PDA

View Full Version : larry bird jersey

mfsquirrelmaster
04-09-2008, 07:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250234829337&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Any problems with this jersey i'm not seeing?

33bird
04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Here's my 2 cents:
They've had that same jersey on ebay buy it now for years for over 7k. I used to have that same year jersey but sold it after doing extensive photo searches from the 1987-88 season. I have many photos and a few home games on dvd from that season of Bird. Here's what I found that was different from my jersey and from this jersey: The spacing on the front of the jersey between the Celtics name and the tops of the number of 33 is too close together(See SI photo from March 1988). The NBA logo is too far down on the shoulder-should be higher up (see same SI photo). On the back of the jersey the Bird name is too close to the top of the jersey (see other photo)-On the games I have there is a lot more space from the top of the BIRD name to the top of the jersey. That being said, on the otherhand, it all looks good. Right size-right tagging-correct material, etc. BUT, if I'm gonna spend 5k+ on a jersey then I want one that matches up in all areas. In my eyes that jersey has 3 strikes against it, so I wouldn't touch it. Hope that helps.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

mvandor
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
This hobby is becoming a "Where's Waldo?" exercise with buyers looking for discrepancies under a microscope. I only caught the logo, so I lose. :(

suave1477
04-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Correct me if im wrong and im not an expert on basketball or the Celtics but from when I was younger from time to time I would watch a Celtics game to watch Larry Bird.

So with that being said and I think the SI pictures are gonna prove my point.

The 2 color greens are different you can say well maybe it was the lighting for the ebay seller???
I always remember the color for the celtics being a forrest green / darker green (Which you can see it is in the SI pictures) The ebay sellers Jersey shows its an emerald green.
Again you can say its the lighting or the sellers camera but even with those reasons thats a huge color difference.

Its more then just a shade off is a color green off.

33bird
04-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I agree, though the lighting sometimes can affect the color tone.
Greg

otismalibu
04-10-2008, 01:41 PM
the lighting sometimes can affect the color tone.

Agreed.

I've seen Rudy post pics of the same jersey from two different sets of auction photos and the colors don't even look close.

I don't think there's much doubt that it's an actual Celts game (worn or issued) jersey, is there?

33bird
04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Actually, who knows. I would lean towards game issued-maybe. I'd stay away.
Greg