PDA

View Full Version : Mastro Authentication Policy

kingjammy24
04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
i know that many have found Mastro's new authentication and "code of conduct" policies both confusing and amusing.

i was perusing Mastro's website and saw this:

"Jerseys - Mastro Auctions provides our own LOAs for all game used Jerseys. Behind these LOAs is most targeted and comprehensive authentication process in the business. For each auction we assemble a team of experts that will work together to examine all of our game used jerseys. No individual names will be associated with this work based on the fact that we will only offer items where the team unanimously deems the item to be authentic. We have engaged PSA/DNA to oversee this process to ensure the necessary steps are being taken to ensure this authentication is being conducted in the most professional and comprehensive manner possible."

I was curious about PSA/DNA's role in this so I emailed PSA/DNA president Joe Orlando today. Joe was good enough to email me back quickly and had this to say about their role with Mastro:

"PSA/DNA is, in no way, engaged in game-used jersey authentication or in overseeing their process...The service they offer has nothing to do with PSA/DNA."

Joe also mentioned that he has instructed Mastro to correct this but apparently to date they have not.

rudy.

Eric
04-16-2008, 06:20 PM
So was it an overstatement? A mis-statement? What is the confusion?

By the way

"Mastro Auctions stands behind the authenticity of the items in the company’s auctions, and we attempt to make every effort to offer genuine material—all of which has been evaluated and authenticated by the leading experts in the hobby.... ALL AUTOGRAPH AND GAME USED EQUIPMENT SALES ARE FINAL."

TNTtoys
04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
we attempt to make every effort to offer genuine material—all of which has been evaluated and authenticated by the leading experts in the hobby.... ALL AUTOGRAPH AND GAME USED EQUIPMENT SALES ARE FINAL."

So, in other words, they will try to get it right with no guarantee. If they don't, well, tough luck. All items will be looked at by "the leading experts" in the hobby, who we have established are not PSA/DNA, but not who they in fact are. Not exactly sure what this policy means but it certainly wouldn't give me a warm & fuzzy feeling.

Vintagedeputy
04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Imagine that! Joe Orlando calling out another company for lying!

Now I've seen it all!

Eric
04-16-2008, 09:42 PM
i know that many have found Mastro's new authentication and "code of conduct" policies both confusing and amusing.

i was perusing Mastro's website and saw this:

"Jerseys - Mastro Auctions provides our own LOAs for all game used Jerseys. Behind these LOAs is most targeted and comprehensive authentication process in the business. For each auction we assemble a team of experts that will work together to examine all of our game used jerseys. No individual names will be associated with this work based on the fact that we will only offer items where the team unanimously deems the item to be authentic. We have engaged PSA/DNA to oversee this process to ensure the necessary steps are being taken to ensure this authentication is being conducted in the most professional and comprehensive manner possible."

I was curious about PSA/DNA's role in this so I emailed PSA/DNA president Joe Orlando today. Joe was good enough to email me back quickly and had this to say about their role with Mastro:

"PSA/DNA is, in no way, engaged in game-used jersey authentication or in overseeing their process...The service they offer has nothing to do with PSA/DNA."

Joe also mentioned that he has instructed Mastro to correct this but apparently to date they have not.

rudy.

Again, this is an odd correction to make. Either they're overseeing it, or they're not. Maybe I'm missing something, like they had been doing it and decided not to continue? Anyone?

Were they ever overseeing things?

Was that listed for their last auction? If so, does that mean people could have purchased items under the assumption PSA/DNA was overseeing the events when they weren't? The whole thing confuses me.

cjmedina1
04-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Eric

One thing that ticked me off was that I emailed them on a Mcgwire bat lot.I was asking for more info and they responded" I notice your not a registered bidder.Please register and THEN we can help answer your question" Some Customer service they have.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

David
04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
If I recall correctly, when the new Mastro LOA info came out it said John Taube was overseeing the authentication and/or process. He already provides the LOAs for the bats. Taube is associated with PSA.

kingjammy24
04-17-2008, 01:23 AM
i don't want to put words in joe orlando's mouth or infer things. however, from my understanding, PSA/DNA never oversaw the process. i don't know why Mastro wrote that they did. is there a method to doug allen's madness? if there is, i can't figure it out.

secondly, the very idea of PSA/DNA overseeing the jersey authentication process is more than a little strange considering PSA/DNA has no experience or expertise in this area. PSA/DNA currently doesn't engage in jersey authentications so i'm unsure why mastro would even want to advertise them in that capacity.

it's also strange that joe has requested that mastro correct the error and yet they haven't. if one didn't contact PSA/DNA for confirmation and just went by the Mastro website, then it'd be incredibly misleading and, as eric mentioned, they'd be purchasing items under a false impression.

re: taube
taube is affiliated with PSA/DNA however he's also an independent authenticator and has his own company, JT Sports. according to joe orlando, PSA/DNA, as a company, is not associated or involved in any way with Mastro's jersey authentication program, despite what Mastro has published.

rudy.

