PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on this Munson bat?

Vintagedeputy
04-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Remaining animus?

The Cleveland Marlins?

Ken Holtzman the picture?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-game-bat-signed-used-signed-Thurman-Munson_W0QQitemZ160226085683QQihZ006QQcategoryZ605 96QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bat_master
04-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Remaining animus?

The Cleveland Marlins?

Ken Holtzman the picture?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-game-bat-signed-used-signed-Thurman-Munson_W0QQitemZ160226085683QQihZ006QQcategoryZ605 96QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jim -

I've never heard of the Cleveland Marlins either, and yes...they did make a couple of spelling/wording mistakes. I don't think that's enough to have to question an item that is being sold.

Munson did order 35" M169 model bats in 1976 so from that standpoint (depending on the length, weight, and other markings) this bat is most likely legit.

Vintagedeputy
04-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree that the bat looks good, I just worry when the seller of something high profile like that words an auction like a 10 year old non baseball fan. It makes the listing lose some legitimacy and starts to raise a red flag in my mind. Just my .02

Jim

3arod13
04-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Hey Bat_Master...what's the deal? You're from MN and you're a Packers fan!! Trader (lol). I'm a Viking Fan!

bat_master
04-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Hey Bat_Master...what's the deal? You're from MN and you're a Packers fan!! Trader (lol). I'm a Viking Fan!

Hi Tony,

To clarify...I was born in Wisconsin and lived there until my wife and I bought a house in Minnesota in 2005 when I was 26. I will NEVER claim the Vikings. I think that as a franchise they are an embarrassment. I don't think I need to explain why...let the prosecutors and the district attorneys do that.

However, I am enough of a football fan to say that Adrian Peterson is an extremely talented player when used properly.

I do claim the Minnesota Twins though. I grew up on the western side of Wisconsin only an hour and change from the Twin Cities. Had I been in closer proximity to Milwaukee things may have been different.

bat_master
04-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree that the bat looks good, I just worry when the seller of something high profile like that words an auction like a 10 year old non baseball fan. It makes the listing lose some legitimacy and starts to raise a red flag in my mind. Just my .02

Jim

Hi Jim,

A good bat will stand alone. I don't care if the description was written by a 10 year old non baseball fan. If they can measure, use a scale, check the knob for markings, and examine the barrel for seam impressions, ball marks, or grain swelling then by all means...let them use ebay to sell.

Theoretically, if a person wasn't concerned so much with the overall condition as far as the amount of use but was more concerned with whether the bat was good or not (ie, matched factory records) it could almost be listed only with the year, company, player, length, and weight and it would sell. This is especially true of vintage bats.

In any case, I don't see any red flags in this auction, but I obviously have not had the bat in hand to examine it and don't know any of the specifics. I would also like to see a picture of the knob markings (if any are present).

3arod13
04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi Tony,

To clarify...I was born in Wisconsin and lived there until my wife and I bought a house in Minnesota in 2005 when I was 26. I will NEVER claim the Vikings. I think that as a franchise they are an embarrassment. I don't think I need to explain why...let the prosecutors and the district attorneys do that.

However, I am enough of a football fan to say that Adrian Peterson is an extremely talented player when used properly.

I do claim the Minnesota Twins though. I grew up on the western side of Wisconsin only an hour and change from the Twin Cities. Had I been in closer proximity to Milwaukee things may have been different.

Tim, yeah, I'm not proud of that part of the Viking organization. I've been a Viking fan back with the purple people eaters days.

Not proud of that side of them, that's for sure. Tony

helmets
04-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Bat Master...

I grew up in LaCrosse. I claimed the Twins as a kid as it was closer to the Met than down to County to watch the Brew Crew. My brother did the same thing - moved to Minnesota - LaCrescent and now Lake City, but still is a Cheesehead when it comes to the Pack. I am currently in Michigan, and can not stand the Lions. Once a Cheesehead Packer fan, always a Cheesehead Packer fan.

Vintagedeputy
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Jim,

A good bat will stand alone. I don't care if the description was written by a 10 year old non baseball fan. If they can measure, use a scale, check the knob for markings, and examine the barrel for seam impressions, ball marks, or grain swelling then by all means...let them use ebay to sell.

Theoretically, if a person wasn't concerned so much with the overall condition as far as the amount of use but was more concerned with whether the bat was good or not (ie, matched factory records) it could almost be listed only with the year, company, player, length, and weight and it would sell. This is especially true of vintage bats.

In any case, I don't see any red flags in this auction, but I obviously have not had the bat in hand to examine it and don't know any of the specifics. I would also like to see a picture of the knob markings (if any are present).

I guess I wasnt explaining myself the way I wanted to. What I meant was, when I see a high profile item and a poorly worded description that appears to be written by a non baseball fan, my first thoughts are that it is a stolen scan and fraudulent auction. I dont know the seller and couldnt afford to win the bat anyway, something just strikes me as odd.

bigtruck260
04-03-2008, 04:48 PM
I guess I wasnt explaining myself the way I wanted to. What I meant was, when I see a high profile item and a poorly worded description that appears to be written by a non baseball fan, my first thoughts are that it is a stolen scan and fraudulent auction. I dont know the seller and couldnt afford to win the bat anyway, something just strikes me as odd.

I thought the same thing, actually Deputy. Ebay has also made me flag folks who seem to be intentionally "playing dumb" so that some "smart person" can "take advantage" of the genuine article...if there is one.

When I collected autographs, I saw a lot of this. Sellers would act as if they had no idea that Albert Pujols was a desirable autograph...and by "selling it for a friend" they escaped the forgery accusations from potential buyers.

I wish I could trust everyone, but that's eBay. Just to clarify - I have no reason to believe that this Munson bat is not the real deal...but I understand why some would question the seller rather than the bat.

Dave