PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you think people should keep their comments to themselves?

3arod13
04-04-2008, 04:54 AM
At what point do you think people should keep their comments to themselves?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-1994-AUTO-1ST-GAME-HOME-SEASON-TICKET_W0QQitemZ230238353961QQihZ013QQcategoryZ558 73QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an avid Alex Rodriguez Collector, I feel I have pretty good knowledge of his collectibles. The ticket in this auction, I once owned. The now owner bought it from me for $750. Now is selling for $3,500. He's listed in over and over and over. I emailed him, giving him my thoughts on why I beleive the price is too high. The only thing this ticket has going for it is, it's a full ticket and it has an early signature. This ticket is from Arod's 4th major league game and his first home game as a Mariner. Other than that, there's really not much interest in this ticket from either ticket collectors or autograph collectors...especially at that price.

Well, after listing this ticket for at least five times at the same price, I offerred my thoughts and recommendations to the seller. Wow, did I get a nasty ear full. "Mind your own F***** business. Kiss my A**, etc."

Do you think in cases like this, we are better off just letting people do as they see fit? Even though we beleive we're helping, should we not?

I realize it's different when we see game used auctions, and somethings wrong with the piece, many will email the seller to let them know.

Your thoughts?

Tony

reed1216
04-04-2008, 05:51 AM
As long as they are representing the item appropriately, I think it's their item to sell for whatever price they see fit. Once we complete a transaction with a buyer, I do think that it's common courtesy to keep our comments to ourselves. If a price is so out of line that it offends people, I would expect they would use a forum, such as this, to voice their views.

I have sold pieces for less than they were later sold again for and I have always viewed that as a part of the hobby. One item that comes to mind in an early Walter Payton game worn jersey, with some really nice repairs and field stains. I consigned it to Grey Flannel and it went for about $4,500.00. I had originally purchased it for $2,500.00, so I made a few bucks, but when I sold it, I thought it would fetch a bit more. It sold again for about $8,000.00 in a recent auction and I am still kicking myself for letting it go when I did. To be honest, I really wish I had held onto it, but choices are choices and we all have to live with those we make.

Never did I feel like anything was done that wasn't within the guidelines of the hobby we're in. People buy and sell things every day. Some make money, some break even and some even lose, from time to time. My advice to anybody collecting stuff is to buy what you want, sell the things you don't want that badly and enjoy what you're doing. We all know that there are many people that involve themselves with this hobby, just to make a quick buck. That's all part of the playing field we're on and as long as we're aware of that, we can build our collections in a manner that makes it fun for us.

commando
04-04-2008, 11:34 AM
I think we all agree that you SHOULD say something if you sold and item to someone, and he turns around and misrepresents the item when he resells it (adds game use, makes up a story on it's history, etc.)

In this case, he's just pulling a "Grey Flannel." Bought a legit item and listed it for four or five times what they paid. Maybe he can contact Grey Flannel and see if they have a job opening for a buyer...

Master Shake
04-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Just let him keep eating the fees. He'll get the idea eventually.

Jags Fan Dan
04-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Anytime you offer unsolicited advice or information, you run the risk of offending someone and getting the profanity-laced tirade you describe. But if you believe that the risk of some good coming out of it outweighs any possible bad consequences of sending the advise or information, I say go for it. If your intentions are good, you may one day really help somebody understand something that they didn't before, which is very valuable.

David
04-04-2008, 01:12 PM
If it's an identity/dating/authenticity/representation problem then it's fair to comment. If it's just an overpricing issue, then it's probably best to keep quiet. If they seller asks for your opinion on something, then you're free to offer it.

I've had people tell me an item was overpriced, then the item sold for more in auction, so I tend to be wary of people who give me unsolicited pricing advise. I think some people play the pricing game as a bargaining point.

Of, course, unless you're lying or have dubious motives, it's a free country and you can comment on price if you wish.

But, as mentioned, if an item is overpriced, the seller will figure it out before long. If it hasn't sold for four or five times, he probably already has an idea.

