PDA

View Full Version : Hank Aaron game-used bat on ebay

hiramman
04-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on this bat that started with no reserve at $.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANK-AARON-GAME-USED-UNCRACKED-73-75-LVS-BRAVES-BAT_W0QQitemZ110239227056QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5kRunner
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm not making any judgements on the bat, but this seller has been discussed before.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13638&highlight=YOUNT

skipcareyisfat
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Curious about anyone's thoughts on his Brett bat as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEORGE-BRETT-GAME-USED-UNCRACKED-84-85-LVS-T85-RARE-BAT_W0QQitemZ110239205654QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Never see anybody but superstars offered by this guy. Lots of hats and helmets with plain white numerals. I've bookmarked half of dozen of his items in the past and they've been pulled each time at the last minute, then relisted a month later. Even if I wanted to bid on something, I probably wouldn't because it's likely to get yanked due to an "error" in the listing.

SkubeBats
04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I would have to say most of his items are verry questionable. I would like to make a point on this bat. How many bats from the early 1970's have you seen where the ball has left ink transfers on the bat. I once heard baseball from that time wouldn't leave ink marks like the ball they use now. I think I read this on MEARS web site some time ago. I've talked to this guy a couple of times on the phone, and his stories never match up. I seen this bat also and was interested in it until I saw who was selling it. I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

P.S. I'm always looking for game used bats from the Milwaukee Braves and Brewers...

DRILLINDK
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Wow! I just finished reading the posts in the other threads. I would stay clear of this individual.

bigtruck260
04-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Curious about anyone's thoughts on his Brett bat as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEORGE-BRETT-GAME-USED-UNCRACKED-84-85-LVS-T85-RARE-BAT_W0QQitemZ110239205654QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Never see anybody but superstars offered by this guy. Lots of hats and helmets with plain white numerals. I've bookmarked half of dozen of his items in the past and they've been pulled each time at the last minute, then relisted a month later. Even if I wanted to bid on something, I probably wouldn't because it's likely to get yanked due to an "error" in the listing.

I looked at the Brett bat - and something is just not sitting right with me.
I noticed in one picture, his fingers have some tar on them.

The Brett bat has a massive amount of tar - BUT, I have bats from that era with tar, and have never had that much come off on my hands. It turns into a hard resin that doesn't really transfer.

Does the tar look too "fresh"?
Dave

skipcareyisfat
04-01-2008, 12:42 PM

The Brett bat has a massive amount of tar - BUT, I have bats from that era with tar, and have never had that much come off on my hands. It turns into a hard resin that doesn't really transfer.

Dave

Dave, I was wondering the same thing. I have a coupla bats from late 80s/early 90s that have a decent amount of tar on them and none are messy to handle. I guess it's the skeptic in me, but one of the first thoughts that came to mind when I saw manica's Brett was holding the bat and getting a bunch of tar all over myself.

camarokids
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Dave

Here is a Dave Martinez bat from 1998 or 1999 , just covered in pine tar and is completely dry ..........

Also a 1979 Glenn Borgmann bat with pine tar that is almost thirty years old...... and is dry ....

Dewey2007
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I have to agree that pine tar on the Brett bat looks very unnatural. I had a Brett gamer from the '81 season and it had lots of pine tar but nothing like that. Looks very overdone.

I don't know if this has any relevance but it looks to me like that pine tar is past the legal mark and would have definitely drawn the attention of the umps and not been able to be used in game since the date of this bat was well after the famous "Pine Tar" game vs the Yankees.

Is that pine tar covering a possible crack??

cjmedina1
04-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Here is a Dave Martinez bat from 1998 or 1999 , just covered in pine tar and is completely dry ..........

Also a 1979 Glenn Borgmann bat with pine tar that is almost thirty years old...... and is dry ....

Here a 93 gamer of Mcgwire.I'm no brett bat expert but that looks like it has 3 inch thick tar.
Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

cjmedina1
04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
oopsi for got the pitcher

Dewey2007
04-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Here goes a Brett picture circa 1985 on Getty and it looks like he's applying the pine tar pretty thick.

2OnBase
04-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I feel a need to chime in here. I do not know the seller, nor am I standing behind him. In fact, I strongly understand the issue with regards to dealing with anybody whom you feel has been less than cordial or cooperative. However, we need to be careful about making statements that cannot be supported. I have 3 points on the report that pine tar cannot still be sticky. 1) Once I read this thread, I checked my own collection (briefly) and found two particular bats where the pine tar is still tacky! Not enough to abruptly come off on the fingers, but enough to be noticeable. One is a Manny Ramirez from 2000 that I have had since the 91 season that still remains extremely tacky, and another from Frank Thomas that I have had in my collection at least 8 years and is at least 13 years old! Now neither of these are 1980 bats, but my point is that the bat being tacky is not out of the realm of possibility. #2 I am not a Brett expert, but I have seen other Brett bats laden with very thick pine tar sold in high profile auctions. 3) Who says that stuff on the fingers in the picture is pine tar anyways? It could be other.....crap!

Rod

2OnBase
04-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Excuse the misprint...I have had the Ramirez bat since 2001.

Rod

bigtruck260
04-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Update -

I did contact the seller, and I was civil - and he was civil in all of his communication with me. He said that the tar is not sticky, nor does it have an odor. He is standing by his items.

He says that he is a mechanic and the stuff on his hands is oil/grime.

I basically apologized. I know some folks have issues with him, but he gave me some very detailed information - and he was civil...

That forum members that know me know that I am a straight shooter - and relaible. Just thought I would update the situation since I was the one who initiated the Tar discussion.

Dave

stlbats
04-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I am not questioning this guy at all, but does anyone else handle their GU stuff with oil or grime or even dirt or food on their hands?

I wont even go in my baseball room if I am dirty.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

bigtruck260
04-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Nope. I don't wear gloves, but there is absolutely a "no dirty hand/no food/drink/smoking" rule...

Dave

2OnBase
04-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Not questioning you at all, Dave! Frank discussions are appreciated. Nice follow-up as well!!

Rod