PDA

View Full Version : Why would a player write an "X"...

Mark07
04-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Any idea why a player would write an X on the bottom of a bat? The bat is broken and "game used."

Thanks a lot for any help....

orioles03
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
delgado does that to his bp bats so someone can tell what bats he use during the game

bigtruck260
04-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I have an Edgar Renteria bat that has the bat specifics and an X on the knob. I used to think it might be a BP bat until I came across several photos of him using the model I have in a game - the X is clearly visible on the knob in the photo.

I wonder if it is a variation on length/weight and it is just easier to see the "X" in a hurry.

Dave

I am attatching a photo of my bat knob.

camarokids
04-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I have heard (read) about players marking the end of a knob if they hit a HR or a triple , double , etc ????

The Carl Crawford X-BAT I just got has two straight lines marked on the end....

Will post pics later....

brianborsch
12-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Sorry to catch this so late, but it really depends on the team and the player. I know that the Detroit Tigers will put an X on the knobs of each game bat for their players. You can see various pics of Magglio is a game with a bat with an x marked under the knob. The same can be said for other Tigers players. I am sure other teams/player follow this as well.

tigerdale
12-03-2008, 10:17 AM
the 'X' is a weight symbol. The tigers started this years ago. That would be a 31.5 ounce. It's actually a 1 w/ a line drawn thru it. An example would be a 33 ounce would be '111' (three lines), a 32.5 ounce would be 2 lines w/ one line drawn thru them...hope this helps.