PDA

View Full Version : Be Forewarned...Some Serious Questions About A Seller

frikativ54
04-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Dear GameUsedUniverse Collectors,

I believe that a particular batboy may be falsely listing items. While I don't know this with 100% certainty, it merits enough attention for you guys to really scrutinize this one. I do see that there have been a few threads about eBay seller, manica71, but not enough true debunking has been done.

Two days ago, he called me up asking if I wanted to buy a Jeff Bagwell TBTC batting helmet. He also said that I could make a trade with him. I suggested that I would throw in my Hunter Pence bat, if I indeed thought his helmet to be legitimate. From our conversation, it sounded as if he only vaguely knew who Pence was, yet seemed thrilled at the prospect of acquiring a bat from a player he hardly even knew of. Red flag number one. After talking with Chris Boyd of Houston Sports Investments, he said that I should definitely stay away, because a similar helmet could be found at Walmart. Plus, no commons have turned up for these TBTC hats, and why have only stars turned up?

So today I go on eBay, as I always do, and I find that he has listed both of these Jeff Bagwell items:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEFF-BAGWELL-GAME-USED-ASTROS-RETRO-1999-ABC-HELMET_W0QQitemZ110239184076QQihZ001QQcategoryZ501 17QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEFF-BAGWELL-GAME-USED-ASTROS-NEW-ERA-PRO-90S-HAT_W0QQitemZ110239188806QQihZ001QQcategoryZ50117Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

I went on GettyImages and tried to find a photomatch, and there were no 1999 TBTC pictures period, much less any of Bagwell wearing a similar helmet. Red flag number two. When he did offer me the Bagwell 1990s alternate hat, he gave me a price tag of $100. That is just ridiculous. Hartel Sports offered me a Bagwell hat for over twice the price, and I would imagine they would command even more than that. Red flag number three. Why would someone sell an authentic Jeff Bagwell hat at a starting bid of $0.99, if it is indeed real? Red flag number four.

Notice manica71's other auctions: there are no common players. Only the best of the best. I am really wondering why he's selling a Ken Griffey, Jr. game-used bat if he was a National League batboy. Red flag number five. I don't want to sit here and make baseless accusations, but I have stated enough concerns that I think anyone would be suspicious. Could all of you experts please take a look at the Bagwell stuff in question and try and mount a convincing case about this seller one way or another? I think people like me who aren't the most educated about game-used stuff really deserve a good education on this piece. And please feel free to defend the seller if I am indeed wrong. Talking with him on the phone, he didn't seem like a jerk or anything.

Look forward to hearing from fellow collectors.

Sincerely,

Leslie

eGameUsed
04-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Frik,

I just want to make sure I was clear in my e-mail. I am not able to make an opinion on the helmet you referenced. I don't think I mentioned they could be purchased at Wal-mart (or at least they are not in my area), but I have seen at least two others sell on eBay in the last 3 years. One was offered my B&E Collectibles, which I consider to be very reputable. The other by an unknown seller. I do not know if the helmet is legite or not, I just know that they are very hard to authenticate as helmets are available through retail venues. The number used on the helmet in question is a standard letter available from sheets at discount type stores.

I do think it is interesting that the seller mentions he did have common players helmets in his description. I don't know the seller, so can't vouch for his honesty. The listing of the items at $0.99 does not bother me. I list almost all of my items at $0.99 to minimize entry fees and let buyers carry the price up.

Again, just want to clarify that I in no way can make a determination to its authenticity. Hats and Helmets are very difficult to authenticate. They are both available through sporting goods and other outlets such as Anaconda Sports. I can not say the item is falsely represented either.

Thanks,

hblakewolf
04-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Frik,

I just want to make sure I was clear in my e-mail. I am not able to make an opinion on the helmet you referenced. I don't think I mentioned they could be purchased at Wal-mart (or at least they are not in my area), but I have seen at least two others sell on eBay in the last 3 years. One was offered my B&E Collectibles, which I consider to be very reputable. The other by an unknown seller. I do not know if the helmet is legite or not, I just know that they are very hard to authenticate as helmets are available through retail venues. The number used on the helmet in question is a standard letter available from sheets at discount type stores.

