PDA

View Full Version : Steiner/Yankee bat question

Swoboda4
04-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Does anyone own a Steiner Yankee game used bat that does not have a uniform number written on either the top or the knob of the bat? There are some of these bats that I am looking into and although they have a 4 number Steiner sticker on the knob,do not have the uniform number written in marker that most G/U bats,that have been in the dugout bat rack, contain. So,does anyone have a Steiner G/U bat without a uniform number that they feel comfortable with as being game used?
http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-18002656.jpg?size=67&uid={2cb7be1a-6485-4114-b07e-be31bfe430ea}

BULBUS
04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Most of the Yankees/Steiner bats from the Yankees that I have/had do NOT have the numbers written on the knobs. The star players like Jeter and Posada never write their numbers on their bats. Giambi sometime does and so do the "common" players.

suave1477
04-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Swoboda it is very common for players not to write there number on the knob just as it is common for players too do it.

It has nothing to do with Steiner its just a personal players preference if he himself or even sometimes the equipment manager puts the numbers on the knobs.

If a players bat is hammered with use and has all the charecteristics of that players use, ar eyou gonna turn around and say it was never used because it doesn't have his number on the knob.

Also remember even for players who normally put there numbers on knobs are human too and may forget to put there number there or may just be lazy and not want to number his bat.

So this is not a Steiner related thing as much as it would be just an individual player thing.

Swoboda4
04-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Bulbus. The bats I'm considering are common players with Steiner certs with no uniform # marker displayed on knob or top. Has anyone ever acquired a Steiner G/U bat and it was revealed later not to be game used? Does anyone know the process of how Steiner gets the bats in their hands? Steiner rep at stadium?

suave1477
04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Swoboda I have several game used bats from Steiner with no number on the knob. Remember the players your speaking of are these players commonly known for putting there numbers on the knob?

Which players are they?

I do not know specifically the process for getting the bats but I do believe it is something in the nature of.
There is a Yankees equipment guy who provieds the items to a Steiner rep at the stadium which then is brought to the Steiner facility. The information on each item is usually given to Steiner by the Yankees personnel on a general basis unless it is a significant item that is specially looked for by Steiner.
Do not qoute me on this just an educated guess

Swoboda4
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Suave thanks. I wrote a follow-up to Bulbus before I saw your initial reply. I'm thinking of the Mark Whiten Yankee bat on ebay. I contacted the seller who said it came from Steiner with just a sticker on the bottom knob.

BULBUS
04-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Is it a Steiner hologram on the knob, or is it a sticker/tape with a number on it? Everything that leaves Yankee Stadium gets an inventory numer. Sometimes Steiner leaves them on, sometimes they take them off. If it is the inventory sticker/tape, it should come right off and then maybe there will be a number under there. I forget the player, but this happened to me before.

GameBats
04-09-2008, 06:10 PM
For the record....Jorge Posada has at times placed his #20 on the knob of his bats.

TFig27
04-09-2008, 08:13 PM
If it helps, I have a Steiner Whiten with his number on the bottom.

Tom

BULBUS
04-10-2008, 07:40 AM
For the record....Jorge Posada has at times placed his #20 on the knob of his bats.

Not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen a legit Posada with a "20" on the knob. I have seen Posada bats that have none of his charachteristics with 20 written on the knob.

Vintagedeputy
04-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen a legit Posada with a "20" on the knob. I have seen Posada bats that have none of his charachteristics with 20 written on the knob.

ditto

suave1477
04-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Ill agree I have never seen Posada write "20" on his bats.

Swoboda for the record I have 2 Yankees Mark Whiten Game Used bats neither one of them have his number written on the bottom and one of them came from Mark Whiten directly.

GameBats
04-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Here is one example. I would estimate that 25% of Posada early gamers have his # on them. Believe me I have handled quite a few.

Hopefully the photos will load. I am having trouble sizing the photos

metsbats
04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I agree with gamebats on the earlier Posada bats. I owned a Posada rookie year bat with block letter name mis-spelled "JORGE POSADO", taped handle with no. 20 written on the knob.

David

Vintagedeputy
04-10-2008, 09:35 PM
I stand corrected. Very neat!

It would seem that Posada has had that signature tape job for quite a while too.

Jim