PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson game used stuff?

JasonM33
03-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Does anyone here collect Magic Johnson? He's my favorite basketball player but I don't have anything game used by him yet. I'd love to see anything that the members here would be willing to share. Thanks

-Jason M

33bird
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Just barely picked up these game used Magic Johnson game used 1990-91 Converse shoes from his last season. Size 14. Both autographed. Legit Magic stuff is hard to find and usually expensive.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

lund6771
03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I've been looking for a real Magic jersey for a while, and haven't found one that I'm convinced is real

JasonM33
03-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.

Those shoes are sweet. I had a pair of those back in the day. Not gamers of course. I played many a pick-up game in them though. lol

-Jason M

sportsbaron
03-30-2008, 06:54 AM
I went through a period in the late '90's where I tried really hard to obtain a Johnson gamer. The problem was that the hobby was flooded with $3,000 great looking replicas that came with LOA that I finally gave up and purchased a great looking autographed Upper Deck authenticated framed jersey for $300 and decided that I can live with that.

http://my.voyager.net/~nbaron/buildphotos/LansingMagMagic0171.jpg

lund6771
03-30-2008, 11:18 AM
the only way that I would buy a lakers jersey, is if I knew the person selling it had it their collection before 1990...in the early to mid 90's there were a ton of fake tiernans that hit he market...and it wasn't just Magic, it was everyone..Chamberlains, Wests, Baylors, Kareems, etc...

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about buying any Lakers Tiernan jersey

both-teams-played-hard
03-30-2008, 01:06 PM
the only way that I would buy a lakers jersey, is if I knew the person selling it had it their collection before 1990...in the early to mid 90's there were a ton of fake tiernans that hit he market...and it wasn't just Magic, it was everyone..Chamberlains, Wests, Baylors, Kareems, etc...

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about buying any Lakers Tiernan jersey
In the early 90s, I remember reading in SCD about a "Laker Find" from Tiernan. All the great Laker names that you mentioned, "discovered" in a warehouse...in maybe, Glendale? There was a flood of Laker jerseys that hit the market then...now that I remember, were these fakes? I remember a full page ad.

lund6771
03-30-2008, 01:30 PM
BTPH...not familiar who the "Tiernan Find" strory in SCD...I'm pretty sure that there is no connection

Texans
03-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Maybe you should ask Dan any question you have on Johnson stuff. He has great knowledge on Lakers items

Jojo

JasonM33
04-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I wonder what ever became of the jersey Magic wore in game six of the 79-80 NBA finals. That would be the holy grail of Magic Johnson items to me.

-Jason M

urzaworld
05-28-2014, 04:42 AM
I wonder what ever became of the jersey Magic wore in game six of the 79-80 NBA finals. That would be the holy grail of Magic Johnson items to me.

-Jason M

That particularly ultra historic piece from Magic rook game 6 vs sixers(5/17/1980) has been hiding in plain view. This jersey has got to be THEE most historical/valuable piece in NBA collecting. I hear the shirt is in great hands and is part of a great NBA collection .,, the owner has very many rare pieces that definitely the Naismith HOF would be salivating over. This piece is not fokelore but does indeed exist. Not many shirts or items have reached the 1 million dollar mark as yet. This valuable historical shirt, I believe , could possibly hit that mark or come pretty darn close if it ever hits the open market.
Harvey

urzaworld
05-28-2014, 04:46 AM

-Jason M
INDEED,,it is the HOLIEST of grails for NBA collectors.. I think waaaay bigger than the ABA champ ring of Dr.J. But I'm also very partial to NBA80s...the greatest era of basketball ever known to man,,,which will never be repeated.

urzaworld
05-28-2014, 04:56 AM
INDEED,,it is the HOLIEST of grails for NBA collectors.. I think waaaay bigger than the ABA champ ring of Dr.J. But I'm also very partial to NBA80s...the greatest era of basketball ever known to man,,,which will never be repeated.

true history

xsentrixsupra
05-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Love Magic! As the forum members who I have spoken with outside of the forums know, he is the 1 I'm looking to add to my collection. Didn't get to snag the last one at the SCP Auction since it went for I think like 22k? Haha, a bit out of my price range! A game jersey of his will be my next big addition.

sforaker
05-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Magic photomatched jersey from scp auctions.

jmeekins33
05-28-2014, 09:51 AM
That particularly ultra historic piece from Magic rook game 6 vs sixers(5/17/1980) has been hiding in plain view. This jersey has got to be THEE most historical/valuable piece in NBA collecting. I hear the shirt is in great hands and is part of a great NBA collection .,, the owner has very many rare pieces that definitely the Naismith HOF would be salivating over. This piece is not fokelore but does indeed exist. Not many shirts or items have reached the 1 million dollar mark as yet. This valuable historical shirt, I believe , could possibly hit that mark or come pretty darn close if it ever hits the open market.
Harvey

Intriguing. I'd love to see that one up close.

xsentrixsupra
05-28-2014, 10:20 AM

Was that you who won it? Excellent piece sir!

sforaker
05-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Josh. It is only the second Magic photo matched jersey I have ever seen. A GUF member (Mickey) has the other one, which he has posted and is a real gem.

xsentrixsupra
05-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Josh. It is only the second Magic photo matched jersey I have ever seen. A GUF member (Mickey) has the other one, which he has posted and is a real gem.

