PDA

View Full Version : Flip that jersey!

Eric
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I smell a new reality series. Flip that jersey!!

Bought for $4999
http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-SF-49ERS-JOE-MONTANA-GAME-USED-WORN-JERSEY-W-COA_W0QQitemZ370029245937QQihZ024QQcategoryZ60597Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
1979-1980 SAN FRANCISCO 49ers JOE MONTANA GAME USED WORN ROAD JERSEY

Beautiful RARE RARE 1979-1980 San Francisco 49ers #16 JOE MONTANA GAME USED WORN ROAD jersey. Very RARE Montana jersey from his ROOKIE era with the 49ers. Wilson, size 44. Everything is screened on the jersey! All original. Shows light use. Purchased from a SF 49ers clubhouse employee, with his letter of COA. This COA proves it's Authenticity, therefore all sales are final. I will not subject this jersey to any Third Party 'so-called' expert Authenticators. I think that anyone who knows Lon, his reputation speaks for itself. If you don't know him, you should not bid on this item.

For sale on Grey Flannel for $21,000

3268) Rookie Era Joe Montana SF 49ers Game-Used Road Jersey (MEARS A10)

This jersey was sourced directly from former 49ers equipment manager Chico Norton. On the left front tail is the “Wilson” manufacturers tag with jersey size “44.” Player number “16” appears on the front, back and on both sleeves in red vinyl numbers. Player name “MONTANA” appears on back in the same red vinyl on a white nameplate. The nameplate is two pieces of mesh sewn together and then sewn to the shirt. The jersey shows light quarterback use and appears to have no alterations of any kind. MEARS LOA A10. Additional LOA which sources the shirt from the former equipment manager.

Eric
04-02-2008, 11:35 AM
And by the way, there's nothing wrong with flipping a piece if you can swing it. I just happened to notice it

kingjammy24
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
when GFC said the jersey was "sourced directly from Chico Norton", you'd almost think they meant they got it directly from Chico Norton. i guess "sourced directly from mike quick on ebay" doesn't have the same impressive ring. reminds me of the time Historic Auctions got a David Wright helmet from Kim Stigall and proceeded to say it was "sourced from the Mets".

i guess everyone wants to sound like they're a "major player down at the cracker factory" when in reality they're just trolling ebay like the rest of us. i can't count the number of items i've seen go directly from ebay to GFC and mears and immediately incur a 4x price increase. i can only imagine the skill and effort required to hit that "buy it now" button and then tack on $16k for the immense work it all took. much like dave bushing's $30k plane ride when he flipped a reggie jackson jersey from $20k to $50k. $16k for doing nothing, $30k for taking a plane trip. i'm in the wrong business.

anyway, clearly most of us have seen home flipping artificially inflate the value of homes and contribute greatly to the current real estate fiasco. does jersey flipping artificially inflate the value of jerseys?

has anyone ever seen a montana gamer go for more than $12k?

this one's almost up there with their $20k joba chamberlain bug jersey. the jersey made famous because there were gnats at the game. maybe GFC can find a limo driver who'll attest to there being gnats at the 49'ers game when joe wore the jersey and they can tack another $19k "gnat" premium.

anyway, good luck to whoever buys the jersey because upon purchase, they'll immediately be upside down on it. mike quick's an experienced dealer and i imagine he wants to get as much as he can for his pieces. his prices aren't low. apparently, GFC thought he was $16k off which will mean that mike was really out to lunch on pricing it. somehow, i doubt it.

rudy.

beantown
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
It appears the Montana jersey Mike Quick was selling on Ebay sold for a "buy it now" price of $4,999.99. So it appears the new buyer is trying to make a substantial profit....no harm, no foul. Personally, if I had that much money to spend and I wanted a Montana gamer, I would only buy this...