David
04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm no appraiser, but as far as authenticity goes I only give my opinion on an auction lot if asked. I've met enough unscrupulous sellers and bidders who bid anyway that it often was not worth the effort. And I don't scower auctions looking for errors anyway. However, bidders and sellers are welcome to ask for my input, and some do, and I will offer it if I can. If neither the auction house nor the bidders ask for my take, I keep my opinion to myself.

This is only the way I do it, and am not suggesting it's wrong to be more assertive.

David
04-04-2008, 01:40 PM
One last thing, Tony, is if the seller of the ARod item didn't want your opinion, he still should have have said, "Thanks for offering your opinion." The scatological reply was uncalled for as is a reflection on him rather than you.

ndevlin
04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
As long as they are representing the item appropriately, I think it's their item to sell for whatever price they see fit. Once we complete a transaction with a buyer, I do think that it's common courtesy to keep our comments to ourselves. If a price is so out of line that it offends people, I would expect they would use a forum, such as this, to voice their views.

I have sold pieces for less than they were later sold again for and I have always viewed that as a part of the hobby. One item that comes to mind in an early Walter Payton game worn jersey, with some really nice repairs and field stains. I consigned it to Grey Flannel and it went for about $4,500.00. I had originally purchased it for $2,500.00, so I made a few bucks, but when I sold it, I thought it would fetch a bit more. It sold again for about $8,000.00 in a recent auction and I am still kicking myself for letting it go when I did. To be honest, I really wish I had held onto it, but choices are choices and we all have to live with those we make.

Never did I feel like anything was done that wasn't within the guidelines of the hobby we're in. People buy and sell things every day. Some make money, some break even and some even lose, from time to time. My advice to anybody collecting stuff is to buy what you want, sell the things you don't want that badly and enjoy what you're doing. We all know that there are many people that involve themselves with this hobby, just to make a quick buck. That's all part of the playing field we're on and as long as we're aware of that, we can build our collections in a manner that makes it fun for us.

Totally agree with you Reed! When we sell items, it is out of our possesion. The new seller can do whatever he wants with the item. So if he list the item for 10 times than what he paid for it from one of us, well, thats the way life goes sometimes. The value of an item is only worth such if you can sell it for that. So if someone wants to buy this ticket for $3,000, kudos to the new seller for making a profit. It sucks to find out the new owner sold it for way more money than what you sold it to him for originally. But, like I said, it happens! Now, as far as the name calling, I dont think thats very nice at all. You can actually report him to ebay for that. I've actually done that before. But he could probably come back and turn you in for harrasement. Haha, Im only kidding:)

kellsox
04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't see where its someone else's place to tell someone that they are asking too much for an item. As long as the item is described correctly, he/she can ask whatever they want for it. All it takes is for one person to be willing to pay their price.
K

10thMan
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Since you asked...
Unsolicited advice can very easily upset people, under ANY circumstances. I`m not saying it`s right or wrong, depends on the situation. I`ll agree (with some) that sometimes it`s ok to speak up, misrepresentation is a good example. I see it all the time on Ebay, NOT only with memorabilia. Once the name calling begins, its ugly, far as I`m concerned & it don`t have to be profanity. It takes more than a nice Suit to give a man Class!
Sean

otismalibu
04-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't comment on pricing. Obviously, we've all seen items on eBay that have literally been listed for months (or longer) and never get a sniff. I guess they're just on a fishing expedition.

I will occasionally email a seller and let them know that they have a spelling error in their listing that is surely costing them hits. Or maybe I'll politely suggest a few keywords for them to use. I'll also let them know when they're selling a fake jersey, auto, etc. just in case they truly don't know.

Tay1038
04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
As soon as they think something negative. Negative thoughts equals negative behavior. Simple as that.

Vintagedeputy
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I think that......

