PDA

View Full Version : Players you dislike!

konerkocollector
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't know if anyone has ever posted this topic but who are the players you dislike in the game of baseball and for what reason. Me myself I dislike Joey Gathright because of the game where he ended Bobby Jenks Consecutive out Streak. Leaving him tied with Jim Barr which was the worst day of my life, enough of my story lets hear your's.:D

Fnazxc0114
03-24-2008, 11:22 PM
i hate vladimere guerro and nick swisher. i might like swisher more since he has moved out of the AL West. guerrero beats the heck out of my rangers everytime they play.

Neely8
03-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Ulf Samuelsson since he was a punk and helped end Cam Neely's career and I also can't stand Claude Lemiuex.

bigtruck260
03-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Let's see...

Luke Scott, Sometimes Jeff Kent (but not always), Carlos Zambrano (wish the Cards had him) and Barry B.

Strangely enough, Rickey Henderson (Mr. Ego) was one of my favorites. I dislike Bonds for the same reasons I liked Rickey - steroids has nothing to do with it. Just a slight variance in attitude.

Retired players include: Kevin Brown, Jeff Brantley, Rob Dibble and Frank Viola - all pitchers.

Dave

frikativ54
03-25-2008, 01:49 AM
This is a great topic. There are so many ballplayers to dislike for various reasons.

1) Barry Bonds - The name speaks for itself. Lying, roids, arrogance, clubhouse cancer, etc.

2) Jay Buhner - He always would strike out with RISP back when I was growing up in Seattle. Plus, he always had the nastiest wad of chewing tobacco - just nauseating. Plus, I've heard from waiters at a particular restaurant that he's not very fan-friendly - even to children.

3) Lance Berkman - I love him on-the-field, but his personality annoys the living heck out of me. He jokes about faking injuries, and just doesn't have what it takes to be a clubhouse leader. Plus, if he were more in shape, he could be one of the best players in the NL. Worst of all his political/religious views are scary IMHO.

4) Albert Pujols - think NLCS. Think my Astros. Nuff said.

5) Ken Griffey, Jr. - He's better now that he's matured, but was such a whiner when he was with Seattle. Hustle out a grounder to short, would you, Junior? Could have been the best all-time if he would have been more disciplined and shown a better work ethic. If I'd have had his talent, I would have really used it.

3arod13
03-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Any player who ignores and/or displays a negative attitude towards fans.

chakes89
03-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Lance Berkman
Albert Pujols
Jeff Kent
Roy Oswalt

Fellow Reds fans will know why :)

Vintagedeputy
03-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Barry Bonds and Manny Ramirez, hands down winners

skipcareyisfat
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
I despise pretty much any player with this on his jersey....

jonincleve
03-25-2008, 08:29 AM
toby harrah traded for buddy bell

john elway...i live in cleveland. side note john elway and bernie kosar both own arena football teams now and they are playing each other soon.

take care
john

AWA85
03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Roy Oswalt

Anyone on the Cubs (including their fans :D )

konerkocollector
03-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Roy Oswalt

Anyone on the Cubs (including their fans :D )

I agree with you on the Cubs and their Fans

godwulf
03-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I dunno...I got to see (and hear) a lot of Cubs fans up close - full body shiver - during the playoffs last year. I would have to categorize them more as "to be pitied" rather than actively "disliked". A dumber brood I have seldom observed. During one game, in particular, I sat next to a three-generation family of six or seven, and I swear they didn't have more than a half dozen thumbs between them. :rolleyes:

gingi79
03-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I despise pretty much any player with Mets on his jersey....

Yep! Well said. I took special joy in knowing so much of the Mitchell Report was directly associated with the Mutts.

Also on my list:

Mark Messier. As a Canucks fan, I'm bound by law to hate him

Steve Smith (The Blackhawk #5) For his cheap shot on Bure in 1996. He was never really the same

Chris Pronger. I hope someone accidentally slashes his Achilles heal in the playoffs. He is the cheapest dirtbag I ever witnessed. (especially trying to stomp on Kesler's leg with a skate blade.)

