PDA

View Full Version : Where's The Best Place to Meet Astros?

frikativ54
04-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Hey Houstonians and Friends,

I would like to meet some Astros players. Back when I was in seventh grade, my Dad took me to Houston and we got the autographs of about half the team before the game. This was way back in 1998. Moises Alou, Billy Wagner, Jeff Bagwell, and countless others were willing to either sign or chat with us. Although he has the reputation of being kind of a jerk, I found that Billy Wagner was the nicest of all of them.

Now that several years have passed, and the Astros have a new stadium, I am wondering where the best place is to get autographs, chat with the players, etc. My only Houston show experience was with Hunter Pence, and as I've mentioned before, I had one of my worst experiences ever meeting him. Rude, wouldn't even acknowledge me or take a photo when I told him I came from halfway across the country to see the Astros play. That was after I bought a $500 lightly game-used bat. I sure wish I had that $500 back, as it was my total savings and I hate the sight of that bat.

To make a long story short, I will probably be returning to Houston in the near future, and I would like to figure out where are the best places to meet Houston Astros players like I did back when I was in the 7th grade. Please, Houstonians, let me know so I don't repeat the bad experience with Pence. Thanks for any help you can provide.

frikativ54
04-18-2008, 02:05 AM
bump - any more thoughts? The TriStar show's going to be breaking the bank, if I even make it there.

-Frik

loumud
04-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey Houstonians and Friends,

I would like to meet some Astros players. Back when I was in seventh grade, my Dad took me to Houston and we got the autographs of about half the team before the game. This was way back in 1998. Moises Alou, Billy Wagner, Jeff Bagwell, and countless others were willing to either sign or chat with us. Although he has the reputation of being kind of a jerk, I found that Billy Wagner was the nicest of all of them.

Now that several years have passed, and the Astros have a new stadium, I am wondering where the best place is to get autographs, chat with the players, etc. My only Houston show experience was with Hunter Pence, and as I've mentioned before, I had one of my worst experiences ever meeting him. Rude, wouldn't even acknowledge me or take a photo when I told him I came from halfway across the country to see the Astros play. That was after I bought a $500 lightly game-used bat. I sure wish I had that $500 back, as it was my total savings and I hate the sight of that bat.

To make a long story short, I will probably be returning to Houston in the near future, and I would like to figure out where are the best places to meet Houston Astros players like I did back when I was in the 7th grade. Please, Houstonians, let me know so I don't repeat the bad experience with Pence. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Frik,

Can't help you with the Houston info, but it sounds like Hunter's been taking some advice from Lance Berkman on how to interact with fans and signing habits! Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with him. I go to talk with him briefly a few times here in SD during the recent series with the Padres, and he struck me more as being uncomfortable and taken aback by his popularity than just being plain rude. In person he does insist on personalizing everything he signs for adults, which is probably something he learned from Ausmus. I guess everything depends on who the younger players take up as role models!

Vintagedeputy
04-18-2008, 08:23 PM
"Where's The Best Place to Meet Astros?"

Do you mean, romantically? :)

Jim

frikativ54
04-19-2008, 01:19 AM
"Where's The Best Place to Meet Astros?"

Do you mean, romantically? :)

Jim

I hope you're joking. One of the frustrating things about being a female fan is that people think sex is at the bottom of everything. I've always been a big Berkman collector (although some of his off-field actions drive me crazy), though I have absolutely no attraction to him.

There is only one current Astro I think is decent-looking, and that is J.R. Towles. Even then, I wouldn't want to marry him, as I would hate to be known as merely x player's wife. My Mom does think looks are important though. She has always swooned over Brad Ausmus and Craig Biggio.

frikativ54
04-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Frik,

Can't help you with the Houston info, but it sounds like Hunter's been taking some advice from Lance Berkman on how to interact with fans and signing habits! Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with him. I go to talk with him briefly a few times here in SD during the recent series with the Padres, and he struck me more as being uncomfortable and taken aback by his popularity than just being plain rude. In person he does insist on personalizing everything he signs for adults, which is probably something he learned from Ausmus. I guess everything depends on who the younger players take up as role models!

I've never met Berkman, although I tried unsuccessfully to get his autograph in Arizona last May. Is he rude? Does he just not sign at all?

I don't quite understand the personalization thing. I mean, if you brought a Pence gamer, would he seriously personalize it to you? Man - what a jerk.

Vintagedeputy
04-19-2008, 09:48 AM
I hope you're joking. One of the frustrating things about being a female fan is that people think sex is at the bottom of everything. I've always been a big Berkman collector (although some of his off-field actions drive me crazy), though I have absolutely no attraction to him.

