PDA

View Full Version : Willie McCovey jersey on ebay

lon lewis
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I was asked by another forum member to comment on this jersey ebay item # 320234968611 1961 Willie McCovey 1961 Giants road jersey.
For what it's worth, I believe that this jersey is the same one sent to me last year to have the missing number 4 replaced on the back. If it is the same jersey (how many McCovey '61 roads are missing that number) there are a few problems with the jersey and the description in the listing. The first and most obvious is when I examined the jersey I saw that the front had been restored as you can he actually see the the outline of the other name under the San Francisco. The current letters appeared to have been taken off of another jersey and sewn onto this jersey. the missing back number had another number beside 4 previously possibly a 2 or 6 which was faintly visible when using a light source. I also felt that something was amiss with the NIC at the time but I don't recall what specifically what. I guess what's really got me P.O.'d about this is that I informed the owner at the time of my findings and now here it is and as far as I'm concerned, it's mis-represented. If the current seller had done even the most elementary of checking on this jersey namely actually looking at it, I wouldn't have to be posting about this. While I'm on the subject of misrepresentation, I noticed that the supposed Charlie Fox Giants jersey sold for $ 436 making it a very expensive Class A jersey. I guess that the $$$ has replaced integrety across the board.

Marichal27
04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I saw that "Fox" 1974 flannel jersey. The Giants had the reverse colors then, orange on black, nameplates on the back, and they wore knits. The McCovey jersey in question was just purchased a few months ago from Grey Flannel for over $3000.00 plus the hammer fee. If you look close, the 4 would be too close for the other 4 to be. Lon is the Giants jersey expert around. Trust him when he mentions anything about Giants jerseys; for that matter 49er jerseys as well.