PDA

View Full Version : So is this how the game used dealers think of game Used Universe?

camarokids
04-04-2008, 11:30 AM
I found this dealers bizarre comments while looking at his website for the first time .

The site was recommended on the Wanted Section......

http://www.mikessportinggoods.com/network54.htm

karamaxjoe
04-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Mike Quick has had that posted on his website since the old forum days.

geoff
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Never read that before.We don't need someone like this on the Forum anyways.I have meet great people and got great items through this forum.Also learned an awful lot about the Hobby through the Forum and go on the forum everyday.Just my thoughts and I am sure others on here would 100 percent agree with me on this one.

Thanks
Geoff

3arod13
04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
HE IS WAY OFF!! Since I joined this forum, not only have I learned so much about what to look for in game used items, but people in this forum have pushed me to research hard and as much as possible to ensure what I got or want is legit.

Kudos to this website and everyone involved in it!!

Regards, Tony

Dewey2007
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I heard similar comments about the forum from another dealer I bought a jersey off of awhile back when I had mentioned this site to him in the course of our communication.

It seemed to me at least that his issues with GUU came more from personal issues he had with some particular members of the forum who he knew from being in the hobby and who had questioned an item of his he was selling or had sold.

I just say to each their own.

ahuff
04-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I've had a run in, or two, with Mike. Personally, I've just decided that I had a weird vibe from him and felt it better if I don't deal with him.

hrvatwill
04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
This site has helped me tremendously. I wish I had discovered it earlier as I am ashamed to admit that I used to be some of the "stupid money" which took certain certificates of authenticity from purported experts at face value. I was fine as long as I was sticking with baseball jerseys purchased from the Pirates or through Steiner, but when I ventured outside of this realm into football jerseys, I think that I got my clock cleaned. I am sure this site saved me from an eventual several thousand dollar mistake in the future, so I will always be grateful. As a relatively new member, sometimes I do feel that the site is a little cliquish, but fortunately that is the exception rather than the rule and even at that, pales in comparison to the tremendous value this forum creates. No wonder auction houses and dealers engaging in surreptitious activity hate it!

mvandor
04-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Don't know the guy, probably because it looks like he focuses on baseball and I collect NFL. Very poorly done website though and it looks as though the comments are years old... to each his own, and I wasn't here in those days, for all I know Lampson posted then and that was who he was referring to. :)

camarokids
04-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Don't know the guy, probably because it looks like he focuses on baseball and I collect NFL. Very poorly done website though and it looks as though the comments are years old... to each his own, and I wasn't here in those days, for all I know Lampson posted then and that was who he was referring to. :)

That is pretty funny !

I wasn't here on this site at the time either , but I still don't like his comment.

This site is great ! (even w/out the items for sale section :D)

Fnazxc0114
04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
the best part about this forum is how it has educated me on gameused bats. by going tol birdbats website i was able to learn a lot. collecting game used is something that i have wanted to do for a long time and this website has given me the courage to do so without the fear of getting burned. also another key thing this website has taught me is if i have a funny feeling about something just walk away.

momen55
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
same for me. i have had great transactions, both selling and buying, have met a few, and have learned alot.
that statement goes to show us that "the bad is always against the good".

bigtruck260
04-04-2008, 04:11 PM
I was a long time browser while in college...and am now a member.
I have not only learned TONS here, I have read extremely well-written arguments about items that fail the sniff test.

Not to mention, I have seen eBay sellers who I was always speculative of come into this forum and disrupt our harmony...leading me to believe that it was a good idea to stay away in the first place.

Finally, I have made plenty of trustworthy friends here. Here's to Jeff, Donny, Joe, Bill, Abe, Mark, Billy, Jolan, Don, Kyle and everyone else. You guys are the best.

Dave

hiramman
04-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Plus it's quite entertaining!!

aeneas01
04-04-2008, 07:21 PM
i would have extremely strong reservations about doing business with anyone that recommended staying away from this forum. it's as simple as that.

fwiw the guy's ebay name is williemays660 and he's been discussed before...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9678

frikativ54
04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
i would have extremely strong reservations about doing business with anyone that recommended staying away from this forum. it's as simple as that.

fwiw the guy's ebay name is williemays660 and he's been discussed before...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9678

Thanks for that info. I tend to be very skeptical, but I've met some very nice people on here. The biggest thing for me is:

Who legitimately would be afraid of potential buyers getting more information?

What does the seller have to hide?

frikativ54
04-04-2008, 09:27 PM
And here's your answer: check out these two links, and then tell me this guy doesn't have some serious problems.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/thread/1110469741/williemays660+Credibility+%28or+lack+thereof%29

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=williemays660

He may be a game-used expert, but what gets me is his complete willingness to insult anybody who doesn't see eye-to-eye with him.

Why the anger? There has got to be more to him than meets the eye.

I would take his comments with more than a grain of salt.

bigtime59
04-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Mike can get a little bit...wound up...sometimes, but then again, so can I.
I just picked up a neg as a buyer from a seller who failed to adequately package a fragile item, and won't refund shipping charges. Our feedback exchange has been Mike worthy! :rolleyes: (I do not fear neg rep when it's given by thieving bastages! My only consolation is that she'll likely expire soon, if the reek of cigarettes that emerged from the bubble envelope when I opened it is any indication.
BTW, what kind of moron packs a bobblehead doll in a bubble envelope? Enquiring minds want to know! :mad:

Seriously, though, he does have an extensive knowledge of Giants stuff, which would be useful on this forum, but since somebody back in the day decided to poke the bear with a stick, I doubt we'll see him back any time soon. Too bad...

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

SSB15
04-05-2008, 04:19 PM
I think this site is very useful to collectors. I like to think of it as the better business bureau for collectors.

Scott

frikativ54
04-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I think this site is very useful to collectors. I like to think of it as the better business bureau for collectors.

Scott

Scott,

Agreed. It's nice to have somewhere to turn to ask candid questions about the authenticity of items. I just was really disturbed by Mike's constant need to insult anyone who disagrees with anyone. Earth to Mike: Not everyone who doesn't share your views is an idiot.

There are good people who have varying opinions on matters game-used. Some of his insults on the Old Forum reminded me of a fifth-grade bully who always needs to one-up someone with insipid insults. Grow up, Mike: you aren't as pithy as you think you are.

Marichal27
04-05-2008, 05:48 PM
The forum doesn't need Mike Quick for Giants knowledge since there is already someone here, in fact he taught Mike, '60's, '70's and '80's SF Giants. His name is Lon Lewis.