PDA

View Full Version : Overpaying for your Holy Grail?

Mark07
04-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I've been looking for a particular game-used bat for a couple of years... not exactly my Holy Grail, but close. The bat is being offered by the "exclusive dealer" to a player. I estimate I'd be paying about $400 more than I'd likely ever get back. What do you think about overpaying for your (near) Holy Grail?

Thanks.

bigtruck260
04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Very good question.

If it is something that I think may not come around again - certainly.

brianborsch
04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I just bought something that I sold in the past but regretted it after. I ended up paying almost twice what I sold it for to get it back. I shouldn't have sold it to begin with!

If you know it may not come around again, for $400 I would say to do it.

Eric
04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
If it's your holy grail, it's not necessarily about the value of the item. It's about the value to you. Would you rather overpay and have it in your collection, or let it go and know that someone else has it.

This is a right situation to overpay if it means that much to you. Also, chances are, if it's your holy grail, you're not buying it to re-sell, you're buying it to keep. So it comes back to- "The value of the item, is the value you put on it."

I haven't had my coffee yet, so I'm not sure if that even makes sense...
Eric

Birdbats
04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Collect what makes you happy. If you're willing to buy the item at the dealer's cost, what difference does it make if nobody else on Earth would spend that much? Unless you're investing to resell at a profit, buy what you like at the cost you're willing to pay. On the other hand, if you've been looking at the bat for a couple of years, it sounds like you're not that willing. That's fine, too.

I've overpaid for bats that filled holes in my collection. Just last night, I spent $158.50 on a Steve Kline bat. The bat is worth nowhere near that price, but he was a short reliever on the 2004 Cardinals -- tough bat on a team I collect. So, I overpaid. Financially, it was a dumb move. But, it's only the second Kline bat I've ever seen.

Neely8
04-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I recently bought a Rams jersey that I have been seeking for awhile in the most recent American Memorabilia auction and I'm quite sure I overpaid. It is a jersey with great wear from an important season worn by an important player from that season so I had no idea when another might ever come around again.

ahuff
04-08-2008, 09:18 AM
It seems like everyone, that has posted thus far, agrees. I'm with them. I've overpaid for a few items, in similar situations. But my grandpa always said, "The value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it". In your situation it is probably worth it, because the dealer knows that someone, like you, is out there. It just so happens that you are the guy willing to pay the most. Nothing wrong with that.

There are two jerseys floating around, that I didn't pull the trigger on quick enough. Despite all of the other awesome stuff I've been able to get, those still haunt me. If it is something you love, snap it up!!!

zonker
04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
i think if your lucky enough to get a chance at your "holy grail" as long as you can afford it and will really treasure it and maybe even pass it down. what does it matter. 400 buck's over a period of time will seem very small. why would even worry about the resale value of it, unless maybe it's not such a "holy grail" ? i kick my self every day for passing on or not having the money for item's i missed out on. that really blow's, then again i also have thing's i would never resale that i bought and don't really consider to be mine as they were meant to be passed down to my daughter, just so she will alway's remember what i liked and what i wanted her to have from me. none of these are even close to my "holy grail" if i ever get the chance and all that stand's between me and my "holy grail" is 400. it's just 400! i'd pay that just for the chance! not that i'm saying i like to over spend for item's. i ask how often do you get a chance to actually own your holy grail? just my opion.

joelsabi
04-08-2008, 10:55 AM
if you know your holy grail may also be someone elses holy grail, then i don't hesitate and buy it. if no one else would dare to buy at the sellers price then be patient and offer a little over market value. no sense in overpaying. if the seller still has it in 6 months, then offer a little less. to me a holy grail is something that not only i would think is a holy grail so second option would not apply. there must be something in your collection that someone wants beside you. that would be the holy grail.

beavisrules
04-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I have definitely overpaid before on hard to find items - and would do it again if I had to. There are several items I have missed out on in the past that I thought went for more than their "value" - the problem is their "value" was much more to me than I originally realized, and now I wished I had bid higher to get them.

jboosted92
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Collect what makes you happy. If you're willing to buy the item at the dealer's cost, what difference does it make if nobody else on Earth would spend that much? Unless you're investing to resell at a profit, buy what you like at the cost you're willing to pay. On the other hand, if you've been looking at the bat for a couple of years, it sounds like you're not that willing. That's fine, too.

