PDA

View Full Version : Got to meet David Ortiz this weekend!

Tedw9
04-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Late Friday night I got an email from Signings Hotline about a show outside of Boston on Sunday. David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Jim Rice, Fred Lynn, Dwight Evans, Bill Lee and Dick Williams were all to be there. My awesome wife knew how badly I wanted to go, so she gave me her blessing and sent me on my way. I had to drive almost 6 hours and I was sick with a cold, but still had a blast. I was able to get my David Ortiz game used bat signed, which is something I thought I would never be able to do. I know some don't like their game used items signed, but I think this looks great.

PMI was there with some incredible Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell game used items. I chatted with the guy (owner?) a bit, real nice guy. And I mentioned this forum to everyone I talked to.

I don't know if I was the only forum member there or not, but I would like to hear from anyone else who was at the Sure Shot Promotions signing in Brockton, MA. this weekend. Here are a couple of pics of Papi and my newly signed bat. Thanks for reading. :)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/Tedw9/papi1.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/Tedw9/papi2.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/Tedw9/auto1.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/Tedw9/auto2.jpg

kellsox
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I had heard about it but didn't want to pay the $ for Ortiz or Lowell. I know the show was planned months ago but it doesn't make Ortiz look good when he's at a signing for a couple hours during the day but needs a game off that night to clear his head.
kelly

harpt
04-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Congratulations on meeting some of your favorites and getting your bat signed. It looks great!

gameused
04-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice bat with a great looking Ortiz signature. Do you mind if I ask what Ortiz or Lowell charged and could you have paid for an inscription, like "Big Papi" or "game used"?

One thing about Ortiz is that he puts his fans first, he committed to the signing probably weeks in advance and yes he's in a bit of a slump, but it's great to see that he will still come out and sign, irregardless if he got the night off from a game.

Bobby

mwbosoxfan
04-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Very nice bat and it looks nice signed. That's really awesome for you, especially since you yourself said you had a good time (despite being sick). That's what makes it worth the price of admission. Furthermore, it looks like you got some great pictures to remember the day. Congrats!

Tedw9
04-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. It was a great time despite my being sick. And there were a lot of very friendly people there to pass the time talking with while waiting for my number to be called. This was my first trip to a show like this, we just don't have anything like this up here in Maine.

Gameused, Mike Lowell was $99 flats and balls, $149 premium items and $35 inscriptions. Papi was $149 flats and balls, $199 premium items and $75 inscriptions. I thought about getting an inscription, but I had already spent about $400 on the trip and I am also trying to save for Fanfest in NY this July. I was just thrilled at the chance to get my bat signed.

scottanservitz
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Ted,
For what it's worth, I like my bats signed and I think it looks sweet on yours. Getting it in person makes it even better. Good for you and congrats on a great memory.

Scott

TFig27
04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Did he say anything about the bat?

suave1477
04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
TEDW9 I was there too at the same time. I got a chance to meet with Papi and Lowell both were nice especially Lowell super cool to talk too.

Lowell signed and Ortiz signed for me.

I have Lowells Rookie Game Used Yankees Jersey he even said let me see if this is mine, looked at it up and down, looked at the number on the back, looked at the size tags and said Yep this is definitely mine.

I was happy!!!

Tedw9
04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
TFig27, when I handed over the bat, he said something along the lines of, "Wow, that got some hits!" A few of the other bats I saw there looked like they were right out of the rack. One gentelman showed me his g/u bat that had been authenticated and it looked hardly used. Only one other bat had ball marks on it that I saw.

suave1477, I wished I had the chance to meet you to at least say hello. I probably walked by you while waiting to be called. I had number 155, so I had to wait awhile. I spent a good hour out by the front door sitting in one of the chairs waiting for the signings to start.

I agree that Papi was friendly to everyone. I didn't get to see Mike Lowell, I kinda wish I had the chance. Nice score on the jersey! It does not get any better than having the player tell you that the item was theirs. That's awesome, that alone was worth what you paid that day.

Did you see Mike Lowell's "twin" walking around there? I had to do a double take when he walked by!

suave1477
04-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Tedw9 its funny you asked that about Lowells twin. Is that really his twin because I looked at him too and did a double take he was a spitting image of Lowell. I was saying to myself if I was this guy I would walk around telling women I was Mike Lowell lol lol:D

You probably did see me and didnt even realize it I was probably the most noticable guy in there.
I was the only one wearing a Yankees Jacket and Yankees cap and I did it on purpose to piss of the people there lol lol:D

For members here reading this and dont know this was a Red Sox autograph signing.

Yeah I caught some slack from people but I loved it, one lady kept coming up to me saying you do know this is a Red Sox signing lol lol then she walked up to me and said you do know we won 2 championships
I had a mouthful for her but I won't repeat it here lol lol It was all in good fun though.

indyred
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Great pictures. That Ortiz bat looks awesome. Was PMI moving much stuff. What kind of prices did they have on stuff. Did they have a bunch of Lowell game used bats?

suave1477
04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Indyred PMI was there with all the same stuff they have listed on ebay, basically all same prices. I think 1 or 2 things sold but didnt look like much sold and they had a few bats, they seemed to be a bit over priced but I guess if your a Red Sox fan it would be worth it.

It was mostly Lowell and Beckett Game Used items and Autographed pictures and Autographed Memorabilia.

Tedw9
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Indyred, I was standing there when someone asked about prices on the bats. He had probably 10 or so out at the time and he said they ranged from $200 on up. I was tempted to ask what bat was $200, but I thought my wife would shoot me if I came home with another bat. :D

Suave1477, wow, I think I remember you! There were only a couple of people in Yanks items, I think I know exactly who you are. Young guy, kinda tall? I must admit, I gave you the hairy eyeball with all that Yanks gear on. ;) Some guy I was talking with while waiting was getting a Derek Jeter model bat signed! :eek: Why, I don't know, I didn't ask.

suave1477
04-16-2008, 04:20 PM
TEDW9 Yep that was me lol lol:p

Funny enough I don't know if you were outside with that guy or inside but I saw that and was baffled yes baffled by that. I even asked him to make sure I wasn't seeing things and asked him "What kind of bat is that your having signed?" He replied " A Derek Jeter model, im gonna have David Ortiz sign it"

At that point I replied in my own head " Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkk":confused:

But then it hit me, he's a Red Sox fan lol lol only a Red Sox fan would come up with something like that lol lol lol:D

Probably Red Sox fan but deep down inside all Red Sox Fans want to be Yankee fans so this was part of his way crossing over having a Red Sox player whos names starts with "D" sign a Yankees player ,model bat with the name starting with a "D" lmaooooooooooo:D
Im sorry man I couldnt resist lol lol

Tedw9
04-16-2008, 05:22 PM
You sound just like my Yankee loving friend from work! He keeps trying to get me to join the dark side, he says that all Sox fans want to be Yankee fans. I think my Dad would disown me if I rooted for the Yanks! :D I'm ashamed to say my 15 year old daughter is a Yanks fan. I can't figure out how I went so wrong. :(

Now that guy with the Jeter bat...I was talking to him inside right before I went to get my bat signed. I'm sorry, but if I'm gonna drop $200 on an Ortiz sig, I would have at least spent the extra money to buy either a blank bat or an Ortiz model. I wonder what Papi said to him when he handed it over?

Maybe he wanted to class it up by having a real player sign it. :p