Boomer Esiason. Seriously, what an arrogant pompous ass. I hated him when he played for the Jets and he is simply disgusting to listen to on the radio. Get over yourself. You were the Trent Dilfer of your day, a never was. At least Trent won a Super Bowl.

nycsports
03-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Curt Schillling

bigtruck260
03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I dunno...I got to see (and hear) a lot of Cubs fans up close - full body shiver - during the playoffs last year. I would have to categorize them more as "to be pitied" rather than actively "disliked". A dumber brood I have seldom observed. During one game, in particular, I sat next to a three-generation family of six or seven, and I swear they didn't have more than a half dozen thumbs between them. :rolleyes:

Coffee meet monitor via mouth.

This is an excellent observation. Except Dave M., my Ballhawk buddy and his fellow Hawks. They are super fans. Exception to the rule...

Dave

suave1477
03-26-2008, 12:14 AM
WOW WHERE DO I START WITH THIS ONE..............

I SECOND THE MOTION OF SKIPCAREY LOL LOL:p

Barry Bonds - name speaks for itself

Bob Gibson - not as a player but as himself he is extremely rude at signings

NOW MY ALL TIME 3 AND I THINK THEY ALL SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES BUT I WILL SAY IT ANYWAY

Carl Pavano - A waste of time, energy, money, and still taking up a spot on the yankees roster while he watches the games at home on tv.

Mike Hampton - Commands a high salary from the Mets and when they make it into the Post Season blames that he sucks because of the weather - well what did you expect when you signed with a team that has post season potential and plays in the North East????????? HELLO ITS OCTOBER - HOLD UP!!!! AND HAS BEEN SIGNED WITH THE BRAVES FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS AND STILL IS AND HAS YET TO EVEN PLAY IN A REGULAR SEASON GAME

Jaret Wright - Another waste!! was making 800,000 with the braves demands 5mil from the Yankees cuz we were desperate for a pitcher and does nothing for 2 years.

Dewey2007
03-26-2008, 12:48 AM
These are 3 that come to mind:

Pete Rose
Joe Montana
Kirk Gibson

Rose because I just thought he was full of himself and everyone liked him so as a kid I had to go against the grain on that one. Kinda liked him more after I found out he was a dengenerate gambler.

I respected Joe just because he is/was the best QB ever but I just didn't care much for him. I think it's the fact that everyone rode his jock here in the Bay Area and I wasn't big on the 49ers. Also because I believe they covered up his rehab stint one year when he supposedly had a major back injury but somehow miraculously returned. At least that was the rumor.

Gibson for the one hit he had during the '88 series vs the A's + the fact that there's no way he should have gotten the MVP that year. How do you give MVP to a guy with these stats .290/25/76. Plus the fact he had the demeanor of a horse's backside made him easy to dislike.

suave1477
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM

Kirk Gibson

Gibson for the one hit he had during the '88 series vs the A's + the fact that there's no way he should have gotten the MVP that year. How do you give MVP to a guy with these stats .290/25/76. Plus the fact he had the demeanor of a horse's backside made him easy to dislike.

I will say this is possibly why Strawberry was supposed to get the MVP for this year and instead he was snubbed because of his off the field antics, so I can only imagine Gibson was next in line.So instead Strawberry came in as #2 for that year.

hblakewolf
03-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Pete Rose
Joe Montana
Kirk Gibson

Rose because I just thought he was full of himself and everyone liked him so as a kid I had to go against the grain on that one. Kinda liked him more after I found out he was a dengenerate gambler.

I respected Joe just because he is/was the best QB ever but I just didn't care much for him. I think it's the fact that everyone rode his jock here in the Bay Area and I wasn't big on the 49ers. Also because I believe they covered up his rehab stint one year when he supposedly had a major back injury but somehow miraculously returned. At least that was the rumor.

Dewey-

By far, based on the many many interactions I've had with MLB players (at the park, charity events, etc.), Kirk Gibson is hands down the worst player I've ever met.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
hblkakewolf@patmedia.net

cards-bats
03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Mike Schmidt.

He was signing at a show when I was a kid. I found the nicest Mike Schmidt rookie card I could find (grade quality) to have him sign. They weren't real expensive at the time. Maybe $15-$20 – can't remember.
He could tell I was trying to be careful with it handing it to him as to not bend or knock the corners. He lays it on the table, signs it, looks at it for a second and then looks at me while he bends the corner of the card into the table. He gives me a smirks and says something about it being a nice card.
What an A**. :mad:

dcgreg25
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I have a number of players I root against but still respect. My biggest pet peeve is when players agree to take money for a signing and then show up and treat the fans like crap or ignore them.

