PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Bids

kellsox
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
I have recently experienced 3 cancelled bids on 2 items that I have listed on eBay. Two of the cancelled bids(with 1 day left in the auction) basically "ruined" the auction and I chose to end it early. Both were high bids from long time ebay members- 1 with perfect feedback. I was wondering if others have been dealing with this. In my opinion, it is much too easy for bidders to back out on a bid. In all cases "entered wrong amt" was the reason given-isn't that why you have to confirm your bid?
kelly

bigtruck260
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
I used to get REALLY upset about it too KellSox.

BUT, as long as there are humans on Earth, mistakes will be made. There HAS to be an out for a bidder...things happen. People have unexpected things come up - or they realize that they really can't afford an item.

I hate when it happens, but I would rather someone back out before the auction ends rather than have to go through all of the BS when they fail to pay...excuses, etc. I have had people string me along for a week or two - promising payment only to end up with an excuse.

As a seller, I hate it...as a buyer, I have used it a few times too. I have retracted bids for things that I discovered were not authentic during the course of the auction. They appeared legit at first, then I was emailed from someone in the forum questioning it. I have also had a bid on something that I needed, and a trade opportunnity came up that was a far better deal than what I was bidding on...in which case, I email the seller and explain. If they are not OK with it - I honor the bid.

Just be courteous. Retracted bids can lead others to believe that there is a problem with the auction. I have NEVER had an auction get as much/more as the previous auction with retracted bids.

Dave

10thMan
03-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Kellsox, I`m weary about Ebay anymore. I really want to list a few Bats, but not sure I will. Ebay has gotten too big for their britches, just too many Flakes. Last effort I made was listing 8 Items, all good Quality, low Starting prices. I had problems with 5 Buyers. If I remember correctly, 3 never paid, never e-mailed. If I "re-list" Items, people seem weary of them...They E-mail & think somethings wrong with the stuff.
Sean

suave1477
03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Kellsox to answer the latter question of your thread

"In all cases "entered wrong amt" was the reason given-isn't that why you have to confirm your bid?"

Being able to confirm your bid doesnt always mean your gonna still make a corect bid.

When you get to the last few seconds and maybe your putting in several bids real quick, jusr just bidding and confirming real quick trying to make the last bid and something you dont pay attention.

Example: One times I was going to bid on something and I saw I had sometimes left, so I stepped away and looked at my watch and noticed the auction was almost over I ran back to get my bid in which I inly had like a minute to go. I wanted to put in $20.00 but I typed it so fast I put in $2000.00 with out even paying attention and just to make sure I got the bid in on time I clicked confirm, as I clicked the button I SAID "OHHHH _____" (you can fill in the blank) - I got lucky no one else bid and I won the item for $20.
But when your in a rush even the "confirm button" doesnt stop you from making a mistake

kellsox
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Kellsox to answer the latter question of your thread

"In all cases "entered wrong amt" was the reason given-isn't that why you have to confirm your bid?"

Being able to confirm your bid doesnt always mean your gonna still make a corect bid.

When you get to the last few seconds and maybe your putting in several bids real quick, jusr just bidding and confirming real quick trying to make the last bid and something you dont pay attention.

Example: One times I was going to bid on something and I saw I had sometimes left, so I stepped away and looked at my watch and noticed the auction was almost over I ran back to get my bid in which I inly had like a minute to go. I wanted to put in $20.00 but I typed it so fast I put in $2000.00 with out even paying attention and just to make sure I got the bid in on time I clicked confirm, as I clicked the button I SAID "OHHHH _____" (you can fill in the blank) - I got lucky no one else bid and I won the item for $20.
But when your in a rush even the "confirm button" doesnt stop you from making a mistake

In that case I can understand the mistake, but in my case it was an individual bidding up the item(several bids) to a price approaching what was expected for the item. Another bidder also was in the bidding. Once one bidder cancelled their bids the other followed suit the next day and the 800-900 high bid was down to the 200s with about 24 hrs to go. I actually contacted the 2nd bidder and the response was that he/she didn't like "games being played" with auctions. At that point I made the decision to pull the auction because it was essentially reduced to a 1 day auction.
kelly
kelly

earlywynnfan
03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I had a fairly similar experience selling on ebay once. I posted an item, no big money item, but still, and bidder A put a bid on it. The next day, bidder B jumped in, some guy with low feeback, and bids the minimum increase 6-8 times, until he finally beats out A. Then he retracts the highest bid, leaving A the leader but topped out. I notice this, and think "what the heck?"

Sure enough, the next day Bidder A emails me asking what's up. I tried to tell them that I was NOT shill bidding. I don't know if they believed me or not, but they ended up winning the item and being pleased with it. If the tables were turned, I know I would have been suspicious!

I emailed Bidder B, but never got a response. The whole thing was very weird.

Ken