There is only one current Astro I think is decent-looking, and that is J.R. Towles. Even then, I wouldn't want to marry him, as I would hate to be known as merely x player's wife. My Mom does think looks are important though. She has always swooned over Brad Ausmus and Craig Biggio.

Yes, I was joking, hence the ":)".

I actually had no idea that you were female. It just sounded funny when you said "where's the best place to meet Astros?". It reminded me of someone saying "where's the best place to meet single women?"

no offense intended

eGameUsed
04-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Sorry Frik! JR is getting married in November!

Thanks,

loumud
04-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I've never met Berkman, although I tried unsuccessfully to get his autograph in Arizona last May. Is he rude? Does he just not sign at all?

I don't quite understand the personalization thing. I mean, if you brought a Pence gamer, would he seriously personalize it to you? Man - what a jerk.

Lance isn't necessarily rude to fans, be he'll usually just walk by without acknowledging you, or sometimes he'll just say "not now" and keep walking. I was amazed when he stopped this year outside the park in SD. He was the last autograph I needed to finish my 2005 Astros WS team photo, and I had been trying for 2 years to get him to sign it!!

Also, I think if you personally asked Hunter to sign your bat, you might have some luck with him not insisting on personalizing it, being a lady and all. Players' demeanor towards women and kids is a lot different than with men. You asking him is a lot different than a 40-yr old man with 12 O'clock shadow and a beer gut asking him to sign it. Some players just think anyone over 20 is going to sell their stuff on ebay! I think it's funny that players like Ausmus and Preston Wilson insist on personalizing everything. I know Ausmus is popular in the Houston area, but I might be able to get like $5 on ebay for his autograph!! I would barely break even on the actual cost of the item he signed...

frikativ54
04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Lance isn't necessarily rude to fans, be he'll usually just walk by without acknowledging you, or sometimes he'll just say "not now" and keep walking. I was amazed when he stopped this year outside the park in SD. He was the last autograph I needed to finish my 2005 Astros WS team photo, and I had been trying for 2 years to get him to sign it!!

Also, I think if you personally asked Hunter to sign your bat, you might have some luck with him not insisting on personalizing it, being a lady and all. Players' demeanor towards women and kids is a lot different than with men. You asking him is a lot different than a 40-yr old man with 12 O'clock shadow and a beer gut asking him to sign it. Some players just think anyone over 20 is going to sell their stuff on ebay! I think it's funny that players like Ausmus and Preston Wilson insist on personalizing everything. I know Ausmus is popular in the Houston area, but I might be able to get like $5 on ebay for his autograph!! I would barely break even on the actual cost of the item he signed...

What were Biggio and Bagwell like as signers? In my limited experience, I had a lot of luck with Bagwell. Biggio seemed a bit brusque, but I was able to get his John Hancock before an Astros vs. D-Backs game in Arizona. Most of my autograph experience has been in Arizona, since my parents own a home there, and I go to 'Stros games there whenever I can. Just curious what they were like, as I've never lived in Houston.

loumud
04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
What were Biggio and Bagwell like as signers? In my limited experience, I had a lot of luck with Bagwell. Biggio seemed a bit brusque, but I was able to get his John Hancock before an Astros vs. D-Backs game in Arizona. Most of my autograph experience has been in Arizona, since my parents own a home there, and I go to 'Stros games there whenever I can. Just curious what they were like, as I've never lived in Houston.

Hey Frik,

This thread is probably more appropriate for the autograph forum, but I'll reply to your previous query in turn. Compared to the pro athletes today, Bags and Biggio were phenomenal. I couldn't assign a 'personality plus' to either when I encountered them in person, but at least they signed. For the series' here in SD, I could usually count on getting each at least 3-4 times per person each series. They didn't particularly smile each time or talk to the fans too much, but they did stop and sign whenever I saw them. Biggio always insisted on signing 1 auto per person, and I saw Bagwell do that upon occasion. Considering the length of their careers, I can honestly say that I hold them in the highest respect for keeping consistent on their signing habits. I've heard that when Berkman signs for free, he usually won't sign any game used items in blue sharpie, which is unfortunate since I'm the type of person who prefers a blue auto on blonde bats or 8x10s if there's a light background. It has nothing to do with resale value or anything like that. It's just my preference!