One of the worst is Rich Gannon (met him at a signing at the pro bowl about five years ago). He wouldn't even look at fans and just ignored them when they tried to talk to him.

If you dont like interacting with fans don't take the money and agree to do the signing.

Texans
03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
The player I dislike the most is Tony Gwynn. I went to a card show and got an auto baseball. I asked to take a picture with him and he said no which was ok. 15 minutes later I saw him taking pictures with a person that had some of his game used stuff. What a jerk

Jojo

sylbry
03-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Kevin Walker, for what he inadvertantly did to Bo.

bigtruck260
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Howard -

That Kirk Gibson story never gets old.:D

MikeSimon
03-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Yep! Well said. I took special joy in knowing so much of the Mitchell Report was directly associated with the Mutts.

Also on my list:

Mark Messier. As a Canucks fan, I'm bound by law to hate him

Steve Smith (The Blackhawk #5) For his cheap shot on Bure in 1996. He was never really the same

Chris Pronger. I hope someone accidentally slashes his Achilles heal in the playoffs. He is the cheapest dirtbag I ever witnessed. (especially trying to stomp on Kesler's leg with a skate blade.)

Boomer Esiason. Seriously, what an arrogant pompous ass. I hated him when he played for the Jets and he is simply disgusting to listen to on the radio. Get over yourself. You were the Trent Dilfer of your day, a never was. At least Trent won a Super Bowl.

Mark Messier is a loser in my books....and I'm Canadian. He refused to sign an autograph (for my young son) when he was with the Canucks. Pavel Bure had more class. He came by and took pics with us and signed Canuck's items for my boy.

"Moose" is more like a mouse

earlywynnfan
03-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Wade Boggs, just because.

Ken

yanks12025
03-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Manny Ramirez, I think he is a giant disgrace to baseball.

33bird
03-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Barry Bonds of course. Cheater and the ultimate jerk.
Mike Tyson. He was at a bball game in Vegas. He wouldn't sign for any of the white kids, but he would sign for any kids of color.
Greg

33bird
03-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Roger Clemens too. Something about him makes me want to just punch him in the face.

nyjetsfan14
03-30-2008, 11:47 PM

Are you serious? I mean you can absolutely like or dislike whoever for any particular reason but you lose quite a bit of validity when you say Esiason was the Trent Dilfer of his day. If you take the time to compare resumes I think most can clearly recognize Boomer as one of the most proficient left handed passers to ever play the position. I don't think Trent has ever even sniffed an NFL MVP plus has over 130 less TD passes and 17,000 less passing yards. I am a big Dilfer fan, great guy and great intangibles but let's be honest, the Ravens would have had a good chance at winning with that defense even if you or I were the QB.

boomstick
01-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Are you serious? I mean you can absolutely like or dislike whoever for any particular reason but you lose quite a bit of validity when you say Esiason was the Trent Dilfer of his day. If you take the time to compare resumes I think most can clearly recognize Boomer as one of the most proficient left handed passers to ever play the position. I don't think Trent has ever even sniffed an NFL MVP plus has over 130 less TD passes and 17,000 less passing yards. I am a big Dilfer fan, great guy and great intangibles but let's be honest, the Ravens would have had a good chance at winning with that defense even if you or I were the QB.

I agree with you 100% Boomer's cool.

gingi79
01-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I despise pretty much any player with this on his jersey....

+1 :D

3arod13
01-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Barry Bonds and Manny Ramirez, hands down winners

Same here!

NYCrulesU
01-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Barry Bonds

happyyoungster
01-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Chris Coghlan-
Re: trading 1st career HR ball back

Not only did he treat me like a criminal, his posture was aggressive and he carried an overwhelming sense of entitlement.
On top of it, he lied to the media about the exchange and put a positive spin on it for himself.

Had you all fooled...