Hah, when I saw it in the auction I thought it might be his, since I thought the thread about his he made used the same photo matches! Congrats on the purchase, man! Probably one of those once in a lifetime items to come available.

sforaker
05-28-2014, 11:41 AM
No Mickey's is a different jersey. Same year (1988) but different jersey.

xsentrixsupra
05-28-2014, 11:49 AM
No Mickey's is a different jersey. Same year (1988) but different jersey.

Do you collect all Lakers stuff or just that era or just Magic? I really wanted that powder blue Kobe throwback in Goldin a few months ago and could have snagged it, but was holding out to try to get a Magic that I knew would be coming up in Heritage and SCP this last round........ended up with none of them! Haha, oh well!

sforaker
05-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Just Magic, Josh. I'm mostly a baseball guy, but Magic is my favorite basketball player. Sorry you did not end up with either of the Magic jerseys at Heritage and SCP. Kind of strange that two Magic jerseys (and also both from 1988) came up at auction nearly the same time at Heritage and SCP.

jmeekins33
05-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Really great stuff.

I always get excited talking about and seeing any Magic Johnson game used stuff. I'm a big Lakers fan and he is my all-time favorite NBA player. I saw him play live once when I was a kid. It was in either 1988 or 1989 I can't remember which.

I've been fortunate to get some game worn stuff of Kobe Bryant this last year but I really hope someday that I can add a game worn Magic jersey to my collection.

xsentrixsupra
05-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Just Magic, Josh. I'm mostly a baseball guy, but Magic is my favorite basketball player. Sorry you did not end up with either of the Magic jerseys at Heritage and SCP. Kind of strange that two Magic jerseys (and also both from 1988) came up at auction nearly the same time at Heritage and SCP.

Don't be sorry at all! Glad it went to another enthusiast though :) Some day I will add one, hopefully by the end of 2014!

mickeymbz
08-07-2014, 10:57 AM
A Quick note about legit Tiernan vs Fake Tiernan Laker jerseys.

Legit Tiernan Laker jerseys should and always have the following:

1) top of Laker logo should be close to neckline (see pic)

2) bottom of L in Laker logo should have little to almost no spacing in regards to top of number. (see pic)

3) the tackle twill shadow should ALWAYS have indentation in regards to inner number indentation. (see pic and example)

--if you ever see a Tiernan Laker shirt lacking any of these traits (Many Magics and Kareem's) laugh and pass on them. Many these bad shirts have been featured in auctions.

compare the real Wilkes to knock off Magic.

sforaker
08-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Mickey:

Thanks for the great, insightful post and useful information.

Scott

mickeymbz
08-07-2014, 07:33 PM
sorry GUU but this ain't what it looks like either.

mickeymbz
08-09-2014, 10:43 AM
iconic

xsentrixsupra
08-09-2014, 11:39 AM
iconic

Mick, every pic you have emailed me has been great. I love every single one. If I woke up and there were 80 emails from you I would open every single one individually :) Also thanks for your opinions on the 2 jerseys I sent you.

mickeymbz
08-09-2014, 07:18 PM
84 finals

mickeymbz
08-09-2014, 07:26 PM
84 finals

mickeymbz
08-10-2014, 12:47 AM
1979/80 1983/84 shirt found its way home

sforaker
08-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Mickey:

Simply mind blowing.

Congratulations!

Scott

ABL228
08-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Mick, congratulations on this grail find and thank you for the kind words. Your persistence as a preeminent Lakers collector manifested in you obtaining what would be considered by most unattainable. In our dealing we have not always seen eye to eye, but I thank you for the knowledge you have shared and your loyalty. In particular you warned me with regards to a “power collector” and his tendencies to monopolize a relationship. I would adamantly disagree with you and defend said collector stating that he is a “good guy”. Now I realize your experience revealed cues I didn’t see and sadly your assessment was spot on. Again thank you for the kind words, advice, and knowledge.

esquiresports
08-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Wow - wow - wow. Amazing. Congrats!

jimphilips
08-24-2014, 04:20 AM

Would you please pm me or leave your email here? I have some info about this jersey for you.