Anyway, that's my take on eveything from my experience. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions, but for now anything further should probably be taken to the autograph forum on this site. Thanks!

frikativ54
04-20-2008, 04:03 AM
Hey Frik,

This thread is probably more appropriate for the autograph forum, but I'll reply to your previous query in turn. Compared to the pro athletes today, Bags and Biggio were phenomenal. I couldn't assign a 'personality plus' to either when I encountered them in person, but at least they signed.

Just one more question: what do you mean by a "personality plus"? I have never heard that term used before.

loumud
04-20-2008, 11:34 AM
'Personality Plus' is a term that describes someone who is happy, outgoing, overly friendly. etc. It's usually used as a sarcastic term, meaning if you encounter someone who is quiet, unemotional or reserved you would say "wow, that person was personality plus!"

Master Shake
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
I can't say from experience during the regular season but Hunter Pence was a great signer this past spring training. I've never seen a player sign as much as Pence did. I got him at least 5-6 times. Berkman is especially tough to get. When he does sign its maybe 10 people max and that's it and from what I've seen he's more likely to sign if there's not a lot of people around as opposed to when there's a crowd of people. When we went to a Braves spring training game he came out with his left arm wrapped in ice. Some people asked if he could sign a couple autographs and he put up his arm and said he couldn't sign. The funny thing is he signs with his left hand not his right. I don't have a problem with someone not wanting to sign autographs but I would much prefer a player to be truthful and tell fans that they won't be signing today instead of making excuses or telling them they'll sign later and don't.

Just a little rant. Good luck to you getting autographs! Just don't get your hopes up on Berkman and Oswalt. They're tough but consider yourself lucky if you do get them!

frikativ54
04-20-2008, 09:19 PM
When we went to a Braves spring training game he came out with his left arm wrapped in ice. Some people asked if he could sign a couple autographs and he put up his arm and said he couldn't sign. The funny thing is he signs with his left hand not his right. I don't have a problem with someone not wanting to sign autographs but I would much prefer a player to be truthful and tell fans that they won't be signing today instead of making excuses or telling them they'll sign later and don't.

Did you mean that his right arm was wrapped in ice? Otherwise, your claim about Berkman being untruthful makes no sense.

-Frik

Master Shake
04-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Oops sorry. Yeah his right arm was wrapped in ice.

Master Shake
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Edit again: His left arm was the one wrapped in ice because he signs with his right hand. I really wish you could edit your posts lol.

platinum1
04-22-2008, 12:47 AM
I can't say from experience during the regular season but Hunter Pence was a great signer this past spring training. I've never seen a player sign as much as Pence did. I got him at least 5-6 times. Berkman is especially tough to get. When he does sign its maybe 10 people max and that's it and from what I've seen he's more likely to sign if there's not a lot of people around as opposed to when there's a crowd of people. When we went to a Braves spring training game he came out with his left arm wrapped in ice. Some people asked if he could sign a couple autographs and he put up his arm and said he couldn't sign. The funny thing is he signs with his left hand not his right. I don't have a problem with someone not wanting to sign autographs but I would much prefer a player to be truthful and tell fans that they won't be signing today instead of making excuses or telling them they'll sign later and don't.

Just a little rant. Good luck to you getting autographs! Just don't get your hopes up on Berkman and Oswalt. They're tough but consider yourself lucky if you do get them!
The best one is when the player is on the cell phone and tells you he cant sign because he's on the phone. Then the phone starts to ring . But if you ever have a chance to get to Wrigley Field almost every player takes a Cab in and they have to walk up to the gates to get in. Thats when you hit him up. I have so many autographs by doing that.

frikativ54
04-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Edit again: His left arm was the one wrapped in ice because he signs with his right hand. I really wish you could edit your posts lol.

The Puma signs right-handed, but throws left-handed? Sounds pretty rare. I have known left-handed ballplayers who bat and throw right-handed, including Craig Biggio (and me), but not the other way around. Maybe he didn't want to sign because his arm was sore. He could have been honest and was in too much pain to sign.

frikativ54
04-22-2008, 02:35 PM
The best one is when the player is on the cell phone and tells you he cant sign because he's on the phone. Then the phone starts to ring.

You've had this happen? Often?

Fnazxc0114
04-22-2008, 02:47 PM
cj wilson of the rangers throws left handed but signs right handed. he said he signs with both hands to see if he can make them both look the same. pretty interesting character. he signed a ball for me once from right to left and it looked just like his other sigs. pretty funny.

platinum1
04-22-2008, 02:55 PM
You've had this happen? Often?
OH YEAH!! At Wrigley the players get dropped off at the curve about 20 yards away from the entrance. I understand it's very early in the morning and some guys dont want to sign but dont lie about it.

skyking26
04-22-2008, 05:04 PM
in last place...

cjosefy
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
in last place...
Check the standings. I do believe we are in second to last place.

frikativ54
04-22-2008, 07:14 PM
in last place...