I do think it is interesting that the seller mentions he did have common players helmets in his description. I don't know the seller, so can't vouch for his honesty. The listing of the items at $0.99 does not bother me. I list almost all of my items at $0.99 to minimize entry fees and let buyers carry the price up.

Again, just want to clarify that I in no way can make a determination to its authenticity. Hats and Helmets are very difficult to authenticate. They are both available through sporting goods and other outlets such as Anaconda Sports. I can not say the item is falsely represented either.

Thanks,

Chris-
Please elaborate-you saw Houston Astros helmets, manufactured by ABC and containing the same 3 labels as the example on ebay, for sale at Wal-Mart? The same exact helmet as worn in the game by the Astros?

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

frikativ54
04-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Sorry if I misrepresented what Chris Boyd said; it was in no way intentional. Here is the exact quote:
Those older Astros helmets are readily available and the numbers are available at the local wal-mart..

MikeSharon
04-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Many of TBTC helments from the series in 1999 were sold to B&E as I bought the Billy Wagner from them at the 2001? national in clevland. They had several players left at that time i do not remember them having the Bagwell, but they had most of the commons left. I can say that the helment style and numbers seem to match the Wagner helment I have. Hope this helps
Mike

ironmanfan
04-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I know I've stated this before, but I bought a Ripken GU cap & flapless BP helmet from this seller in '07 and when I showed them to Cal, he confirmed their authenticity. Obviously, I know nothing about Astros helmets (other than they are not available @ Wal-Mart) and can offer nothing about the Bagwell items, but just wanted to relate my experience with the seller.

AstrosCollector
04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
I emailed the seller after I saw the helmet listed and asked if he had any more common helmets left and he said that he didn't and had "saved the best for last". I asked if he wouldn't mind sharing which helmets he did have, as they are pretty rare, and you don't see them pop up that often. He replied that he "couldn't exactly remember" which players he had.

Is 7 1/4 the right size for Bags?

I have seen those hats listed 4 or 5 times now.

skipcareyisfat
04-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Likewise, is 7 the correct size for Biggio?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110239191819&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

eGameUsed
04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Howard,

As mentioned in my reply, the numbers used on Astros Helmets through 1997 and some of 1998 were the same stickers you can purchase at store such as Walmart. Frik has clarified this. The helmets however are readily available from sporting goods suppliers, such as Anaconda.

B&E was selling a Bagwell 1999 TBTC helmet on eBay within the last couple of years. They also had others.

As for size, my Biggio helmet is from the early 1990s and is a 7 1/8". Biggio hats have been a size 7 since the mid 1990s. Believe it or not, his hats are that small!

Bagwell wore a Size 7 1/4" earlier in his career (he used to have a lot thicker hair), but his recent hats were a size 7 1/8".

Frik asked for my opinion on the helmet and I told her I can not offer an opinion since I don't know the seller. I generally don't buy game used hats and helmets from just anyone unless they are one of my inside guys or I get from a realiable source.

Thanks,

frikativ54
04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Not to derail this thread, but Chris, could you please call me at (206)-550-0012. I would like to discuss some things you said in your emails re another matter.

Thanks,

Frik

frikativ54
04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Not to derail this thread, but Chris, could you please call me at (206)-550-0012. I would like to discuss some things you said in your emails re another matter.

Thanks,

Frik

Thanks, Chris, for your prompt reply. The reason why I wanted to bring this to collectors' attention is because of the bad experience that forum member Nate had with this seller. I will leave it up to him to post regarding his experience with manica71, but I thought that everything should be on the table before dealing with the seller. Check out his feedback: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=manica71&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&sspagename=VIP:feedback:2:us&iid=110239184076.