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=2142223&catLevel=1&scLevel=1&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=4210&catParentID=4453&scId=4453

kingjammy24
04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
i stumbled across this:

http://www.49ersgamers.com/Players/joemontana.html

rudy.

kingjammy24
04-04-2008, 05:47 PM
jersey is now listed as sold!

looks like GFC managed to find the final, lone collector who's never heard of ebay. maybe it was one of richie's computer-phobic peers.

rudy.

aeneas01
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
when GFC said the jersey was "sourced directly from Chico Norton", you'd almost think they meant they got it directly from Chico Norton. i guess "sourced directly from mike quick on ebay" doesn't have the same impressive ring. reminds me of the time Historic Auctions got a David Wright helmet from Kim Stigall and proceeded to say it was "sourced from the Mets".

amazing, isn't it? might as well state that it was sourced directly from montana given that, presumably, it was once his jersey, no? but i guess that would be getting too greedy...

btw, are these even the same jerseys? i know absolutely zero about jerseys but the back numbers on the gf jersey seem much larger/longer than those on the other jersey - could the fact that the gf jersey is hung have that much of a dramatic effect?

whatever the case, it seems that the general consensus among the jersey experts is that the jersey is authentic - which is much more than i can say for the "1978 jim otto oakland raider game-used & autographed helmet (jsa)" some poor soul paid $1,000++ through grey flannel for. otto retired after the 1974 season and never wore anything but a riddell suspension lid throughout his career which, clearly, the helmet which sold is not.

i guess it could be argued that grey flannel didn't exactly state that it was "jim otto's game used helmet" that was up for auction. but if gf knew it wasn't his lid they could have certainly made it much more clear than they did - especially considering the lid came with otto's number affixed to the exterior....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/gf.jpg

kingjammy24
04-05-2008, 12:14 AM
btw, are these even the same jerseys? i know absolutely zero about jerseys but the back numbers on the gf jersey seem much larger/longer than those on the other jersey - could the fact that the gf jersey is hung have that much of a dramatic effect?

whenever i'm comparing 2 different images of what may (or may not) be the same jersey, i find it's often easiest to look at the tagging. specifically, i'll count the number of stitches on each side of the tag and see if they're identical and i'll look for unique traits like loose or broken threads and unique puckering marks. in this case, you're fortunate to be dealing with a mesh jersey meaning you can also count the number and location of mesh holes alongside each side of the tag. when all of these things measure up, it's a "photomatch". these things just wouldn't be replicated perfectly in a factory. anyway, here's a comparison of photos of the tags from GFC's site and mike quick's ad. both have the identical puckering of the bottom, left corner. both have loose threads on the right side. the number and location of the mesh holes that run alongside each side of the tag are identical. i can't see 2 different tags obtaining the identical bottom left corner pucker AND loose threads on the right side. imo, they're the same jersey.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/3079/sillyrf2.jpg

by the way, i just read the letter. mike quick didn't even obtain it "directly from chico norton". it states that mike obtained it from lon lewis who obtained it from norton. GFC from mike quick from lon lewis from chico norton. the word "directly" must've confused GFC.

rudy.

aeneas01
04-05-2008, 02:06 AM
whenever i'm comparing 2 different images of what may (or may not) be the same jersey, i find it's often easiest to look at the tagging. specifically, i'll count the number of stitches on each side of the tag and see if they're identical and i'll look for unique traits like loose or broken threads and unique puckering marks. in this case, you're fortunate to be dealing with a mesh jersey meaning you can also count the number and location of mesh holes alongside each side of the tag. when all of these things measure up, it's a "photomatch". these things just wouldn't be replicated perfectly in a factory. anyway, here's a comparison of photos of the tags from GFC's site and mike quick's ad. both have the identical puckering of the bottom, left corner. both have loose threads on the right side. the number and location of the mesh holes that run alongside each side of the tag are identical. i can't see 2 different tags obtaining the identical bottom left corner pucker AND loose threads on the right side. imo, they're the same jersey.

so, in a nutshell, what you're saying is that you are as dementedly absorbed by jerseys as i am with lids? is that it? as great as this forum is, you would think that it would offer a group help section for the likes of you, me and the many others here that are irreversibly damaged by this obsession, this collecting thing, this need to know what's bunk and what's not!

seriously tho, i see what you mean about the tag - very interesting. as i've mentioned before, man am i glad helmets are my only addiction! and, yeah, the way gfc described how the montana jersey was obtained is pretty darn bush, pretty weak. but, like you said, i'm sure they realized that having a slogan such as "we scour ebay so you don't have to" probably doesn't project the same panache...

beantown
04-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Jersey sold for $21k....unbeleiveable!!!!