I've overpaid for bats that filled holes in my collection. Just last night, I spent $158.50 on a Steve Kline bat. The bat is worth nowhere near that price, but he was a short reliever on the 2004 Cardinals -- tough bat on a team I collect. So, I overpaid. Financially, it was a dumb move. But, it's only the second Kline bat I've ever seen.

in My opinoin, BirdBats made a good purchase. If and when he decides to sell his 2004 NL champs Bat set, the fact he has rare commons, helps the value.

I know im going back in time, but look at the value of 1919 sox bat commons, 1927 yankee player commons.

I think they same can be said for good teams. At one point i was collecting the 2004 Red Sox bats, i had about 13 of them. I know if i had 19 to 20, I would be able to sell them at a lofty amount, off-setting the higher purchase price for a "dave roberts" type bat

just my 2 cents

AWA85
04-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I agree with all the points that have been made. What I have learned as a collector it is about what makes you happy in your collection. Price is a big part about it, but collecting is all about enjoying what you have and making yourself happy. If this is a big item to your collection, I think you have to go for it!

geoff
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
I also overpaid for a Bat that was my holy grail at one point in time.I still love the bat but everytime I look at it and say why did I over pay for the bat.

earlywynnfan
04-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I must be the only one puzzled: How "rare" is this bat? How do you know you'd be paying $400 more than you'd ever get -- where do you get your comp prices?

Also, you say that it's for sale by a dealer with an exclusive to this player; that leads me to believe it's a current player. If so, perhaps you might want to show some patience; there's very little out there in current players that won't be available again.

I'd ask you to tell us who the player is, but then you might run the risk of someone here swooping in and buying it first, but if you want to tell us, maybe we can help with clearer advice.

Just my 2 cents, and as an FYI, my 2 cents usually kills off a thread.

Ken

helmets
04-08-2008, 04:31 PM
There has been many nights that I have tried to sleep while thinking that I should have pulled the trigger on something and didn't or bid a bit higher. I didn't buy the item, didn't bid high enough, or didn't have the balls. The item(s) were gone, and some of them I haven't seen or had the opportunity to get since. I made a promise to myself some time ago, that if I ever wanted something again, and it was within reach of my budget, and made sense, to get it.

So there I was, on ebay last night, looking at 4 season Packer tickets. Perfect buy. Green package. Low price. Buy it now - 3500.00 for Seven games. 28 tickets total. Lower bowl. On the aisle. Includes Monday night opener against Minnesota. I called a buddy in Wisconsin. "How 'bout going in half?" His response, "...let me ask my wife and I'll call you in the morning." The next two hours I wanted to buy them. I resisted. At about 10:00, I checked prior to going to bed. Gone. Sold. Again I layed in bed beating myself up over it. Thought about it all day. Kicking myself. Went on ebay, - 2 tix to Monday night opener...$750.00. Two season tickets similar seats - $2995.00 AAGGHHHH!

My dad once told me, "If you want something, you'd better buy it because if you don't, chances are someone else will."

I never really listened to him much...

Chris78
04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
As long as you can afford it and you will not have any short term problems, if it means that much to you, I would buy the item. If you have been thinking about buying it for awhile, then it probably is worth purchasing. $400 in the long run is not going to break your account as long as you have a decent job.

Honestly, for me, there have been many times that I have considered purchasing something, but few times I have totally regretted not buying something in the end. With regards to game used items, I may have rather purchased a different jersey than the one I purchased. For instance, I would have rather picked the Geoff Geary Red Barons jersey instead of purchasing the Robinson Tejeda Red Barons jersey, but I do not consider it to be a total regret.

Keep this idea in mind as well. Would you rather purchase something else with that money (especially if you are on a tight budget)?

jwasserman
04-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Odds are you're not going to get a second shot at something like that. If it's something you're planning on keeping for your personal collection, go for it.

jayt1234
04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I think too many people concern themselves with resale value...The hobbby should be on some level, for pure enjoyment and if you have the opportunity to get something that means something to you, and is not going to put you in finacial harship, Buy it...I just did this with a Drew Bledsoe Cowboys jersey offered to me from a member of this forum...I posted an Items wanted and got a reply with a price that was absolutely fair, but was the most I would have ever paid for an item, but I thought about it for all of one hour and bought it and never regreted it...I will NEVER sell this jersey so I am glad I got it.

jay

gingi79
04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Just my 2 cents.....if it's a Grail, is their really such thing as overpaying?

I always have the following question on my mind during a purchase, especially if it is a keeper:

"When it's on my wall, will my first thought be I paid too much or Damn fine piece of lumber!"