PDA

View Full Version : Vladimir Guerrero 2007 HR derby bat...I dont think so!!

gameused
04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/VLADIMIR-GUERRERO-GAME-USED-SIGNED-ALL-STAR-GAME-BAT_W0QQitemZ150238638087QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Currently up on ebay is a listing for Vlad's 2007 HR derby bat, listed as the "ACTUAL BAT THAT VLADIMIR USED IN THE ALL-STAR HR DERBY"

First off the bat has minimal use and tar, if it was used in the HR derby that bat would be pounded with ball/seam marks. The most obvious sign that it's not the actual bat is that the ball mark next to the left area where Vlads name is engraved is missing on the ebay bat, the ball mark is present in the getty and corbis photos and not seen on the ebay bat.

Comparing the bat to getty and corbis it does not match up. I know these guys deal with Vlad directly, but this is not the bat he used to win the HR derby. Also, I contacted the seller last year shortly after the HR derby and inquired about purchasing Vlad's HR derby bat and they said Vlad was keeping the bat for himself!

Bobby

10thMan
04-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Bobby, I`m not sure what they`re saying, but I agree it`s misleading. They do state it`s the "most famous" Bat of the home run derby. They have good product, but I`m not sure If I agree with most of the hit numbered Bats etc...I said most, not all. I`ve purchased several Bats from them & I like the Bats. I have not photomatched any of mine.
I have seen Vlad hit a homer & sign the Bat as he was sitting in the Dugout. It was obvious he also made some sort of notation on it. I`ve also seen him load Boxes with used Bats into his Hummer, as he was leaving the park. I do believe I photomatched a Trinity brand Bat, that the manfacturer bought from said source.
I bought a 35 inch 1998 Sam Bat from them that`s just pounded, this was in 2005.
Anyone photomatch one of their Home Run Bats???
Sean

gameused
04-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Sean,

Their saying this is the bat that was used in the HR derby and you can clearly see that's it's not the bat. Their also offering a triple money back guarantee that it will pass psa/dna as the HR bat.

As far as the Vlad signed HR bats, unless I have a 100% photo match I would be very cautious!

Also, I forgot to mention that Vlad was swinging another brand of bat (see pic) during the early round of the HR derby, when he was struggling at the plate, David Ortiz stepped in with a wooden case that contained a Nokona bat that was used for the duration of the HR derby.

Bobby

platinum1
04-21-2008, 09:55 AM
If I had the money I would buy the bat then take it to PSA/DNA let if fail and ask for triple my money back. You will come out ahead $7000.

suave1477
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I think everyone is missing the point on the PSA/DNA thing. It will pass PSA/DNA because there are only going to authenticate the autograph not the actual bat.

As far as the actual bat itself that GAMEUSED mentioned he is a 100% correct as I pointed out on a different thread about players using other players bats, that Vlad was using Ortiz bats for the Home Run Derby.
So it would be interesting what bat this is.

Could it be possible he used this bat for maybe a warm up like a Batting Practice for the HR Derby????

10thMan
04-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Bobby, I`m not disagreeing with you. I also like what Suave had to say, he did switch Bats, & this could be a BP Bat? I have not bought from them recently due to the "casual approach" about dated Bats etc...
Last summer, "q3clippers" listed a Bat on Ebay, & some dude went heads up with another Bat, purchased from them, I thought that was pretty funny.
I was on a first name basis with some security, & a few of the Ushers at the "Big A" I`m now back in San Diego. All the people that work near Vlad Love the Guy, never heard a bad word about him, just don`t throw at his head. Vlad is my favorite "Yankee Killer"
Sean

suave1477
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
HERE IS A PIC OF WHEN DAVID HAD HIS BAT BROUGHT OVER IN A BOX FOR VLAD TO USE

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/75293028.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19386C898F95CD567938A91AB338B987E18

ANGELSFOREVER
04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Bobby, Sean And Whomever,
For Your Information From Vlad's Family Directly:

1) The Bat That Was Sold On E-bay Was The Bat That Big Pappi Handed Vladimir Straight Out Of The Box. Of Course There Is Not Allot Of Pine Tar Or Ball Marks On The Bat, The Bat Was Used For The 1st Round Only.

2) Vladimir Had 2 Other Bats Ready Just In Case One Broke. One Of Those Bats Is The Bat That He Finished The Home Run Derby With. The Bat He Finished The Home Run Derby With Is The Bat He Was Using During, Home Run Derby Batting Practice. That Is Why There Is Tones Of Ball Marks On That Bat That Is Shown In The Photo With The Guy And His Son.

3) Why Would He Use A Bat Straight Out Of The Box With Hardly Any Use And Pine Tar For The Rest Of The Home Run Derby?

4) There Was 2 Nokona Bats Used In The Home Run Derby,the One We Sold Is The Most Famous Bat, Because Of Big Pappi Handing The Bat To Vladimir Guerrero During The Home Run Derby.

5) If You Want To Disagree With Me Then You Are Disagreeing With Vladimir Guerrero.

Next Time You Have A Question Email Us Don't Slander Us On The Internet, First Of All We Are Good Friends With Vladimir Guerrero And His Family And Get All His Game Used Bats.:)

Also Bobby Maybe You Are Angry With Us Because You Wanted This Bat Really Bad. We Have Not Heard From You In Over A Year. So We Put The Bat On E-bay Instead Of Calling You.

gameused
04-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Bobby, Sean And Whomever,
For Your Information From Vlad's Family Directly:

1) The Bat That Was Sold On E-bay Was The Bat That Big Pappi Handed Vladimir Straight Out Of The Box. Of Course There Is Not Allot Of Pine Tar Or Ball Marks On The Bat, The Bat Was Used For The 1st Round Only.
Not true and I'll prove it! The bat that Ortiz handed to Vlad is the same bat that his family is holding! I believe he used one bat for the entire HR derby.