No need to be mean-spirited. Every team is there from time-to-time.

skyking26
04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
No need to be mean-spirited. Every team is there from time-to-time.
Just having some fun. Check out our highly touted Tigers: Last place. So, relax and don't get worked up.

loumud
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
The Puma signs right-handed, but throws left-handed? Sounds pretty rare. I have known left-handed ballplayers who bat and throw right-handed, including Craig Biggio (and me), but not the other way around. Maybe he didn't want to sign because his arm was sore. He could have been honest and was in too much pain to sign.

Leslie,

The point to get here is that Lance is not a good signer anymore, by any stretch of the imagination! I heard that he had an issue with ebay a while back where someone was selling a forged item of his, and he tried to sue someone, or something or another. So, since then he rarely signs. 3 years ago here in SD, he was very friendly and polite with fans and signed multiple items for us outside the stadium. Since then I've gotten nothing but the 'Heisman' from him when I approached him, which is why I almost fainted when he stopped to sign for us this past series in SD. But, I'm sure it had something to do with the small crowd, probably 7 of us or so. I heard from some others that went to Spring Training in Kissimmee that he didn't sign for anyone there either the whole time.

Anyway, if you're really interested in getting Puma's auto, I would suggest coming out for the Tri Star show in June, or try to make it out to H-town next year during Caravan or Fanfest where you might be able to get him for free. Otherwise, the planets have to align, God has to be in a good mood, and the groundhog has to see his/her shadow all at the same moment for you to get him to sign in person on the street!!
:D

Master Shake
04-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Leslie,

The point to get here is that Lance is not a good signer anymore, by any stretch of the imagination! I heard that he had an issue with ebay a while back where someone was selling a forged item of his, and he tried to sue someone, or something or another. So, since then he rarely signs. 3 years ago here in SD, he was very friendly and polite with fans and signed multiple items for us outside the stadium. Since then I've gotten nothing but the 'Heisman' from him when I approached him, which is why I almost fainted when he stopped to sign for us this past series in SD. But, I'm sure it had something to do with the small crowd, probably 7 of us or so. I heard from some others that went to Spring Training in Kissimmee that he didn't sign for anyone there either the whole time.

Anyway, if you're really interested in getting Puma's auto, I would suggest coming out for the Tri Star show in June, or try to make it out to H-town next year during Caravan or Fanfest where you might be able to get him for free. Otherwise, the planets have to align, God has to be in a good mood, and the groundhog has to see his/her shadow all at the same moment for you to get him to sign in person on the street!!
:D

I live about 20 minutes from where the Astros practice and play their spring training games and went to about 10 workouts and 4 games and I saw Berkman stop to sign twice. The key to getting him is to ask when there's not a lot of people around. Both times he came out of the batting cage and he had to walk among the people to go back to the clubhouse. He would say he'd sign by the gated fence area they had set up which is right by the entrance to the clubhouse. The first time people ran over to the fence and I walked and waited in line. He signed maybe 10 autographs in a line of maybe 20-30 people and walked away. I was so bummed. The second time I didn't make that mistake and we he came out of the batting cage and said he'd sign by the gate I power-walked my way over and was the 3rd person in line and finally got his autograph. He wasn't the most personal kind of guy either as he walked with his head down but I guess stardom does that to you.

Surprisingly, the hardest person to get autographs from my experience is Roy Oswalt. For the second year in a row I wasn't able to snag his autograph. There was one guy who was there who had gotten every single player on the 40-man roster to sign for him except Roy Oswalt. He would always ask Oswalt if he could sign after he got done with his workout and Oswalt always said he would but as soon as he finished up his running he went right into the clubhouse. During games he'll come out with his head down and walk right into the dugout. Not even a hello or anything.