Manram
01-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Barry Bonds

tjm5711
01-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Good Question:

Milton Bradley,Jared Allen,Terell Owens,Randy Moss,Tom Brady,Steve Smith(Carolina Punk,Not The Giants WR),Barry Bonds,Manny Ramirez.

Manram
01-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I have to say personally I like manny. He is probably the funniest guy in baseball.

bigtruck260
01-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Chris Coghlan-

Not only did he treat me like a criminal, his posture was aggressive and he carried an overwhelming sense of entitlement.
On top of it, he lied to the media about the exchange and put a positive spin on it for himself.

Had you all fooled...

About the trading of the ball...

I remember reading about this when it happened. The team offered you one of Kyle's bats and you asked for a signed Ramirez bat too. It's the kid's first HR baseball. That's like catching Colby Rasmus's first homer and asking for an Albert Pujols bat (kinda).

Every article I read about that (including your blog) made YOU sound like you carried a 'sense of entitlement'. It's like you were OWED something for being a ballhawk. You have to know that the staff for BOTH teams was telling Chris that you were asking for the Ramirez bat...he was probably offended.

Remember when McGwire was breaking the record in 1998 (no steroid comments please, that's not what I am getting at)?

When he got into high 50's and started breaking National League records, the fans catching the baseballs would ask for all kinds of stuff...to the point that it was ignorant. Then, this great kid, Tim Forneris (a groundskeeper) catches THE ball, #62 and asks for NOTHING...just gives the ball to Mac.

I know you thought Chris was in the wrong - but I am not one of those who feels sorry for you. You had a great opportunity to be a good guy and blew it with me by asking for something that was beyond reasonable...and expecting sympathy.

The kid gave you a game used bat with a cool inscription - "You caught my first homerun!" and you dislike him for his attitude. He could have told you to keep the ball and 'bugger off'. I think I can make out what he's saying to the camera in this photo:

allstarsplus
01-16-2010, 04:36 PM
About the trading of the ball...

I remember reading about this when it happened. The team offered you one of Kyle's bats and you asked for a signed Ramirez bat too. It's the kid's first HR baseball. That's like catching Colby Rasmus's first homer and asking for an Albert Pujols bat (kinda).

Every article I read about that (including your blog) made YOU sound like you carried a 'sense of entitlement'. It's like you were OWED something for being a ballhawk. You have to know that the staff for BOTH teams was telling Chris that you were asking for the Ramirez bat...he was probably offended.

Remember when McGwire was breaking the record in 1998 (no steroid comments please, that's not what I am getting at)?

When he got into high 50's and started breaking National League records, the fans catching the baseballs would ask for all kinds of stuff...to the point that it was ignorant. Then, this great kid, Tim Forneris (a groundskeeper) catches THE ball, #62 and asks for NOTHING...just gives the ball to Mac.

I know you thought Chris was in the wrong - but I am not one of those who feels sorry for you. You had a great opportunity to be a good guy and blew it with me by asking for something that was beyond reasonable...and expecting sympathy.

The kid gave you a game used bat with a cool inscription - "You caught my first homerun!" and you dislike him for his attitude. He could have told you to keep the ball and 'bugger off'. I think I can make out what he's saying to the camera in this photo:

I don't know the situation and it could have been a bad day for both of them.

While Chris may seem to be "living the dream", his life has also had a lot of ups and downs when he lost his father at an early age.

The Washington Post recently did an article about him as he grew up in Maryland outside of Washington (and a few miles where we live).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/24/AR2009122402366.html

mbrieve
01-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Coughlan looks like one classy guy in that photo. The way the Marlins jerked the ballhawk around...if it was me, I would have kept it!

I guarantee the first homerun ball of the 2009 NL ROY is worth more than a Hanley Ramirez bat.

LastingsMilledge85
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I remember reading Coghlan wanting the ball so he could give it to his mom. I find that article so interesting and wonder what really happened.

Manram
01-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Thats an interesting article

cubbs1232
01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
pat the bat burrell- for ruining the rays chemistry

dioner navarro for his smug way about him, thinking hes better than what he really is

AROD313
01-16-2010, 07:59 PM
arod

Bondsgloves
01-16-2010, 08:02 PM
AROD, Manny Ramirez, Marcus Allen (what a A-hole), Sterling Sharpe

LastingsMilledge85
01-16-2010, 08:04 PM
arod
Why do you collect him if you dislike him?

dcgreg25
01-16-2010, 08:04 PM
toby harrah traded for buddy bell

john elway...i live in cleveland. side note john elway and bernie kosar both own arena football teams now and they are playing each other soon.

take care
john

+1 on Elway!! Doesnt seem like a bad guy but if you are a Cleveland fan, it is required to hate him.

gorilla777
01-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Curt Schilling -man, what a blowhard....I heard ex-teammates called him Red Light as a nickname. They noticed that he would look obsessively for the red light indicating a camera was on and then change his persona completely and seek out the camera/mic because his thoughts and opinions were so very important.:cool:

LastingsMilledge85
01-16-2010, 10:34 PM
What made the dislike happen and what do you do with what you have of his? I know you have that first GS bat and could never see you part with that.

LastingsMilledge85
01-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Retract what I said about that bat, confused you with 3arod13 for a second. Names are too similar.
:confused:

ivo610
01-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I cant stand Jared Allen, Brett Favre, Tom Brady (entourage helped a little), Michael Phelps, Ray Rice, and a few others.

5kRunner
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Chris Coghlan-

Had you all fooled...

LOL. Who carried the sense of entitlement???

The way I read YOUR blog, your beef should be with the Marlins not Coghlan. He gave you a bat. What's he supposed to do, go over to Ramirez's locker and take a bat to give to you?

But apparently, one bat wasn't enough.

http://thehappyyoungster.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/05/51309_miller_park.html

allstarsplus
01-17-2010, 10:23 AM

The way I read YOUR blog, your beef should be with the Marlins not Coghlan. He gave you a bat. What's he supposed to do, go over to Ramirez's locker and take a bat to give to you?

I collect HR balls as many others do too. There is certainly value to it. There was an entire thread dedicated to the Coghlan ball:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=25695&page=7&highlight=coghlan

I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt since none of us were there and I will repost my post on the other thread:

In the heat of the moment, both guys might have perceived things differently. Why jump to conclusions in a "He said, he said".

It all worked out and the player got the ball.

Talking about HRs, how many of these idiots catch the opponents HR and then throw the balls back on to the field just to be scooped up by the team. What a waste!

To me, what a great collectible to get a HR ball!!!!

Like I said, Coghlan got the ball and hopefully Happy Youngster eventually got his Marlins tickets. Would love to hear a followup!

xpress34
01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
i hate vladimere guerro and nick swisher. i might like swisher more since he has moved out of the AL West. guerrero beats the heck out of my rangers everytime they play.

Then you should LOVE Vlad now.... being that he is a Ranger and all... :o

- Chris

ahuff
01-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Where do I begin:

Darryl Strawberry - My buddy's favorite player. Growing up, my friend would playfully taunt me as the Straw would beat up my beloved Cubbies. I know it isn't true, but it seemed he homered against us all the time.

John Kruk - The ultimate Cub killer. That man could hit, especially against us.

Rick Sutcliffe - I know he was a Cubbie, but just couldn't stand watching him play. Dislike might be a bit to strong to represent how I felt about him, but wish he wasn't a Cub.

Kobe Bryant - I can't stand arrogance, and many of today's players (in NBA, MLB, and NFL) represent that. He is the ultimate poster child for that, in my opinion. AROID also fills that label nicely.

Those are the big ones, and the first that come to mind.

bagbig
01-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Well put. He acts so innocent, but really 99.99% of fans would have loved to get ONE bat for the ball.

xpress34
01-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Great thread!!! But where oh where do I start?

1st - concerning the Coughlan HR issue. I agree that IMHO Happy Youngster was asking for way too much for the ball - an auto ball in return should have been enough (if he truly respects the game and the player)... the bat, okay - not a big stretch, but the Hanley bat or tickets? Really? And my position on this come from me being the fan who caught Eric Young Jr's 1st MLB HR at Coors Field last year. All I wanted was for EY to get is ball and me to get a meet and great and an auto ball in return.

2nd - my list of players I dispise:

Basketball - I don't follow it, so I can't say I despise any but Jordan's egotistical rant at his HOF induction definately turned me off on him.

