PDA

View Full Version : Astros Uniforms - A Question

frikativ54
04-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Dear Astros Fans and Other Astute Observers,

Now that I am more into game-used collecting and have been taking note of uniforms, I have noticed that the Astros have worn their road alternates for every game. Is that uncommon for a team to go to colored uniforms for road competitions? I am anxious to hear people's responses.

AstrosCollector
04-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Frik-

The Astros actually started wearing the road red jerseys more frequently during the end of the 2006 season. Apparently the club favors them over the road grey, so they have primarily worn the red as their away jersey.

Andy

eGameUsed
04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Frik,

Good observation! As AJ mentioned, the Astros do prefer the road reds as of late. In 2006, the Astros chose the road red as the style for the Cool Base jerseys. In fact, from 2002 to 2005, the Astros only issued a single red road jersey to players, making them very rare. I am told that the team issues two of the road red Cool Base jerseys to each player since 2006.

In addition, as most teams allow, the Astros let the starting pitcher choose the appropriate home or road style on regular games (not holidays, etc.). Since the players like the Cool Base, they will generally choose the red road.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

frikativ54
04-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Frik,

Good observation! As AJ mentioned, the Astros do prefer the road reds as of late. In 2006, the Astros chose the road red as the style for the Cool Base jerseys. In fact, from 2002 to 2005, the Astros only issued a single red road jersey to players, making them very rare. I am told that the team issues two of the road red Cool Base jerseys to each player since 2006.

In addition, as most teams allow, the Astros let the starting pitcher choose the appropriate home or road style on regular games (not holidays, etc.). Since the players like the Cool Base, they will generally choose the red road.

Hope this helps!

Interesting, Chris. So - do the Astros even supply players with road grey jerseys? Are there only a certain number that can be made with Cool Base technology? Can you explain the difference between the Cool Base models and the others the Astros get?

From 2000-2005, how many Home Pinstripes were made? How many road grey? How many home alternate? What has the Astros policy been on home alternates? What has the Astros policy been on white jerseys? Please share whatever additional information you can provide.

-frik54

eGameUsed
04-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Frik,

Going crazy with questions tonight. Let me see if I can answer a few.

So - do the Astros even supply players with road grey jerseys?

Yes, I am sure you will see them at some point. No indication yet that the Astros dropped one of five styles for the year.

Are there only a certain number that can be made with Cool Base technology? Can you explain the difference between the Cool Base models and the others the Astros get?

I have heard that Majestic offered the Cool Base style to each team for one style in the first year. I think that might have changed as some teams seem to have it for more than one style. The Astros have not expanded past the road reds. The Cool Base jerseys are more of a mesh style and have the underarm inserts to keep the jerseys vented. The regular knits are self explanatory. Inner tags on both jerseys say "100% Polyester." Attached are pics of both Road Red Alternates. First is the Pre-2006 Knits and Second is the 2006 to Current Cool Base. I added extra photos of the Cool Base underarm inserts and tail tagging.

Jeff Bagwell 2003 Road Alternate Red (Back)

Jeff Bagwell 2003 Road Alternate Red (Front)

Craig Biggio 2006 Road Alternate Red (Back)

Craig Biggio 2006 Road Alternate Red (Front)

Cool Base Underarm Inserts

Cool Base Tail Tagging (Screened In) and Outer Seam Tag

From 2000-2005, how many Home Pinstripes were made? How many home alternate? What has the Astros policy been on home alternates? What has the Astros policy been on white jerseys?

Most players received 2 Home Pinstripes, 2 Road Grey, 1 Home Alternate White, 1 Home Alternate Red, and 1 Road Alternate Red. Back in 2000 ane 2001, they also received 1 Home Alternate Black. I have also been told that some of the star players (Biggio, Bagwell, Clemens, etc.) received more at their request. The Astros make all of their jerseys in house, so they can supply as many as they need. I do know that late last year, Hunter Pence, Carlos Lee, and Lance Berkman made special requests (and payment) to have additional jerseys made for marketing purposes.

Another side note, I once owned 2 Adam Everett 2004 Home Pinstripes. One was prestine, and the other falling apart. When I had the chance to get him to sign them, he told me that both hung in his locker the whole season, but he only wore the one for good luck. The new one was truley a back-up. I have been able to photomatch the jersey to practically every game in 2004 when he wore a pinstripe.

Final side note, when researching my 2004 Roger Clemens pinstripe, I was able to determine that Roger wore 6 different Pinstripes in 2004, including the All-Star game. One of those jerseys was only worn for the 1st Inning of the 2004 All-Star game and then given to his mother. He wore a regular issue 2004 Home Pinstripe for the remainder of the All-Star game festivities.

In summary, it is safe to say that for the "common" (not alternate) styles, players will wear between 2-4 max. The alternate styles (which will normally be worn less) will be between 1-4 max. There are many exceptions and few rules.

Thanks,

dcrules01
04-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Would just like to compliment you on the Biggio and Bagwell they are beautiful jerseys.As a Mets fan I loved both those guys..

frikativ54
05-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Say - has anyone else noticed that the slanting of the names on the home pinstripes has changed considerably from 2000-2008? What is the reason for this?