PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Jersey in GUU Auction

ahuff
04-19-2008, 05:40 AM
I remember when StLouisMo parted with this jersey, and it made me sick to my stomach. I don't know how much he received, but I'm guessing he will be kicking himself here when the final second ticks off this auction. It was like SkipCareyisFat is a prophet, as it did end up on the GUU auction - just not by the original guy.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/auction/lot.php?id=610

CollectGU
04-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I tried to buy the jersey to do exactly that but was beaten to the punch. I did find it amusing that everyone was happy in the other thread that it was going into Rob's collection to be appreciated by a true collector, then...flip, it's in the auction! The almighty dollar is a powerful thing indeed...

Regards,
Dave

kingjammy24
04-19-2008, 02:58 PM
did dan sullivan not directly consign this jersey to GUU?

i'm hearing indications that it was purchased and consigned by steinmetz. is that true? is steinmetz also not one of the authenticators for the GUU auction?

rudy.

RobSteinmetz
04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Knowing what this jersey might fetch at auction, I initially contacted Dan Sullivan about consigning it to GUU. He stated that he was not interested in consigning, but wanted to sell immediately. As a result, this jersey was purchased outright for inclusion in the auction. This jersey comes with a letter from Dan Sullivan, which includes a detailed account as to how it was won/obtained. If you have any questions about the validity of the item, let me know.

kingjammy24
04-19-2008, 05:48 PM
rob,

thanks for your reply. i understand how dan came into possession of it. i have no questions whatsoever regarding the legitimacy of the item.

that said, i know that GUU prides itself on leading the way in terms of full disclosure and doing everything as ethically and transparently as possible. with that in mind, did GUU purchase the jersey or rob steinmetz on behalf of rob steinmetz? that is, who's the actual consigner? it seems to me that in either case, the auction ought to make mention of items owned and being directly consigned by GUU and/or its authenticators. don't you agree?

thanks,

rudy.

RobSteinmetz
04-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Rudy,

In the last auction, we made a point to note the items that I consigned. The same thing should have been done prior to the launch of this auction, but Chris is in the process of adding that information to the appropriate listings now. In the meantime, here is a list of my consignments to this auction for your review.

Patrick Roy Avalanche jersey
Wade Boggs game used Red Sox helmet
1976 road Lou Brock jersey
George Halas vintage pro model Houghkirk Polin bat
Jim Leyritz Yankees helmet
Devin Hester game worn Univ. of Miami jersey
Poti New York Islanders jersey
Jacob Ellsbury game worn Portland Sea Dogs jersey
Team-signed Wizards ball from Jordan's final game
Michael Jordan game used LS bat
(3) Tour of Japan 1979 contracts
2007 road Jim Edmonds jersey
2007 home Alfonso Soriano Cubs jersey
2007 road Derrek Lee jersey
2007 road Matt Murton jersey
2007 road Mark DeRosa jersey
2007 road Ted Lilly jersey
1985 Jack Clark Silver Slugger Award
2003 Albert Pujols home jerseyIf you have any questions, let me know. I hope this helps.

Best,

Rob

ChrisCavalier
04-19-2008, 06:34 PM
No problem adding that to the descriptions. I should have it done before the end of the weekend.

Sincerely,
Chris

CollectGU
04-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi Chris,

I'm curious. Are there other lots in the auction that are onwed by the authenticators listed in your auction and/or the owner(s) of GUU? Are there items in the auction that any of the named above have partial ownership in?

Thanks,
Dave

bigtruck260
04-21-2008, 02:08 PM
All I can say about it is...

Great Job Rob. If I had the resources, I would have done the same thing.
If I was to consign an item to auction, there is a 100% chance I would only consign it to the company I worked for - if I believed in the integrity of the auction house.

There was a discrepancy at first, but I think the air has been cleared. I am satisfied as a Cardinals collector.

Dave

RobSteinmetz
04-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Some say it's impossible to be a collector and a dealer. I feel blessed to have found a way to do both. Those who know me understand my passion for this stuff, and also realize that I am far from being coin-operated. The fact is, I would have kept the Pujols jersey for myself if I didn't have what I feel as though is a better example in my personal collection. Also, like most, my budget is limited and this jersey came along right after I purchased my second Pujols game used first baseman's glove (a 2006 to match my 2005). These issues, however, pale in comparison to a far bigger problem....I need more display room!

Best,

Rob

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9185/46345627fy6.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2214/1001rb5.jpg

Birdbats
04-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Rob, looks like you have plenty of available display space. Just get rid of all that Cubs crap and you'll have lots of room for more Cardinals memorabilia. :)

MSpecht
04-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi Dave--

I just read this thresd and want to note that I consigned one item to the GUU Auction -- Lot # 14 -- J.R. Williamson Game Used 1968 Boston Patriots (American Football League) Jersey which has been in my personal collection since I purchased it from Murf Denny in the 1980's. I only authenticate baseball bats on the GUU site, and had no part in the authentication of this football jersey.

Mike Specht Jackitout7@aol.com

kingjammy24
04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
rob & chris c: great! i wish the other auction houses were so quick and forthcoming with such information.

mike specht: mike, are you trying to rock the boat or something? get with the times! start authenticating your own items. come up with your own grading system (i recommend calling it "specht-o-meter") and give that puppy an "S10"! how else do you expect to maximize that flip?

rudy.

CollectGU
04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Chris,

Are there any other items owned and bought by you or other members of game used universe that are in the aution?

Thanks,
Dave

worldchamps
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I never get tired of looking at Rob's collection. i have the files and saved on my desktop, i have shown so many people and say that "maybe some day" I can have a display like this.

Also, my 2 cents, i have never bought or sold, or even met Rob, but he is one if the nicest most honest people i have spoken/emailed with. I see nothing wrong with him buying/selling/consigning on here.....if anything i would bid more knowing it came from him....my 2 cents, maybe 3.

Bill

ChrisCavalier
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Chris,

Are there any other items owned and bought by you or other members of game used universe that are in the aution?

Thanks,
Dave
Hello Dave,

There are also six items I personally consigned to this auction (they are not high profile items and are intended to offer something to collectors without big money). They are: the Dave Kingman bat, the Jose Canseco bat, the Dave Parker bat, the Ron Cey bat, the Chet Lemon bat and the John Halama glove. I will be adding the statements to all the items tonight.

As for the ownership of Game Used Universe, right now I am the principle owner. The only other party currently who has contributed money for a very small equity stake in GUU is our technology director who has nothing to do at all with the hobby side of the business. He simply saw our business model and wanted to invest.

Sincerely,
Chris