PDA

View Full Version : HELLO from accross the pond!

Big A
04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone, great community you have here!!!

Thought i would introduce myself, i'm a lifelong NFL and Miami Dolphins fan from the UK and i've made my first move into the Game worn market!!!!

I've just purchased a game worn Jason Taylor face mask from NFL Auctions which arrived today, JT wore the facemask for the Dolphins Giants game held at Wembley (a game i went to) i've got a massive smile on my face and i can't wait to increase my collection.

I've searched gettyimages and google for image matches and the best images are attached below.

Thanks

Andrew (Big A)

Vintagedeputy
04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Welcome Big A!

You wouldnt happen to have any extra Giants football cards from the special set that was made for the Wembley game, would you?

Jim

Nathan
04-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the hobby from this side of the pond!

David
04-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Maybe Major League Baseball will have a game in London before long.

Big A
04-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome Big A!

You wouldnt happen to have any extra Giants football cards from the special set that was made for the Wembley game, would you?

Jim

Hi Jim, Unfortunately not. I purchased quite a few items from the merchandise shops on the day but not the cards :(

I've just had a quick look on eBay UK but nothing on there. I'll keep an eye out for them though. Likewise if you find anything over here (eBayUK or elsewhere) and need any help with getting it shipped over to you give me a shout, i'd be more than happy to help.

Thanks

Andrew

Big A
04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I would really appreciate anybody who can help with photomatching this facemask. The photo i've attached above was pretty much the best one i could find from a google search but i'd love to be able to get a higher res version so that i can frame it.

thanks

Andrew

Eric
04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Big A-

Welcome to the site. Is teh NFL catching on over there?

Any Manchester United or Chelsea kits in your collection?

Eric

Vintagedeputy
04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Big A - I'll take a look for pics if you can keep your eye out for the Giants cards. They were a special promo that I understood were given away free to fans entering the game.

Jim

David
04-03-2008, 02:03 AM
As it came from the NFL Auction with NFL COA, I don't think you should have much worry about the authenticity. No better provenance than getting it from the NFL.

BULBUS
04-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Big A,

It doesn't appear that there are any distinctive marks on the facemask that you can get a solid photomatch. Being that it came directly from the NFL, and you have a photo from the game, that is pretty cool.

I bought a Michael Strahan game used facemask, then I bought a custom Strahan helmet from http://www.realstuffsports.com/, then I put the gu facemask on the helmet. It is one of my favorite pieces. Its a nice, maybe a little expensive, way to display that facemask.

And I'm sorry the Giants had to ruin your day :D

-Chris

Vintagedeputy
04-03-2008, 08:26 AM

-Chris

After the season the Dolphins had, I dont really think it was just the Giants that ruined the day...... :)

camarokids
04-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Welcome to GUU Big A!

I was a huge Dolphin fan most of life . We moved to Florida in 1971 and you know what happened the next year .

I had to quit being such a devoted fan . After the fins lost to the Steelers in the 1995 AFC Championship I broke a clock in the house . Which wasn't the first time I had broken something in the house due to their losing.

My wife said enuf is enuf .

Big A
04-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey Big A,

It doesn't appear that there are any distinctive marks on the facemask that you can get a solid photomatch. Being that it came directly from the NFL, and you have a photo from the game, that is pretty cool.

I bought a Michael Strahan game used facemask, then I bought a custom Strahan helmet from http://www.realstuffsports.com/, then I put the gu facemask on the helmet. It is one of my favorite pieces. Its a nice, maybe a little expensive, way to display that facemask.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

its interesting you should mention Realstuffsports. I emailed Frank last week as i know he has a Jason Taylor helemton ebay. Unfortunately though they only appear to ship UPS expedite which is $140 (!!!!!!!!) to the UK. I've just had a dolphins helmet shipped over here via Fedex before for $35.

I really want to get a matched helmet with the high button snap for the chinstrap but Realstuff appear to be the only source, just wish the shipping was a bit cheaper.

roll on the draft.......:D

David
04-03-2008, 07:51 PM
The thing about shipping jerseys is you can fold jerseys.

helmets
04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes, I just checked the UPS rates, and it is well over 100.00 to ship a 6 lb helmet to the UK from the US. Not sure on the fed ex charges or if the mail is cheaper.

David
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
A lot of shipping charge is based on the size of the box, not just the weight. Makes sense, as there is limited volume in shipping the truck or airplane. Obviously, a helmet takes up more space (and weight) than a jersey.

Big A
04-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes, I just checked the UPS rates, and it is well over 100.00 to ship a 6 lb helmet to the UK from the US. Not sure on the fed ex charges or if the mail is cheaper.

I guess thats becuase ofthe speedof shipping as well. Expedite is the quickest method whereas i have had thing shipped on the slowest method which is supposed to take 3-4 weeksbut traditionally takes 7 days.

Interestingly if i was to win an auction for a (full size) helmet on NFL Auctions shipping would be $36!