PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Reaction

Calrima
04-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Friends,

I was just taking out a Black Hoosier bat of Joey Cora ,out of the bat tube and the bat was stuck in the tube. When the bat finally did come out, all the rubber from the end cap had MELTED on the bats end of barrell.

Be carefull gang, as this has never happened to me in 30 years of collecting.
Dennis

BULBUS
04-18-2008, 01:59 PM
It took me a while, but I finally stopped leaning those bat tubes against painted walls. They always remove the paint where the black cap is in contact with the wall.

Calrima
04-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Needless to say. all my bats have been removed from the tuibes. Thank god, it didnt happen to my Winfield or Pudge bats. Whew!

Dennis

bigtruck260
04-18-2008, 03:04 PM
It took me a while, but I finally stopped leaning those bat tubes against painted walls. They always remove the paint where the black cap is in contact with the wall.

Haha. I have strategically placed frames where "tube marks" were left after leaning them against walls. I only have 2 of them , but they have caused mucho damage to my Man Cave.

This thread is going to save some new collectors a big hassle. They should be outlawed.

Dave

Redbird64
04-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I've never liked the tubes with the rubber end caps. Mostly because they are a pain to remove from the tube. I use the kind with the plastic end caps and have never had any issues.

stlbats
04-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Was the tube that melted on your bat in a warm/hot area?

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

grandpahoo
04-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Friends,

I was just taking out a Black Hoosier bat of Joey Cora ,out of the bat tube and the bat was stuck in the tube. When the bat finally did come out, all the rubber from the end cap had MELTED on the bats end of barrell.

Dennis

This just happened to my Albert Belle bat.

AWA85
04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Is this only happening to bat tubes with the black rubber cap on it?

godwulf
04-21-2008, 07:33 PM
When I was a newbee collector, I put a couple of bats that I'd just gotten signed, in plastic tubes, in the trunk of my car, and left them there for a couple of hours. I live in Arizona, and it was Summer - not the best plan. The bats were unharmed, but I had to cut the tubes off of them.

10thMan
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Friends,

Dennis
Good thread!
The Rubber ended Tubes are slightly larger in diameter, allowing for larger barrelled Bats. I have a `84 Gwynn Rawlings that I had taped the rubber end shut, while the Bat was in Storage. The Tape softened up & got gooey, almost getting on the Bat. I use small Plastic Grocery bags on the bottom of the Tubes, allows a bit of padding, it also pads the PSA/DNA Stickers on the bottom of the Barrel. I don`t really like them, but for storage, or transport I use them.
Sean

Calrima
04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
If my original posting saves just one person from this nightmare, it is all worth it.

The sharing of valubale information is what really makes this group a blessing to me.

Thanks,
Dennis

AWA85
04-22-2008, 12:15 AM
I have a few of these tubes and plan on switching them out. Thanks for the help!

stlbats
04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I have some bats in these tubes. I am thinking of stuffing a new sock or something in the end for the bats to sit on to keep them away from the rubber caps.

any thoughts on this?

or other ideas?

thanks
jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net