PDA

View Full Version : Mets 1990 Greg Jefferies Question

hblakewolf
04-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Current offering on Ebay, "1990 Greg Jeffereis game worn home jersey".

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-Mets-1990-Gregg-Jefferies-game-used-jersey_W0QQitemZ230240089566QQihZ013QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know we have had previous posts on this site about Greg Jeffereies 1990 home jerseys, with the belief that many are Scoreboard shirts, and never worn. An excellent post discussed this:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=4321&highlight=greg+jefferies+1990

Can an experienced Mets jersey collector (TNT?) or others familiar with the Scoreboard jerseys possibly comment on the current Ebay offering? How can one determine that this shirt on Ebay is indeed a game worn Jeffereis as opposed to a Scoreboard that was never worn?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

TNTtoys
04-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Howard,

It's been my experience that there is no differentiation between the Scoreboard shirts and the real ones, even down to the Rawlings team tagging. They were made identical to the real ones. If you want to feel somewhat safer, you probably want one with some use, as the Scoreboards out there are generally clean and devoid of any wear. Also beware that some "collectors" have been known to wear their jerseys, so what you might see may not be "player wear" at all. I remember one Scoreboard Jefferies appearing a couple of years back with sweat stains under the armpits. Pleasant! ;-)
It's just one of those things where the informed collectors need to know what's out there and be very, very dubious of 1990 Gregg Jefferies jerseys. To a point that they need to assume Scoreboard until proof otherwise. I alone have seen no less than a dozen 1990 Jefferies home jerseys in the past year or two, and probably upwards of around 2 dozen of them since I started collecting. Possibly some of the same ones being passed from hand to hand, but so many and appearing from so many different sellers that one has to wonder just how many of them are actually out there.
I said in my earlier thread that I bought one a long time ago, not knowing much about game worn jerseys at the time. I was more of an authentic jersey collector, with many Mets authentics and M&Ns throughout the years. I thought that it would be a nice piece to add to the collection at a price of about $80 to $90, as it is cheaper than an authentic and made substantially better... and even back then, with almost no knowledge, I thought that the deal would be too good to be true. I truly feel sorry for the poor shmo that is paying $147 (current bid) or whatever the jersey on ebay finishes at. The jersey is probably a Scoreboard due to the law of probability, and likely has no use (coincidental poor pictures to boot). The Grey Flannel letter is also being used to sell the item, which is also a problem... as soon as the jersey gets thru the authentication process of 1 major auction house, it manages to become "more credible" to the unsuspecting collector. Also, the fact that the seller has "hundreds of other items for sale" gives the buyer the comfort of knowing that he is buying from a credible source (we all went through that argument before here too).
My final assessment - unless the jersey itself bears some pretty distinguishing characteristics of game wear that one can truly attribute to this player, assume Scoreboard & stay away.

Nick