In no means do I expect them to sign autographs as it is not a duty for them and I don't get bummed if I don't get them to sign for me but I would rather a player say they're not going to sign autographs today than say I'll sign later and dart to the clubhouse as soon as they finish their routines. I wouldn't even mind if they just signed for the kids who do look up to these guys as role models and idols. I'm still a kid at heart myself being only 21 and I still get the star struck feeling sometimes meeting a player I grew up watching.

loumud
04-23-2008, 02:44 AM
I live about 20 minutes from where the Astros practice and play their spring training games and went to about 10 workouts and 4 games and I saw Berkman stop to sign twice. The key to getting him is to ask when there's not a lot of people around. Both times he came out of the batting cage and he had to walk among the people to go back to the clubhouse. He would say he'd sign by the gated fence area they had set up which is right by the entrance to the clubhouse. The first time people ran over to the fence and I walked and waited in line. He signed maybe 10 autographs in a line of maybe 20-30 people and walked away. I was so bummed. The second time I didn't make that mistake and we he came out of the batting cage and said he'd sign by the gate I power-walked my way over and was the 3rd person in line and finally got his autograph. He wasn't the most personal kind of guy either as he walked with his head down but I guess stardom does that to you.

Surprisingly, the hardest person to get autographs from my experience is Roy Oswalt. For the second year in a row I wasn't able to snag his autograph. There was one guy who was there who had gotten every single player on the 40-man roster to sign for him except Roy Oswalt. He would always ask Oswalt if he could sign after he got done with his workout and Oswalt always said he would but as soon as he finished up his running he went right into the clubhouse. During games he'll come out with his head down and walk right into the dugout. Not even a hello or anything.

In no means do I expect them to sign autographs as it is not a duty for them and I don't get bummed if I don't get them to sign for me but I would rather a player say they're not going to sign autographs today than say I'll sign later and dart to the clubhouse as soon as they finish their routines. I wouldn't even mind if they just signed for the kids who do look up to these guys as role models and idols. I'm still a kid at heart myself being only 21 and I still get the star struck feeling sometimes meeting a player I grew up watching.

Wow, that's realy surprising to hear about Oswalt. He actually signed for us 3 of the 4 days they were here in SD (except the first night - his pitching night). He'll usually sign only on one day of each series out here, but was more accommodating this year. He usually not very talkative when he does it, but he remains accessible to us. You should move out to San Diego or at least make it out here when the 'Stros are in town, Master Shaker!!! I was able to get everyone on the team this year that I wanted, many even multiple times...

platinum1
04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Wow, that's realy surprising to hear about Oswalt. He actually signed for us 3 of the 4 days they were here in SD (except the first night - his pitching night). He'll usually sign only on one day of each series out here, but was more accommodating this year. He usually not very talkative when he does it, but he remains accessible to us. You should move out to San Diego or at least make it out here when the 'Stros are in town, Master Shaker!!! I was able to get everyone on the team this year that I wanted, many even multiple times...
I have to agree Oswalt is good except on Pitching nights. I got him to sign at the teams hotel after he came back from having dinner one night. I guess the Manager from the restaurant gave him a free meal and Oswalt wanted to return the favor and ask us for an extra baseball and ask us to give it to the manager for the free meal.

frikativ54
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM

I wish the Astros were in San Diego again this summer. My Dad says that we can drive from our vacation home in Arizona to SD and see some Astros games if the 'Stros are in town next summer. If that happens, I would definitely fetch autographs before the game.

frikativ54
04-23-2008, 11:40 PM

I do think that players owe it to the fans to sign autographs. I mean, we pay their million-dollar salaries at the park; the least they can do is sign autographs for young people. Growing up, I remember A-Rod saying at Spring Training in AZ that he would sign "this afternoon." Of course, he never came back, and I think it was at that point that I stopped being a Mariners fan.

The Mariners of the mid-1990s were the worst. Griffey, A-Rod, and Buhner - they were all bad. I heard a waitress say that Buhner wasn't even nice to a little kid. I'd wish players would just say "Bad day. Maybe some other day," and then walk away, if they weren't going to sign. Rather than, "I'll sign later," knowing that they won't oblige. And the little kid is taking his hero so literally...how sad.

obeyone10
05-01-2008, 10:42 AM
I just wanted to chime in on the Astros issue, since I live in Houston.

Berkman, Biggio and Bagwell are great guys. Don't take it personally if they won't sign at a game. Before working in the sports memorabilia business, I used to go to spring training all over Florida. Lance broke a bat and I kindly asked him if I could have it and he passed it through the fence. I later got it signed and personalized.

Biggio wouldn't take a picture of me before a Marlins game in Miami, but Bagwell did.

Sometimes I run into players at the mall, church, nightclubs, coffe shops, gym or restaurants. The players parking lot is the best place if you can get through security!

If you really want a Berkman item signed, you can contact my brother Jason with PMI www.platinummarketinginternational.com (http://www.platinummarketinginternational.com). He sells all Lance's game used items and can get items signed and personalized. (take pictures if requested for proof)
I'll try to attach some pictures: