PDA

View Full Version : How not to get Stadium memorabilia

metsbats
04-04-2008, 08:29 PM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080402&content_id=2482658&vkey=pr_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Interesting story. Hope they enjoyed that game as their seaon tickets were revoked. Probably won't make it into the new stadium either.

-David

island_style
04-06-2008, 05:18 AM
Hi, David.

Did you see the current SI issue? There's a small article about collecting items from stadiums that are going to be demolished. It shows a picture of a couple walking on the field carrying a pair of Yankee Stadium seats before the stadium renovation in the 70's. Apparently, the fans were allowed to do this back then.

OT, but I had a chance to talk with Carl Erskine at my Dodger camp earlier this year at Dodgertown in Vero Beach. I asked what he did with his Brooklyn Dodger uniforms. He said he gave them away because they were taking up too much space in his closet! He mentioned that he had no idea at the time that the uniforms would be worth so much money. But, he did keep team-signed balls and some bats.

My, how times have changed.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

nyjetsfan14
04-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi, David.

Did you see the current SI issue? There's a small article about collecting items from stadiums that are going to be demolished. It shows a picture of a couple walking on the field carrying a pair of Yankee Stadium seats before the stadium renovation in the 70's. Apparently, the fans were allowed to do this back then.

OT, but I had a chance to talk with Carl Erskine at my Dodger camp earlier this year at Dodgertown in Vero Beach. I asked what he did with his Brooklyn Dodger uniforms. He said he gave them away because they were taking up too much space in his closet! He mentioned that he had no idea at the time that the uniforms would be worth so much money. But, he did keep team-signed balls and some bats.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Does anyone know if, when, and how Shea stadium items might hit the market? As a devout Jets fan/collector I have always wanted a Shea seat for my collection but have never been able to afford one. I assume that when the stadium goes away all the seats will be sold and thus prices will be much more reasonable. However, being in SoCal I obviously hear no news on such. Anybody with any info. would be greatly appreciated.

GO JETS!

metsbats
04-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Steiner sports or MLB may be selling pieces of Shea after the season.

Rumours are that Steiner may be handling both Shea and Yankee Stadium.

Announcements will be made when a decision/deal is finalized most likely towards the middle or end of the season.

David

metsbats
04-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Here's a article from SCD regarding both Shea and Yankee stadium. Both parks are owned by the City of New York. Any deal with MLB or Steiner will have to be with the City apparently.

Yanks not planning on buying current stadium

March 25, 2008

According to Yankees president Randy Levine, the New York Yankees are not in discussions to buy the current Yankee Stadium from the City of New York.

On Monday, The New York Post reported that both the Yankees and Mets were interesting in buying the ballparks so they could sell pieces of memorabilia to fans after the season, when both Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium are replaced by new facilities.

"The goal is to find the best and most efficient way to make memorabilia items available to the public and our fans," said Levine.

The City of New York owns both stadiums, upon which the teams have secured leases. According to The Post report, items like a small bag of infield dirt from Yankee Stadium could fetch as much as $25 on the memorabilia market, while the price of stadium seats could be in the $1,000 range.

"There is no agreement as of yet as to the best method of making these items available but our discussions with the city are continuing," Levine said. "When there is an agreement we will let everyone know."

Yankee Stadium officially opened its doors on April 18, 1923, becoming known as "The House that Ruth Built," and has played host to not only World Series championships, but also a variety of professional sporting events and other moments of interest. The Stadium was remodeled during the 1974 and 1975 baseball seasons, changing its exterior appearance dramatically.

Dewey2007
04-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I remember reading awhile back that only the upper decks of current Yankee Stadium were going to be torn down and the stadium itself was going to be used by local high school and college teams. I don't know if that is still the case?

If it is then I guess that means that there will still possibly be stadium memorabilia available but maybe not as much as anticipated.

nyjetsfan14
04-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Great info David, thanks a bunch. I'll keep my eyes peeled in hopes of one day adding a Shea seat to my collection.

Matthew

frikativ54
04-06-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm not much of a Yanks fan, so I was wondering why they're tearing the stadium down.

-frik54

metsbats
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Great info David, thanks a bunch. I'll keep my eyes peeled in hopes of one day adding a Shea seat to my collection.

Matthew

Your welcome Matthew. You can contact Bob Malandro at Steiner sports and ask to be put on the mailing list for Mets items. (bmalandro@steinersports.com)

Tell him you'd be interested in find out if Steiner will be involved with the Shea Stadium end of season sale. I'm sure he will notify his customers as he gets more information.

Regards
David

metsbats
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi, David.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Hi Ron,

yes times have changed. There used to be a time when fans were able to storm the field after a championship win or clincher. The last time that happened at Shea was the 1986 NL east clincher game.

I think every player who played during the time "when it was a game" as Ken Burns put it wished they held onto their game used items. Whose was to know those items would be worth so much now.

Gone are also the days when you could go to stadium dumpsters and grab cracked gamers the use to throw away after the games too.

The last free items i received from a garbage bin was my 2000 NL Wild Card budweiser sign and empty champayne bottle from when the Mets won the NL Wild Card. Now Steiner gets all the bottles and signs for resell.

-David

orioles03
04-06-2008, 10:20 PM
some people might take offense to this but when i worked for the o's we use to throw everything away game used bats, batting gloves ,helmets, you name it when we had a day game after a night we use to stay in the clubhouse go in the batting cage and hit with broken bats i remember using a sosa,palmeiro list goes on then just throw them away i also remember jason grimsley after a game came in pi$$ed off took the bottom of his cleats and ripped his jersey in half it was a throwback game you should have seen the face of the mlb.com guy who was putting the holgrams on the jersey after they wore it he was scared to death. you would not believe all the game used equipment thrown away

Swoboda4
04-06-2008, 11:37 PM
David,
I would think that if I were Steiner,Mets/yanks,or MLB, plans would have to begin shortly to obtain a hanger size storage area for all the items(approx 100,000 seats) ,outfield padding, dirt , foul poles (4), scoreboards , Yankee outfield facade , right field bleachers , numerous stadium signs ,dugout bat racks , dugout benchs ,etc
Robert
(P.S.David, still interested in bat,almost there-thanks again)

metsbats
04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Robert,

That's a very good point. NY is in the unique situation where we are retiring not just one but two ball parks in the same year.

Meanwhile I'm starting to cleanup my garage so I can fit a foul pole in it.

(The bat is still here on hold for you)

David

cjclong
04-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I wasn't sure from the post if the New York Parks department would be selling the Yankee Stadium seats after the season is over? I know they sold some after a renovation some years ago. I am one of those people who would like to get a seat from the original Yankee Stadium and if someone knows and could point me where to get one I would sure appreciate it.

goceltics
04-08-2008, 05:55 PM
CJ LONG contact me i have a yankee stadium orig. seat

Vintagedeputy
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi, David.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

I once asked former Giants and Cardinals backup catcher Sal Yvars about his old uniforms. He said that he lent a Cards uni out to some neighborhood kid for a halloween costume and the kid never returned it.

Jim

cjclong
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
CJ LONG contact me i have a yankee stadium orig. seat
Thanks, but I am looking for a seat that was in the stadium the day the last regular scheduled game is played there against Baltimore in September of this year.

hiramman
04-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I've got a few stadium chairs and for me it all depends on the shape of the chair when I get it. My Yankee Stadium & Ebbets Field chairs were already restored when I got them. My Fulton County Stadium chair was in such bad shape that I had to restore it, to make it presentable. My Wrigley Field chair was in good shape, so I left it alone. For me they just need to look good.

Ebbets Field

Yankee Stadium & Wrigley Field

Atlanta Fulton County Stadium