PDA

View Full Version : Montana 90's GU Jersey

mvandor
04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350046211749&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022

Comments? LOA is pretty hard to read...

http://www.sportsworld-usa.com/larry/april-2008/montana2.jpg

lund6771
04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
the jersey is a dime a dozen...there has to be a 1,000 of them out there

I've never seen the niners write the # on the wilson tag..not saying it couldn't have, but never seen it...

i guess it comes back to the same arguement that keeps going around and around...at the least, this definitely wasn't a STANDARD practice for the niners and Joe...could the writing have happened on one?...I suppose that anything is possible, but I CANT STAND IT when dealers use that excuse for defending their fake jersey

mvandor
04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Was going to say as I've seen a few on ebay with the same tag...

helmets
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
I guess I am confused as to why the number would be written on a tag of a jersey, when the number is right there on the jersey for all to see.

Numbers are written on other pieces of equipment to identify who it belongs to for equipment managers, down to the clubhouse boy who cleans the mud out of the cleats. Football helmets, shoulder pads, baseball hats, shoes and cleats, socks, gloves, etc.

Perhaps someone has a good reason why it is done on the tag of a jersey. Please educate me...

lund6771
04-10-2008, 01:54 PM
in the mid 80's the Lakers had an embroidered # on a swatch next to the size tag in the tail...

From what I've heard, some equipment managers like the number there... when the jerseys come out of duffle bags folded, they don't need to open each jersey up to see who's it is when getting them laid out for players...easier organizing I guess

helmets
04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I knew there had to be a reason!

mvandor
04-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Hmm, Heritage has one without the NFL shield but with the same tag/size. Description claims jersey shows little use "as typical for the Niners during that era" and refers to jerseys being worn for only one game.

Sounds off to me.

mvandor
04-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Anyone shed any light on the LOA? The guy is now with MEARS I understand...

G1X
04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
lund6771,

I have no comment on the Montana jersey, but yes, just about anything is possible when it comes to football jerseys. I understand why you "CAN'T STAND IT" when dealers use that excuse to defend a jersey, especially if they are being dishonest, but some are being truthful when they make that claim.

Having made a number of buys directly from professional football teams over the past 33 years and having visited a few locker rooms over that period, all I can say is that many collectors would be truly amazed at what comes out of the locker room. Simply put, there are some weird things that can be hard to explain. I have passed on quirky items in a team bulk-buy that would be hard to explain to a customer, or else ended up not offering it for sale if it is too "strange" to explain and/or can't find any evidence that it was ever used.

I'm not making excuses for anyone - especially if the item is bogus - I'm just making a point that football jersey collecting probably has more "exceptions to the rules" than any other sport. Unfortunately, some who might be less than honest know this and will use it to their advantage.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Marichal27
04-15-2008, 05:16 PM
The seller is half correct. It's autographed. Montana would sign unsewn 1's, then someone would sew it on the jersey. Way back when, didn't SCD advertise these??

mvandor
04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Sold for $1,585.00 - either a real steal or just plain old theft.

loumud
04-16-2008, 06:52 PM
I know a lot of collectors don't care about LOAs, but this has got to be one of the cheesiest ones I have ever seen! I would be embarrassed to include something like this in any game used auction with an item I was representing as game used. :confused:

mvandor
04-16-2008, 07:53 PM
As Dave M., the issuer of that LOA, is now with the respected Mears, I emailed them asking if he'd still confirm that jersey as game used. Did not get a reply.