PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rickey Henderson A's Jersey

weimerskirch
02-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Team,

This last week I was looking through a collection and noticed this gold 1983 Rickey Henderson Rawlings jersey. It is tagged "1983" and "Set 1". I have not run across this type of A's jersey in the past. I have checked Getty Images, Bill Henderson's knit guide and most of my A's photos, cards, and programs, but to no avail. All of the A's gold 1983 jerseys that I have owned or seen have the block "OAKLAND" across the front and not the script "A's". What also struck me about the jersey was the tall numbers on the "HENDERSON". They were roughly 4" inches tall and very thin. The jersey was also autograped on the front. Could this possibly be a 1983 batting practice jersey?? I could use any and all assistance on this jersey. Thanks for reading and I appreciate coming to this forum to get great information.

Mark Weimerskirch

kingjammy24
02-26-2006, 02:42 AM
Mark,

I wonder if you may be approaching this from the wrong angle. Ignore the set tagging as well as the name and numbering. Start with just the jersey itself.

Can you post a pic of the sleeves (sleeve trim)? I don't think it's possible to analyze this jersey without seeing the sleeve trim. I have a feeling it may prove to be very helpful.

Rudy.

weimerskirch
02-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Rudy,

Sorry about not having the sleeves in the photo. Unfortuneatly I am not on the east coast to shoot additional photos. I can tell you thought that the sleeves were a three stripe green/gold/green which is consistent with the other 1983 A's jerseys that have "OAKLAND" across the front.

I hope this helps.

Mark

kingjammy24
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Mark,

Let's ignore the lettering and numbering on the back for a minute and start by simply trying to date the jersey itself. (The name and number on the back may just convolute this process because they may very well have been added after the fact by someone other than the A's).

The Rawlings tag on the jersey is from 1973-1984. Throughout most of this time period, McAuliffe was the manufacturer for Oakland's jerseys. Rawlings came in some time during the early 80's.

My first guess: Could this be a 1983-84 BP jersey? Page 90 of Bill Henderson's guide, the 2nd variation. The thing is, I'm unsure if Rawlings made these jerseys and I'm also unsure if the material for these jerseys (mesh?) is the same as the jersey in your photos.

Second guess: a 1986-92 BP jersey. Page 103 of Henderson's guide. With a circa 1973-84 Rawlings tag "sewn after the fact"?

Third guess: If the early 80's BP jerseys were not made by Rawlings, then perhaps this is an early 80's salesman sample/prototype submitted by Rawlings in hopes of scoring a contract to provide the BP jerseys?

Rudy.

kingjammy24
02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Mark,

I forgot to add that I searched extensively, across the 70's and 80's, through numerous sources and could not find a jersey like this at all.

Rudy.

weimerskirch
02-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Rudy,

Thanks for your assistance on this jersey. I too, must have looked at hundreds of jerseys and could not find one. I sort of remember this jersey as a batting practice jersey in the early 80's, but I just cannot place it. I am going to go right to the source and contact Steve Vucinich, the Oakland A's equipment manager.

Thanks again,

Mark

baltos
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I am pretty sure is is a 1983-85 BP jersey. They had Rawlings flag tags.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/baltos/Asyellowbp198x58.jpg

weimerskirch
02-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Baltos,

Thanks for the photo. Do you happen to have a photo of the back of the jersey??

Thanks,

Mark

baltos
02-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Mark:

I do not have a photo of the back of that one. I do know that A's BP jerseys from that period had no names on back. The A's also had minor league affiliates at the time which were named the A's also, so it is possible that someone got their hands on a #24 and added "Henderson" after the fact. What kind of provenance does the jersey have?

Owen