PDA

View Full Version : Question for Aeneas01

Vintagedeputy
04-09-2008, 08:39 AM
This is the 2007 Kevin Boss, Giants facemask that I bought a few months ago. I believe that the model is CJJ if I'm reading it correctly. Do you have any neat info on this that may be interesting? Is it possible to date these at all?

Thanks
Jim

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6595/bossmaskhx7.png

helmets
04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Just looking at the shade of the color of the gray, and the humidty present in the air at that time of year when dipping, I would have to guess that it comes from around March of 2000.

Just guessing...

Vintagedeputy
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Just looking at the shade of the color of the gray, and the humidty present in the air at that time of year when dipping, I would have to guess that it comes from around March of 2000.

Just guessing...

I assume that you are joking? Its a 2007 game used facemask, would a mask be sitting around unused for 7 years? I'm confused.:confused:

mvandor
04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I assume that you are joking? Its a 2007 game used facemask, would a mask be sitting around unused for 7 years? I'm confused.:confused:
He's jesting I'm sure. But did you look for print on the mask, there's usually some and a date code would be found there I believe.

Vintagedeputy
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
There's Schutt, CJJ (model?) and a warning label...I dont see a date but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

aeneas01
04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
There's Schutt, CJJ (model?) and a warning label...I dont see a date but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

actually helmets wasn't joking, he was just being a little sarcastic as far as i can tell, given that he didn't pull the date out out of thin air. cjj is a julian date code: c=3=march and j=10=00, i.e., 3-00 or march 2000...

helmets
04-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, sorry. The shade of gray is just fine...

The model is an EGOP, and the letters that you see on the inside, is indeed the date code of the mask.

It is a bit strange that they would be selling a mask with a date code of 2000 as a 2007 game used mask, but they aren't banking on someone knowing that info. If they don't sell them that way, how else do they get rid of them other than a tent sale or donate to a local school.

Just a means for an EM to clean out some old stock.

Vintagedeputy
04-09-2008, 04:41 PM
EM?

I bought this 2 months ago directly from the Giants (COA included). Do you think that it is not what it claims to be or that they had a mask in the Giants equipment inventory for that long?

I've style matched it to the type of face mask that Boss used in 2007.

helmets
04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
EM=Equipment Mgr.

Yes, it is a very popular style. Perhaps even Tiki wore it prior to switching to his ROPO-DW.

Yes, they probably have masks in their inventory that are even older. Really how old a mask is doesn't have a lot to do with how long they keep it - within reason. The condition that the mask is in has more bearing on getting rid of it or not. An equipment manager does not look at the date code when installing a mask to a helmet, they are more concerned with the model and condition of the mask. The Packers still have JOP-SW's in their inventory (Marino Style) that they ordered for Jim McMahon.

Vintagedeputy
04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Very interesting.....thank you