PDA

View Full Version : Barkley Jersey GFC - Sold

otismalibu
04-16-2008, 08:36 AM
This one simply hurts to look at. I hope someone didn't really spend $12,500 for this POS. I just had a guy send me pics of an Erving jersey that looked like it came from the same sweatshop. It was homemade as well...originally from some place in the northwest. I think the name was Sports Warehouse or something similar. I'm guessing this isn't even a Wilson jersey...just had the tags added. They're not that hard to find (see pic). Check out the lettering for SIXERS compared to the real deal. Check out the trim. I won't even get into the NOB. I sent GFC an email, but seeing I've not bought an item from them in close to a decade...

On the left front tail is the “Wilson” manufacturers tag with wash instructions and jersey size “46.” Sewn directly below is the “PEARSON” tag. Across the front is the team name “SIXERS.” Player number “34” appears on the front and back. All these numbers and letters are done in white on blue tackle twill. Player name “BARKLEY” appears across the back in white tackle twill sewn directly on the shirt. It shows game-use and appears to have no alterations of any kind.

http://www.greyflannel.com/images/4-11Barkley1.jpghttp://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/barkley1.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/76ers_tags.jpg

worldchamps
04-16-2008, 09:22 AM
I have a feeling the Gervin a while back I questioned came from this same sweat shop.

What do you think about all the Houston Rockets jerseys popping up, Grey Flannel has a ton in their for sale inventory, there has been quite a few on ebay....did someone just unload all the Rockets old inventory??? Or are they in production???

I would love to see an auction house take a stand against consignors....have you ever heard of an auction house banning a consignor??? maybe grey flannel has, who knows....but I would love to see one of the houses go after someone who sends in bogus stuff and try to shut them down.

The Game Used Industry needs its version of Operation Foul Ball

hblakewolf
04-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Greg-

Can you please elaborate on the photo of Barkley-is this from his rookie season? If so, then the jersey offered/sold by Grey Flannel has some drastic differences, including as you noted, the trim and numbers.

Can any forum reader post a photo of Barkley during his rookie season that matches the shirt offered/sold by Grey Flannel?

I find it extremely difficult to believe that such an error could happen, and the shirt in question is not as offered, based on the following information on the Grey Fannel site:"IIn 1994 GFC became the Official Appraisers and Authenticators for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame. The following are quotes from some of the industry leaders and collectors: Michael Brooslin, Curator of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame: "On behalf of the Basketball Hall of Fame, please accept my sincere thanks for the highly professional job you did with the inventory and appraisal of the museum's uniform collection. All of us here were quite impressed with the wide knowledge both of you brought to the job."

Greg, should you receive a response from the folks at Grey Flannel, possibly it will assist in providing insight as to the differences in numbers, trim, etc.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net (hblakewolf@patmedia.net)

hblakewolf
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Here is a Getty photo (#1690299, 1984) that clearly matches the photo in Greg's initial post. Note how the 4 is the same, however, diffeent than that on the Grey Flannel shirt.

Can any Forum reader post a photo of Barkley wearing a similar jersey as that offered by Grey Flannel?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

otismalibu
04-16-2008, 10:03 AM
The Sixers wore the same style Wilson home & road jerseys from 1978-79 thru 1985-86. The Barkley photo I posted would have to be from either 84-85 (rookie) or 85-86. He wore the same style Wilson both years.

Here's a photo of how the back should look.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/cb_back.jpg

gameusedhoop
04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Greg, your photo in the 1st post is from 84-85, the NBA logo (larger version) would be on an 85-86 jersey.

In your last photo (Barkley and Erving) check out where Chuck's hand is. :eek:

otismalibu
04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Greg, your photo in the 1st post is from 84-85, the NBA logo (larger version) would be on an 85-86 jersey.

The Sixers never had any NBA logos on their jerseys until 86-87, when they changed from Wilson to Sand-Knit...as far as I know.

http://www.geocities.com/otismalibu/jerseytimeline.html

In your last photo (Barkley and Erving) check out where Chuck's hand is.

New meaning to hand checking.

gameusedhoop
04-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Quote:
The Sixers never had any NBA logos on their jerseys until 86-87, when they changed from Wilson to Sand-Knit...as far as I know.

Yes, Greg, I had my years mixed up. I was doing like 4 things last night and screwed up like 3 of them, including this. At least my kid did get to sleep, that's the one that I got right.;)

otismalibu
04-17-2008, 08:20 AM
At least my kid did get to sleep, that's the one that I got right.

In honor of a former poster...

How do you know he/she got to sleep? Couldn't they have simply stayed up all night? Maybe he/she sneaked out the window and stayed at a friend's house. How do we know this is even your kid? :)

Eric
04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
That reminds me of an exchange I had with a prominent auction house member. I had questions about the facemask on a helmet listed as game used and unaltered. I had never seen a photo of the player wearing that kind of facemask.

Photos spanning the player's career showed one kind of facemask. I stated my concern by offering links to archival images, trading cards etc.

I won't mention the person's name, to save them the embarrassment. The response: "Have you seen every photo of (player's name) in existence?"

I wrote back- no, but you must have seen one of the player wearing this facemask if you're going to call it authentic. I'd love to see the photo.

You know what, I never saw that photo and they sold the helmet anyway.

gameusedhoop
04-17-2008, 01:02 PM
How do you know he/she got to sleep? Couldn't they have simply stayed up all night? Maybe he/she sneaked out the window and stayed at a friend's house. How do we know this is even your kid? :)

He was definately asleep, in the same room with me until Mommie came home. Also very hard to sneak out a 2nd floor window 20 feet up at 8 years old. As far as being my kid, he is turning into a mini me each day both in likes and looks (feel sorry for him). You should see him with a new hockey gamer, pointing out the holes, stitch pops, stick marks etc. He is a keeper, the wife on the other hand....:rolleyes:

otismalibu
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
He is a keeper, the wife on the other hand....

Don't worry, the For Sale section will be back in a few weeks :D

gameusedhoop
04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
He is a keeper, the wife on the other hand....Don't worry, the For Sale section will be back in a few weeks :D
For Sale? I am worried about having to pay a disposal fee.:D

beantown
04-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Another Barkley jersey...where do these come from?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILADELPHIA-76ERS-SANDKNIT-GAME-JERSEY-CHARLES-BARKLEY_W0QQitemZ250235517784QQihZ015QQcategoryZ50 135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

otismalibu
04-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Don't forget this one. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHARLES-BARKLEY-86-87-76ERS-GAME-JERSEY-JORDAN-AROD-34_W0QQitemZ220224273940QQihZ012QQcategoryZ50135QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem