PDA

View Full Version : No Set flag on 2005 Mets?

Swoboda4
02-25-2006, 09:48 PM
There is a current ebay auction for a Beltran 2005 home pinstripe jersey with no set flag evident on the Authentic Majestic label. Is that a possibility? Other tag does shows 0062.
http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/5a/b5/e2_1_sbl.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARLOS-BELTRAN-2005-GAME-USED-HOME-JERSEY-METS-ASI_W0QQitemZ8771784494QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

suave1477
02-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Well I Look At There Listing Of Items I Am A Bit Confused By A Few Of Them

They Have A Derek Jeter Autographed Baseball - How Is This Possible When Derek Jeter Only Works With Steiner.

They Have A Game Used Bat Of Robinson Cano Autographed - How Is This Possible When He Is Exclusive To Esm

My Head Spins From This Hobby!!!!!!!!!!

trsent
02-26-2006, 01:04 AM
They Have A Derek Jeter Autographed Baseball - How Is This Possible When Derek Jeter Only Works With Steiner.

Wait a second, you mean Derek Jeter has never signed for anyone but Steiner, and at that, he never will sign in public, ever? I couldn't tell if you the signature is genuine or not, but I know the guy has signed stuff outside of Steiner in his career.

cjosefy
02-26-2006, 12:24 PM
http://www.lrmemo.com/Robinson_Cano_Autographed_Game_Used_Equipment_s/67.htm

suave1477
02-26-2006, 09:32 PM
trsent the point i wa making is how did they gt there hands on jeters autograph, jeter will do an autograph on his own outside of steiner but that is very rare. Steiner has had the exclusive on jeter since 96. So i am just wondering where theres came from?

trsent
02-27-2006, 12:54 AM
I understand, and all I was stating is that Derek has signed autographs in public over the years. I have no idea if their autograph is genuine, I wouldn't buy it myself, but just because it doesn't come from Steiner is no reason to point out that it is not legitimate.

cbb5
02-27-2006, 07:34 AM
I believe that some of the jerseys did not have flag tags. I did get this confirmed by Amzazin' Memorabilia (Paul I believe). There is also an auction on mlb. com that shows a few jerseys with no flag tags. My guess is that the Mets went throguh so many jerseys that they ran out of tagged jerseys from Majestic. Who knows though. Makes it very hard to spot a fake!
That being said I think this one is fake. I have attached a picture that shows Beltran wearing a pinstrip jersey. The name on the picture is definitely not as "curved" on the back. It is much straighter. Look at the B specifically and it's placement next to the one. I would steer clear of this jersey!

Swoboda4
02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks-the story of the Mets using jerseys without set flags is big. If their intention is to sell with minimal usage they better come up with a method of identifying these jerseys as theirs. It could only help sales if there is greater consumer cofidence.
As far as the name being straight across as oppose to being curved on Getty Images, it may be the way Beltran is twisting stretching out the lettering. I have a Burnitz jersey in front of me now(same amount of letters)and looking at it from the same angle it appears straight and curved when looking at it straight on. In the Getty image the "B" and"E" are on different planes indicating when not stretched it's curved. But anyway the big story is the Mets using jerseys without set flags. I mean they know its real so they don't care,it's just that it 's value goes down when the primary owner has to pass it down to family or sell it. It becomes a real problem then.

cbb5
02-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I agree with you about no set tags being big. It's unfortunate that they chose to do this.
On the name arch issue I have some other photo evidence that I think can help convince you it looks fake. Here is another picture of an 05 Beltran pinstripe jersey and some other obvious fakes (with game photo evidence). Look carefully at the placement of the name and the style. The game photos all seem to show the same arch, wheras the others do not.
Chris

Swoboda4
02-27-2006, 02:52 PM
OK I see your point. I took out the measuring stick out and these are the numbers: The arch on my Burnitz and Ventura jerseys are pronounced and the curve height from the bottom of middle letter to where it would have been if laid flat is 1 1/2 inch. What's also missing is separation from the top of the numbers to the bottom of the arch. Your right this jersey is different. The top of the "15" intrudes into the arch giving no space in between. Also "Beltran" looks too big. "Stitches" in Queens is still doing the Mets jerseys(sewing placement of the names and numbers). This wouldn't be their work. But maybe you answered this problem early on when you said the Mets are using extra's because of sales. Maybe it's real,used for one day. This starts a whole new collecting area: jerseys used for one day or the regular issues with set flags.

cbb5
02-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Swoboda4,
I'm glad to see someone else loves the Mets as much as I do! Anyway,
here is the tag for the pinstripe jersey that I posted (not mine) with the correct arch. This looks much more legit than just a size 48 tag. What bothers me is the description in the auction you posted. They say "The tag is completely wrinkled and rolled up due to many washes. The number "15" on the back is puckered due to extensive washing, as is the "Mets" on the front of the jersey. This is literally one of two or three home jerseys in which Carlos used during his debut season with the Mets. This jersey is perfectly tagged, and came directly from the Mets locker room." How can this be if the one I posted is a set 6? Also, if it is in fact a one day jersey, how come the tagging is rolled up due to many washes? This is a whole new can of worms!

suave1477
02-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I disagree with the pictures comment, the jersey that is for sale "BELTRAN" matches the same name as the one where his back is facing us when he is up to bat - the picture next to him sliding into jeter. On that picture the "BELTRAN" has a slight arch but not much!!!!

cbb5
02-27-2006, 03:33 PM
There is no way they are the same arch. Look at the space between the top of the A and the top of the N at the end of BELTRAN. On the game pictures there is very little space indicating less of an arch, whereas on the other jerseys (possibly fake) there is much greater space. To me it is obvious. The letters on the game pictures also look a little smaller (like Swaboda4 said). I don't think I'd touch this jersey. I know Stitches does all of Charlie Samuel's jerseys and I doubt they would produce two different styles of arch. They are located a few miles from Shea, so the likelihood of some other shop lettering Mets jerseys is remote (in my opinion). How do you explain the difference?
Chris