PDA

View Full Version : 08 auction funds

momen55
04-05-2008, 03:35 PM
who benefits from the funds that are collected from the auction? if everything were to sell that is a lot of money. i am sure some of it goes to pay fees for having the site up and running, but what about the rest? does someone put it in their pockets or into their collection? just curious.

thome25.com
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I believe I read in a previous post the funds will be split amongst active members.. I am not sure you will see a response to your question any time soon, maybe you should put it in the middle of "where can I get contact info for that guy selling getty images". That seems to get pretty quick attention.

justinV
04-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I happened across your question and I'm wondering/hoping that your question was in jest.

If it's not...

You do realize that this web site is a for-profit enterprise? As much as the people behind the curtain may love this hobby, as much as these people may want to create a better atmosphere for all collectors, and as much as they may want to create an oasis of stress-free, full disclosure transactions...at the end of the day, they still have to pay all the fees associated with running this web site. This isn't Washington DC where money grows on each politician's personal money tree's...called the American taxpayers! Unfortunately GUU must balance their checkbooks each month to keep the lights on.

You do realize that Chris, Mike & others connected with this forum, (sorry I don't know all your names) spend hundred's of hours getting things in order, writing descriptions, answering questions, working with customers who want to include items in the auction. Simply trying to find the very best items, is time consuming and hard work. Understand that they pay shipping & insurance fee's---have you seen the rates lately--- to make sure these items arrive safely as the travel across America, sometimes several times getting look at & authenticated. They incur phone and airfare costs during their many hours coordinating everything to make sure everyone is on the same page when major decisions are made. Communicating with potential customers, satisfying their needs as the sell themselves and this forum, as the best avenue/venue to sell their valued/personal collectibles.

You do understand that advertising in major trade publications is not free. That mailing out a catalog's to hundred's/thousand's of customers do cost thousands of dollars. That their appearances at trade shows to promote GUU are not cheap, plus hotel rooms, food, gas, etc-etc. That the software created to run an auction especially one like this where questions can be ask in a "real time" format is unique, transparent and costly.
You do realize that they pay to make sure the items represented are authenticated by people who have gathered information and years of experience to conclude that any item is worthy of being sold to a fellow collector... to insure that you get what your paying for! Their services are not free!
Can you understand that these people also incur stress, headaches, frustration on a daily basis, trying their best to achieve the results that would make everyone happy and themselves proud of their accomplishments. We are not talking about $20 eBay items, or whether a seller disclose a small crack or not on your bat, or can I photomatch stains on my jersey to make sure somebody isn't trying to scam me with their backyard use. These people are trying to guarantee items that are valued at hundred's/thousand's of dollars.

That at any time, their decisions/integrity can be called into question, if they make a mistake in the process of authenticating items. Confirming that collectibles have "rock solid" provenance, isn't easy if it's done right!

I could go on, but I digress!

I have noticed in my past brief encounters on this forum, that you have express frustration over you being "shortchanged" over a $25 item on eBay... that you were/have been taken advantage of. I find it interesting when you express gleefulness when being able to gain an advantage on an unsuspecting eBay seller and finding/buying an item at a "steal" . I will wait to hear one day when you e-mail a seller and let them know that an item you really want, should be pulled and re-listed with a better description, or sold at a higher/fair current market price. Maybe you should not e-mail eBay sellers trying to get items pulled for a your low ball offer after items are listed for auction. (you know you do that)

Like all humans I know, we live in a glass house's...don't be quick to throw stones, it may shatter your limited personal view of things...also it can come back and hit you in the face...metaphorically of course.

Humbly... now would be a great time to get up from the computer and get out of Mom's basement, take a walk, go see a movie, grab a good meatball & cheese sub from your local deli....enjoy life and realize the glass is half full.

Enjoy your day...
JV

frikativ54
04-05-2008, 11:02 PM
JV - Wow! Calm down. Take a deep breath; the comments were written in jest. And please learn how to (not) use the possessive apostrophe.

nyjetsfan14
04-06-2008, 09:39 AM
I happened across your question and I'm wondering/hoping that your question was in jest.

If it's not...

You do realize that this web site is a for-profit enterprise? As much as the people behind the curtain may love this hobby, as much as these people may want to create a better atmosphere for all collectors, and as much as they may want to create an oasis of stress-free, full disclosure transactions...at the end of the day, they still have to pay all the fees associated with running this web site. This isn't Washington DC where money grows on each politician's personal money tree's...called the American taxpayers! Unfortunately GUU must balance their checkbooks each month to keep the lights on.

You do realize that Chris, Mike & others connected with this forum, (sorry I don't know all your names) spend hundred's of hours getting things in order, writing descriptions, answering questions, working with customers who want to include items in the auction. Simply trying to find the very best items, is time consuming and hard work. Understand that they pay shipping & insurance fee's---have you seen the rates lately--- to make sure these items arrive safely as the travel across America, sometimes several times getting look at & authenticated. They incur phone and airfare costs during their many hours coordinating everything to make sure everyone is on the same page when major decisions are made. Communicating with potential customers, satisfying their needs as the sell themselves and this forum, as the best avenue/venue to sell their valued/personal collectibles.

