscure player who played for one game in 1913 for the Detroit Tigers. From a different source at a different time I obtained a small collection of signed letters from the Barry Halper collection, including one from the same player. I compared the two signatures side by side and they were written by the same guy.

Made in Motown
04-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I am a fairly new collector, but it seems to me that authentication letters are one of the most useless traditions of this hobby. If you are an educated collector, you know about the large amount of garbage floating around out there, and you know to do your own research. If you are an uneducated collector, your buying on faith from some stranger and it dosn't really matter if the letter of authenticity is from the foremost expert in the field or the tooth fairy. To quote Tommy Boy:

Ted: "But why do they put a guarantee on the box, then?"
Tommy: "'Cause they know all the sold you was a guaranteed piece of sh**. That's all it is isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time.

lund6771
04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
If Lampson is so highly regarded by the auction houses (and not very well regarded by collectors)...why would the auction houses continue to use him when there is a good possibility that items without his name attached might even fetch a better hammer price?

Ponderous....

Dave

I think because the auction houses need that type of a "buffer"

If something is found out to be a fake, they act dumb and point the finger at the authenticator...

and Lampson says it's only an "opinion"...

it's the scam of the century