I'm going to keep my comments to myself. :)

aeneas01
04-04-2008, 07:38 PM
At what point do you think people should keep their comments to themselves?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-1994-AUTO-1ST-GAME-HOME-SEASON-TICKET_W0QQitemZ230238353961QQihZ013QQcategoryZ558 73QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an avid Alex Rodriguez Collector, I feel I have pretty good knowledge of his collectibles. The ticket in this auction, I once owned. The now owner bought it from me for $750. Now is selling for $3,500. He's listed in over and over and over. I emailed him, giving him my thoughts on why I beleive the price is too high. The only thing this ticket has going for it is, it's a full ticket and it has an early signature. This ticket is from Arod's 4th major league game and his first home game as a Mariner. Other than that, there's really not much interest in this ticket from either ticket collectors or autograph collectors...especially at that price.

Well, after listing this ticket for at least five times at the same price, I offerred my thoughts and recommendations to the seller. Wow, did I get a nasty ear full. "Mind your own F***** business. Kiss my A**, etc."

Do you think in cases like this, we are better off just letting people do as they see fit? Even though we beleive we're helping, should we not?

I realize it's different when we see game used auctions, and somethings wrong with the piece, many will email the seller to let them know.

Your thoughts?

Tony

imo you didn't simply "comment" on an item - you volunteered your unsolicited opinion on an item that you once owned. very shaky ground - especially given that it appears criticism, albeit well-intentioned, was involved.

frikativ54
04-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't see where its someone else's place to tell someone that they are asking too much for an item. As long as the item is described correctly, he/she can ask whatever they want for it. All it takes is for one person to be willing to pay their price.
K

Regardless of the validity of the OP's opinion, it is never a good idea to respond to an inquiry using profanity. Who knows, later you guys might work a deal with one another. But through rudeness, that only jeopardizes potential future deals. Some people on eBay have such venom that it's amazing.

joelsabi
04-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Your thoughts?

Tony

Tony,

I would leave him alone. The market will determine the value and he should get the hint you would think.

I am annoyed again since an item he bought was relisted and so i ask the seller what happened. he said the deal fell through. the seller happens to be from the same state as he which looks suspicious since the seller did not leave him any negative feedback.

Any item he touches I know it will never be a part of my collection so i am saddened.

joelsabi
04-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Tony,

I would leave him alone. The market will determine the value and he should get the hint you would think.

I am annoyed again since an item he bought was relisted and so i ask the seller what happened. he said the deal fell through. the seller happens to be from the same state as he which looks suspicious since the seller did not leave him any negative feedback.

Any item he touches I know it will never be a part of my collection so i am saddened.

i just got a reply back that the seller left positive feedback for him even tho he is relisting it.

the feedback says: Good buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended.

how is this possible?

beavisrules
04-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Honestly, I gave up on emailing ebay folks who were selling Notre Dame "game used" jerseys that were either fakes or misrepresentations of a retail or authentic item. Why? Because I was tired of getting threatening emails back (plus the occasional profanity). Not worth it. Besides, most of the fakes/misrepresentations are consistantly of the 1994-97 era #3 home jersey, and I figured people must know it is not real when they see the same jersey listed by different sellers on a regular monthly basis, while being titled various things (from the correct authentic label, to the incorrect "game used or game worn" title). Conversely, on this forum, I would point out ND jerseys that don't look legit, since I figure people here would actually care for an opinion; I have emailed auction houses as well, although they typically don't listen or don't care to respond or change a listing.

3arod13
04-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Guess I felt that since I owned it, sold it to him, and am aware of what Arod items sell for, I was doing a good thing by giving some advice.

I guess most of you are correct. Once sold, it's the new owners item and they should be able to do as they see fit.

I just figured since the seller reslisted the item more than 6 times in the last two months at the same price, I would provide them with some guidance.

Well, I do recall an item on ebay that was for a buy it now of $1,500. Was listed over and over for 3 months. Then bingo, someone bought it with at the buy it now price.

As many of you said, you just never know when and what someone is willing to pay.

Thanks for your comments.

Tony

bigtime59
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
As long as they are representing the item appropriately, I think it's their item to sell for whatever price they see fit.

Or, in this case, it's their item to not sell for whatever price they see fit...over and over and over again.
My thought on these multiple-time losers is: lower the price or stop listing them. But maybe that's just me...

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com