PDA

View Full Version : AMI Todd Lyght Rams Helmet (1993)

dcgreg25
04-08-2008, 09:12 PM
It is well documented that the people in this forum know helmets and I am considering buying one from AMI. I am considering bidding on the helmet and would like some opinions from the experts. I did some brief research on Getty and the helmet seems to match in style at least to the one he wore that year.

Can anybody offer any additional insight? I am very wary of helmets without direct provenance and would appreciate any and all insight.

The link to the auction is:
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=42782

Thanks in advance for your help!

aeneas01
04-08-2008, 10:09 PM
1. i would contact ami and ask them if they would provide you with the helmet date code that is heat stamped on the inside of the helmet, below the left or right earhole - ami might have to remove the jaw pads. this info will tell you quite a bit.

2. it looks like a medium shell to me - you should confirm this. very few pros wore medium schutt shells given that they are absolutely tiny, even with thin sizers. if it is a medium shell i would be very skeptical.

3. unlike current rams' helmets, rams' helmets from the 90s era are very easy to duplicate - something to keep in mind.

4. many, many rams schutt helmets from this era seem to hit the market - a slater, doss and greene most recently.

5. the "41 lyght" dmo tape looks pretty spankin' new to me as well.

6. below is a wire photo of lyght from 1993 - note the chinstrap snap and the horn decal that has been cut away to accommodate it on the lid for sale? not present in the photo. but keep in mind that photos are not always dated correctly..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/tl0.jpg

RKGIBSON
04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
That is a '93 picture. The Russell "R" logo on the sleeve indicates that. '93 was the first year for the big "R" and it was located below the number on the sleeve. In '94 it move above the number.

Roger

aeneas01
04-10-2008, 02:15 AM
That is a '93 picture. The Russell "R" logo on the sleeve indicates that. '93 was the first year for the big "R" and it was located below the number on the sleeve. In '94 it move above the number.

Roger

interesting roger - needless to say that's not a plus for the helmet in question....

mvandor
04-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Can someone explain to me why anyone would create a copy or misrepresent a helmet for a marginal player like TL? He's not exactly knocking on Canton's door.

helmets
04-10-2008, 09:55 AM
One reason...
Generically without regards to this helmet...

A helmet is obtained worn by a training camp or preseason player. It has no identifiers, not much game use, nor real value. Let's say $150-200. If the helmet can be style matched to a steady everyday player, one that lasted 12 years in the NFL and had 37 career int's; and then a dymo tape slapped inside of it, it can increase the value of said helmet by $200-$500 or more. By not saying that it was HOF'er helmet it avoids the people questioning the helmet and finding the inconsistencies.

Most teams set up their helmets in much the same manner for the same positional players. In the case of this helmet, without documentation, we are assuming it is a TL helmet because that is what is told to us, and that is what we see in the photo. We really have no other option. It could have been 30 people's helmet. Likewise, one could take a Ruvell Martin helmet, slap a #80 or a Driver dymo in the inside, and we would have to assume that it is a Donald Driver helmet. The majority of the helmets or any game used item for that matter that are purchased, that are not 100% photo matched and have no documentation, are purchased through trust. If you have no trust in the auction house on an undocumented piece, it is best to save your money.

dcgreg25
04-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Well said helmets!

Thats exactly what I am going to do- save my money and spend it with an auction I trust....GUU. This is truly an invaluable site and one of the few places I have much trust in. Thanks for everyone's input.

aeneas01
04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
take a peek at the "ellard" lid ami also has listed - ellard never wore a helmet fitted with high-point chinstrap snaps. not with the rams, not with the skins....