David
04-17-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm just saying that I recall Mastro saying that Taube was going to oversee the authentication process. That's what I read.

Made in Motown
04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
secondly, the very idea of PSA/DNA overseeing the jersey authentication process is more than a little strange considering PSA/DNA has no experience or expertise in this area. PSA/DNA currently doesn't engage in jersey authentications so i'm unsure why mastro would even want to advertise them in that capacity.

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but this has been bothering me. Multiple game used and game issued jerseys are offered on NFL Auctions that come with PSA/DNA COAs. A lot of these jerseys have no signature, so what is PSA/DNA authenticating? According to a rep I talked to PSA/DNA does not actually see these jerseys. An NFL rep tags them as they come off the field, and then are sent to NFL Auctions. But this dosn't explain the old jerseys they have w/ PSA/DNA authentications: http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=93271661&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=93618371

Is PSA/DNA now authenticating game worn jerseys, in the sense that they are allowing their name to be put on COAs even though they aren't actually doing anything? I'm sure there is an explanation, maybe someone else will have more luck finding it out than me.

bigtruck260
04-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Sorry about hijacking the thread, but this has been bothering me. Multiple game used and game issued jerseys are offered on NFL Auctions that come with PSA/DNA COAs. A lot of these jerseys have no signature, so what is PSA/DNA authenticating? According to a rep I talked to PSA/DNA does not actually see these jerseys. An NFL rep tags them as they come off the field, and then are sent to NFL Auctions. But this dosn't explain the old jerseys they have w/ PSA/DNA authentications: http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=93271661&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=93618371

Is PSA/DNA now authenticating game worn jerseys, in the sense that they are allowing their name to be put on COAs even though they aren't actually doing anything? I'm sure there is an explanation, maybe someone else will have more luck finding it out than me.

As with all things in the sports memorabilia hobby - PSA is one of the more recognizeable brand names out there...even beginners are aware of PSA. We all know the drill (most of us here) - but those who are new to collecting equipment might just make the false connection the PSA is the be-all to end-all in the overall hobby.

I have always thought that the authentication companies are cop-outs for actual personal research and discovery.

Dealers like PSA / JSA because it offers them a second opinion and a reason to place a premium on items...but as an experienced buyer, I have little regard for the word of those businesses. If I bought all of my stuff based on an oval sticker with a number attached to it...I would have a suspect collection.

Bottom line - PSA is for beginning collectors and dealers.
Nothing replaces actual research.

Dave

suave1477
04-17-2008, 10:01 AM

AM I MISSING SOMETHING????????

I looked at the auction you posted I don't see anywhere it saying anything regarding PSA/DNA

Made in Motown
04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
AM I MISSING SOMETHING????????

I looked at the auction you posted I don't see anywhere it saying anything regarding PSA/DNA

Click on the photo that shows the front of the jersey.

David
04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
PSA/DNA DNA tags the balls for the Super Bowl. In this case NFL is hiring them as an independent company to mark the balls. The NFL and MLB have outside companies to mark and/or catalog game used items as a policy. MLB uses an accounting firm.

David
04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
I should add that I don't know how hard it is to get that DNA for marking, but the only sports memorabilia companies I know of that have the capabilities are PSA/DNA, GAI and maybe JSA. Thus, if the NFL wants the DNA marking on their items, PSA is probably the best sports company to handle it.

David
04-17-2008, 01:22 PM
My guess is, as with MLB, the NFL wants a well known outside company to mark and catalog their game used items, including NFL balls. This is for appearances as much as anything. Though PSA/DNA doesn't as of now authenticate jerseys or balls, they are a well known brand name that is experienced handling, marking and serial-numbering memorabilia. Many might say that PSA seems a better fit for this task than an accounting firm.

I don't think anyone was under the impression that PSA/DNA was authenticating/examining NFL's items-- just helping cataloging/marking them as an independent company.

Made in Motown
04-17-2008, 03:11 PM
My guess is, as with MLB, the NFL wants a well known outside company to mark and catalog their game used items, including NFL balls. This is for appearances as much as anything. Though PSA/DNA doesn't as of now authenticate jerseys or balls, they are a well known brand name that is experienced handling, marking and serial-numbering memorabilia. Many might say that PSA seems a better fit for this task than an accounting firm.

I don't think anyone was under the impression that PSA/DNA was authenticating/examining NFL's items-- just helping cataloging/marking them as an independent company.

Thank you, that seems to make the most sense.

kingjammy24
05-02-2008, 05:44 PM
the statement about PSA/DNA overseeing mastro's jersey authentication is still up as of today, despite joe orlando confirming that PSA/DNA has absolutely nothing to do with mastro's process and requesting, a long time ago, that mastro remove that verbage.

in aug '07, doug allen wrote "I have a person on my staff who will monitor various game used forums to make sure we are more attentive to issues that arise regarding items in our auction."

looks like that person's doing a superb job.

rudy.