You do understand that advertising in major trade publications is not free. That mailing out a catalog's to hundred's/thousand's of customers do cost thousands of dollars. That their appearances at trade shows to promote GUU are not cheap, plus hotel rooms, food, gas, etc-etc. That the software created to run an auction especially one like this where questions can be ask in a "real time" format is unique, transparent and costly.
You do realize that they pay to make sure the items represented are authenticated by people who have gathered information and years of experience to conclude that any item is worthy of being sold to a fellow collector... to insure that you get what your paying for! Their services are not free!
Can you understand that these people also incur stress, headaches, frustration on a daily basis, trying their best to achieve the results that would make everyone happy and themselves proud of their accomplishments. We are not talking about $20 eBay items, or whether a seller disclose a small crack or not on your bat, or can I photomatch stains on my jersey to make sure somebody isn't trying to scam me with their backyard use. These people are trying to guarantee items that are valued at hundred's/thousand's of dollars.

That at any time, their decisions/integrity can be called into question, if they make a mistake in the process of authenticating items. Confirming that collectibles have "rock solid" provenance, isn't easy if it's done right!

I have noticed in my past brief encounters on this forum, that you have express frustration over you being "shortchanged" over a $25 item on eBay... that you were/have been taken advantage of. I find it interesting when you express gleefulness when being able to gain an advantage on an unsuspecting eBay seller and finding/buying an item at a "steal" . I will wait to hear one day when you e-mail a seller and let them know that an item you really want, should be pulled and re-listed with a better description, or sold at a higher/fair current market price. Maybe you should not e-mail eBay sellers trying to get items pulled for a your low ball offer after items are listed for auction. (you know you do that)

Like all humans I know, we live in a glass house's...don't be quick to throw stones, it may shatter your limited personal view of things...also it can come back and hit you in the face...metaphorically of course.

Humbly... now would be a great time to get up from the computer and get out of Mom's basement, take a walk, go see a movie, grab a good meatball & cheese sub from your local deli....enjoy life and realize the glass is half full.

Enjoy your day...
JV

Whoa! You do realize...somebody needs a Michelobe :D

momen55
04-06-2008, 07:14 PM
jv;
me asking a question has nothing to do with a $25 bat! if what i asked offended you, sorry. it is mearly a curious question!
i don't concern myself with lowballing on ebay either, that's not my style. you don't know me, so therefore don't judge.

Canseco44
04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
So anyways, what does happen with the funds? I think it was a fair question.

Todd

Rob L
04-06-2008, 07:41 PM

If it's not...

Enjoy your day...
JV

Wow, a dude who has only posted 3 times prior to this comes up with this diatribe. I can't wait to hear his perspective on Kyle's sandal purchases!!

metsbats
04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Generally an auction house takes on a consignment and charges a fee to the consigner which is a percentage of the final hammer price. The consigner gets the proceeds of the sale less the consignment fee.

If the auction house charges a buyers premium the auction house charges the buyer the premium and gets that fee too. The auction house also charges appropriate shipping and collects applicable sales tax to the buyer if necessary.

So the auction house will collect a consignment fee percentage and potentially a buyers premium fee percentage. This hopefully covers the cost of advertisements, photographing each item, presenting the items on the site, sending out invoices via mail, cutting checks to the consigners and mailing them out, packing and shipping out items to winning bidders,etc.

I'm sure Chris, Rob, and Mike can add more info regarding what it takes to run an auction.

David

allstarsplus
04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
You do realize that this web site is a for-profit enterprise? .

Their services are not free!

Enjoy your day...
JV

JV - Some of the great things about living in America is our entrepeneurial spirit, Freedom of Speech, and Freedom of Expression so you are entitled to your opinions.

As a dealer and passionate collector I can read between the lines and appreciate much of what you wrote. With that said, there are many collectors on the Forum who are students, young and new to the hobby and as such have limited resources so don't assume that their $25 purchase isn't exponentially proportional to a milllionaire who is ticked off by their $2,500 purchase.

I own several businesses and I tell people it is a "best efforts" to make a profit which is tough to do in this economy and people should never assume they know what you are making. For honest dealers and owners of the Forum, I hope they are making a "fair" profit. If they don't make money, this Forum may be history so I wish them much good fortune.

I finished my P&L's for 2007 and found my sales in my Sports ventures was down almost 20% from 2006. I scratch my head to try to figure where this industry is going.

With that said, I appreciate all the great people I have met on the Forum and have introduced the Forum to, and especially members who I have bought or sold to. Today, I officially have a new client in Larry P. who puchased a 2005 inaugural Nationals game used home jersey (thanks for that!).

Many thanks to everyone who contributes to this Forum.
Andrew

ndevlin
04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
As a dealer and passionate collector I can read between the lines and appreciate much of what you wrote. With that said, there are many collectors on the Forum who are students, young and new to the hobby and as such have limited resources so don't assume that their $25 purchase isn't exponentially proportional to a milllionaire who is ticked off by their $2,500 purchase.

Well said allstar, well said.

Jags Fan Dan
04-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Amount of money this site has cost me: $0. Amount of knowledge and enjoyment I have gained: Priceless. I hope they make a million dollars on the auction.