Proof is in the photos below that are from the 2007 HR derby hightlight video of Vlad! The same ballmark near his name on the barrel area can be seen in the video photos right after Big Papi handed Vlad the bat from the wooden case. http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w=/2007/open/as07/hrd/070907_hrd_guerrero_complete_400.wmv&vid=9511&pid=gen_video&cid=mlb&v=2

2) Vladimir Had 2 Other Bats Ready Just In Case One Broke. One Of Those Bats Is The Bat That He Finished The Home Run Derby With. The Bat He Finished The Home Run Derby With Is The Bat He Was Using During, Home Run Derby Batting Practice. That Is Why There Is Tones Of Ball Marks On That Bat That Is Shown In The Photo With The Guy And His Son. The bat he finished the HR derby with is the same bat Big Papi handed to Vlad, as evidenced by the ballmark near his name on the barrel!

3) Why Would He Use A Bat Straight Out Of The Box With Hardly Any Use And Pine Tar For The Rest Of The Home Run Derby? Your confusing me on this one, I dont know what your trying to get across?

4) There Was 2 Nokona Bats Used In The Home Run Derby,the One We Sold Is The Most Famous Bat, Because Of Big Pappi Handing The Bat To Vladimir Guerrero During The Home Run Derby. Again not true, photos dont lie! Could your Vlad Nokona bat that you just sold on ebay be the batting practice bat and not the one Oritz handed to Vlad and used throughout the HR derby?

5) If You Want To Disagree With Me Then You Are Disagreeing With Vladimir Guerrero. Sometimes players make mistakes, as I think Vlad did in this case!

Next Time You Have A Question Email Us Don't Slander Us On The Internet, First Of All We Are Good Friends With Vladimir Guerrero And His Family And Get All His Game Used Bats.:) I'm not trying to slander you, this is a forum of open discussion of game used items and I saw that a potential mistake was made when you listed the bat and I posted this message, I agree you have access to legit game used Vlad items from his family, but I think a mistake was made on your end on regards to this bat.

Also Bobby Maybe You Are Angry With Us Because You Wanted This Bat Really Bad. We Have Not Heard From You In Over A Year. So We Put The Bat On E-bay Instead Of Calling You
Tony, Why would I be angry? I have no ill feelings towards you or your wife and I never did! I inquired about the Vlad bat after the HR derby and you said that Vlad was keeping it for himself, that was the end of the discussion.

Tony,

So are you going to do the right thing and refund the buyer his money, as this is not the bat that Ortiz handed to Vlad "The Most Famous Bat" as you put it and most likely not the bat used for the duration of the HR derby?

I look forward to reading your response.........Regards, Bobby

Photos:

1. Ortiz tosses the first bat Vlad was using for the HR derby, definetly not a Nokona bat.
2. Ortiz takes the bat out of the wooden case and smells the wood.
3. Ortiz is about to hand Vlad the Nokona bat.
4. & 5. Notice the ballmark near his name, the same mark that is in all of the HR derby photos and not present on the ebay bat that was just sold!

angelsforever27
04-25-2008, 10:00 PM
this Is Vlad's Cousin That Is In The Photo In Getty Images, He Is Behind The Heavy Set Guy Holding Vlad's Bat. He Is Wearing The All-star Hat To The Right Of The Bat, That Person Is Vladimir Guerrero's Cousin Will. He Personally Drove To My House To Take A Photo Of The Bat And Himself. When Vladimir Gets Home He Is Personally Going To Hold The Bat That We Sold On E-bay For A Photo For The Customer. How Much Better Can It Get Than That. You Guys Can Say What Ever We Have Vlad Standing Behind Us 100% Of The Way. So Talk To You Later Hater's.:)

gameused
04-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Tony,

Vlad's cousin holding the bat in the photo you just posted or Vlad holding the bat, what does that prove? Absolutely nothing! Proof is in the pics I posted.

You stated Vlad used two Nokona bats for the HR derby, where's the other bat, the one that Vlad's family is holding, the one that Big Papi handed to Vlad? Is it in Vlad's showroom, next to the HR derby trophy?

Also, do yourself a favor and be a bit more mature with your writings, your ending sentence is pretty childish coming from a grown man. Just remember this site generates a lot of views from game used collectors and potential customers, comments like that may be detrimental to your ebay business.;)

Bobby

azdownpour
07-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been holding off posting because I wanted to get the issue resolved. However, it may never be. So I figured you should heard from the guy who (almost) bought the bat.

Thanks for people from this forum for alerting me to the problems with the bat. Seriously, without a couple of emails from you folks, I'd be sitting here with a bat of dubious origins and be out $3000. Yes, that's what I paid for it via Paypal.

I never received the bat because of the "controversy" and Tony and Kristen agreed to a refund. At first, it was "give us a couple of weeks" to make good....then a month....then, well, I just figured I wasn't going to get my money back that way. So I filed a dispute with my credit card and Paypal, which is currently being processed.

NOTE: They did refund $700 of the $3000. And I believe their intentions were to make a total refund, but I needed to protect myself and it had been nearly 60 days since the refund was agreed to. I sense that Tony and Kristen were caught in the middle of something, too.

You all know the "Moral of the Story." Even with dealers you may trust, you need to do your homework. I didn't do mine, got excited about owning the Vlady bat from the HR derby and ended up in the middle of a mess I don't need.

For me, I won't be buying any "game used bats" for awhile. Thanks again for the help from people on this forum.

cheese
07-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Are't you the guy who was on peoples court for selling a fake Derek Jeter Bat and had to go to court because you wouldn't refund the guys money???