Wally_Fischer
08-28-2014, 10:04 PM
I was originally really interested in this piece until a friend off a friend brought to my attention this is not a match... Also my friend knows of a prominent collector who let Scp days if not weeks before auctions end that in fact this was not a match. It came from a matching expert. Picture attach. I'm sorry Scotthttp://imageshack.com/a/img538/6936/BmRU4B.jpg

Wally_Fischer
08-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Mickey:

Simply mind blowing.

Congratulations!

Scott

Picture

mickeymbz
08-30-2014, 11:02 AM
my 88-89

Wally_Fischer
09-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Any thoughts on this piece... looking for Lakers collectors to let me know if this is any good? miggymbz?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circa-1985-Magic-Johnson-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Game-Used-Home-Jersey-2-LOAs-/221543588273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339506e1b1

Any update of the SCP Magic Johnson sold as a photomatch but clearly it is not a match (thanks Jim)... Miggymbz what are your thoughts

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/lot-28297.aspx

hbrgrate
09-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Listen numnutz, this is not funny... The eBay is a foggy and looks like a sand knit .

Some poor dude Scott Forker was mislead into a magic being photomatched and many members so called experts in phodo matching stay silent? Shame on them and not helping this fellow collector. Meigray would not pass it as previous pictures clearly show big differences. But why is Willy Fisher poking at it? Where are the Laker experts like Dc, and photomatchers, Alpert, Miedema? Help this guy out, sad

Pale do u think it's a match?

urzaworld
09-17-2014, 09:20 AM
as far as the eBay Tiernan Magic goes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Circa-1985-Magic-Johnson-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Game-Used-Home-Jersey-2-LOAs-/221543588273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339506e1b1

Refer to post #25 of this thread and judge for yourself.

cjackson35
09-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Hello - I am the owner of the Magic Johnson jersey currently listed on eBay. I feel compelled to respond based upon some of the threads here. While I cannot speak for all jerseys, I can speak for mine. I had a lengthy conversation with Dan Ceniceros of DC Sports verifying the identity and authenticity of this jersey. He had reviewed this jersey for Grey Flannel for this NBA Hall of Fame auction. So this jersey has been through the hands of DC, Grey Flannel and Leland's before that. Unless Magic handed me the jersey himself, I can do no better.

In closing, I find it irresponsible for people to place opinions as expert without holding jerseys in their hands.

danesei@yahoo.com
09-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Hello - I am the owner of the Magic Johnson jersey currently listed on eBay. I feel compelled to respond based upon some of the threads here. While I cannot speak for all jerseys, I can speak for mine. I had a lengthy conversation with Dan Ceniceros of DC Sports verifying the identity and authenticity of this jersey. He had reviewed this jersey for Grey Flannel for this NBA Hall of Fame auction.

Part of the problem will stem from Grey Flannel being in the mix. They've sold so many questionable items over the years that they finally were subpoenaed in May in an ongoing fraud investigation. It's possible that the jersey is good, and here's Dan's contact information, in case anyone needs to verify:

dceniceros248@yahoo.com 323 257-4898

mmonte4
09-17-2014, 04:28 PM
If someone can post a single in-game photo of any Lakers player (1979-1986), Mick's contention will be disproven.

mmonte4
09-17-2014, 05:07 PM
*post an in-game photo of a lakers player in a jersey with spacing that Mick described as fake - his contention will be disproven and CJ35 can sleep well again.

net0@thehalf
09-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Hello - I am the owner of the Magic Johnson jersey currently listed on eBay. I feel compelled to respond based upon some of the threads here. While I cannot speak for all jerseys, I can speak for mine. I had a lengthy conversation with Dan Ceniceros of DC Sports verifying the identity and authenticity of this jersey. He had reviewed this jersey for Grey Flannel for this NBA Hall of Fame auction. So this jersey has been through the hands of DC, Grey Flannel and Leland's before that. Unless Magic handed me the jersey himself, I can do no better.

In closing, I find it irresponsible for people to place opinions as expert without holding jerseys in their hands.
CJ,, what I think they're trying to say is that if one attempted to find a style match (getty.ap,video) one would find the attempt futile. Yes, you are correct that a jersey on hand would be appropriate to gauge authenticity-but only after a style match is confirmed. Style matches can determined with online visual images comparisons. Lastly, with the advent of internet some people have come to believe that those 3 parties don't hold quite so much pull in determining the "goods". Internet has allowed collectors to do their own due diligence. Advent of internet has to be a killer for a lot of these auction houses b/c they count on un-thoroughness and the belief that if they sell under they're name-it has to be real-concept.

CollectGU
09-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Advent of internet has to be a killer for a lot of these auction houses b/c they count on un-thoroughness and the belief that if they sell under they're name-it has to be real-concept.

Agreed, another reason Al Gore should be celebrated for his amazing invention

sox83cubs84
09-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Agreed, another reason Al Gore should be celebrated for his amazing invention

:p :p :p

Dave Miedema