PDA

View Full Version : the mother load

grandpahoo
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I purchased four boxes of old basketball uniforms worn by my alma mater last week, sight unseen. It looks like my gamble paid off - I've gone through one box so far, and it contained 17 jerseys and five pairs of game shorts. I'm bordering on giddy.

Kid4hof03
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
As a collector of UVA alumni NBA jerseys and such my heart skipped a beat when I read your post. If you ended up with boxes of UVA hoops stuff and decide to part with anything please let me know!

Abe

kulynychfamily@verizon.net

both-teams-played-hard
04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Sounds like quite a find! Can you post pictures? Let me know if any are for sale...only want one.
b-t-p-h@earthlink.net

capsjerseys
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
As a UVA alum and jersey collector, I've been watching the school auctions for over two years now and I've never seen anything good. Then just last Wednesday, I check the website only to find out that the basketball jerseys were sold about an hour before. I couldn't believe it. I was sick. I've been looking for UVA basketball jerseys for 10 years now and have only found 1. Now a huge lot comes along and I miss out. :( Anyway, grandpahoo, I'd love to know what years and numbers were in the lot and if you could part with one or two, I'd be very greatful.

thanks,
jeff

grandpahoo
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
I've still only gone through one box. All of the jerseys and shorts appear to be from 2003. I'll let you guys know what's in the other boxes once I have a chance to go through them. Also, I'm really just a collector, not a seller. For now, at least, I'm going to sit tight. However, if I decide to sell anything, I'll certainly give you guys first dibs.

grandpahoo
04-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Also, I should have added that I'd consider trade offers if you have any football jerseys, pants, equipment, etc. from the University.

camarokids
04-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Speaking of mother loads , Jake33 was telling me the Devil Rays have sitting in storage at Huggins-Stengel Field tons of jerseys , bats , helmets etc .

Jake was talking about like 400 jerseys , bats going back to 1998 .....

Huggins-Stengel Field was originally used by the Yankees in the early part of the century (1920-1930's) . Plus other teams have played there.....

The Orioles were the last team to use the complex in 1994 . Currently is used by College and High School teams... very small clubhouse ....

Sounds just a little bit too good to be true , especially since Tropicana Field is like , huge ! Therefore should provide sufficient storage space .....

Also I have already been told on numerous occasions , by Devil Rays employees about the "game used closet" where items are stored (at The Trop) ......

Nice story Jake , any luck on the jerseys yet ??????

Fantasy Island maybe????? someone pulling your _ _ _ _ ????

Or were you pulling mine ?????

PK
04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
I've still only gone through one box. All of the jerseys and shorts appear to be from 2003. I'll let you guys know what's in the other boxes once I have a chance to go through them. Also, I'm really just a collector, not a seller. For now, at least, I'm going to sit tight. However, if I decide to sell anything, I'll certainly give you guys first dibs.

only gone through 1 box in 2 days:eek:

I'd be like a kid on Christmas morning with those things and having paper and boxes flying everywhere, then a full excel spreadsheet inventory of everything all in about an hour. But that's just me:D

Hope you get some great stuff out of them there boxes. How did you get the contact in the Athletic Dept. to sell you all that stuff? Please this cool story

capsjerseys
04-23-2008, 08:06 AM
The auctions are run by the university and they sell them along with old computers, dorm furniture, etc. I was told that you have to be present at the auction to bid, but had I found out a little earlier, I would have driven the 10 hours to be there. They don't list the stuff very long before the auction and in the 2 years I've been following them, this is the first good stock of jerseys I've seen, unless you're into field hockey or volleyball stuff. I started following their auctions after I heard about a bunch of football jerseys they sold several years ago. Looks like it will be several more years before another lot comes up.

jeff

icollectDCsports
04-29-2008, 08:10 PM
As a Wahoo alum who has been searching for years for UVA basketball gamers, count me among those who'd love an opportunity to purchase something. Please let me know.