Hockey - I follow it some. Like many who dislike teams, I dislike any who have worn REDWINGS on their chest. They quickly became the #1 rivals for the Colorado Avalanche with some bench clearing on-ice brawls. TODD BERTUZZI - what a goon. SCOTTY BOWMAN.

Football - I grew up in Dallas, so anyone with Steelers or 49ers on their chest. Individual players include T.O. (spinning the ball on the Star), Randall Cunningham (fake kneel and then TD pass in waning seconds of a game they were already winning). Michael Vick - do I need to explain?

Baseball - ahh, the sport I love. Many I despise won't be listed here because the list would be too long:

Barry Bonds (do I really need to explain?)
Rickey Henderson (lack of respect for Lou Brock when he broke the record)
Robin Ventura (see my board name - self explanatory)
Curt Schilling (anybody here the names he called Larry Walker after the Walker to AZ for Williams to CO trade got killed - by Matt Williams.)
Rafael Palmeiro (Class A jerk to fans - I have MANY stories over many years)
A-FRAUD (Liar, Cheat, Self Absorbed)
ManRam (Liar, Cheat, Self Absorbed)
Big Poppi (Hmmm - 'Anyone caught using a banned substance should be suspended for at least a year" Yet he continued playing after HE was CAUGHT)
Pat Burrell - made my friend's 6 year old cry last year. Couldn't just say no to signing, but singled out the kid and said, "I'm not gonna sign your god damned baseball cards kid."
YANKEES FANS that don't have a clue. My friend from Staten Island calls them the NYY 'Fashion' Fans who where the gear and claim to adore the team, but couldn't tell you a thing about them. TRUE STORY about this - when I worked for Nike in Denver, Bernie Williams (arguably one of the biggest Yankees names at the time) comes in to shop (Yanks in town for interleague). Two kids (14 or so) dressed head to toe in Yankees hats, jerseys, etc are walking around the store spoting off how the Yanks will cruch the Rox, etc... they run into (and I mean LITERALLY ran into) Bernie coming around a corner, they look up at him - have NO idea who he is - and go about their business.
CUBS FANS that don't have a clue. (SEE NYY above)
BRAVES Fans that don't have a clue. (SEE NYY above)

Here in Denver, a lot of fans were made with other teams before the Rox because they got TBS and WGN or Yanks on the Radio. But they don't know the players, they just blindly support the team.

Lastly (and sorry for the rant) ANY PLAYER of ANY SPORT who has committed a heinous crime such as Domestic Violence, Gun Law violations, DUI/Drug Abuse that cause injury, etc that apparently are above the law (at least the laws you and I would have to answer to) that go on with their lives and continue to make millions - OR - ANY PLAYER of ANY SPORT who treat the fans like dirt. I know they are not obligated to sign for us, but at least give us the respect of politely declining, not being a world class jackass.

All the best -

Chris

FSUnconquered
01-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Well put. He acts so innocent, but really 99.99% of fans would have loved to get ONE bat for the ball.
Agreed. And the other .01% percent of fans would of just been happy that they were able to help the guy get a ball that he will cherish the rest of his life. Should of just gave him the ball and a congratulations on his first big league homer.

sox83cubs84
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Baseball:
Tim Redding (waved his hand in "don't bother me" fashion when I asked for his cracked bat, then gave it to someone else when he left the field).
Matt Stairs: (Lied to me about a bat being cracked and then gave it to another fan after coonfirming that it was).
Jason Giambi: (Nothing to do with 'roids..he promised me a cap (c. 2000) when I gave him a matted Mickey Mantle 2 pg. magazine ad, then ignored me afterwards).

Football: Any of the IDIOTS (Burress, Pac Man, Vick, etc.) who have engaged in criminal behavior.

Basketball: Same as football, plus Lebron James (based on a cheap shot he took at former President George W. Bush in a 2009 interview).

Dave M.
Chicago area

frikativ54
01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Basketball: Same as football, plus Lebron James (based on a cheap shot he took at former President George W. Bush in a 2009 interview).

What did he say? Just curious, in your book, is a political disagreement enough to add a player to your dislike list?

sox83cubs84
01-17-2010, 07:36 PM
What did he say? Just curious, in your book, is a political disagreement enough to add a player to your dislike list?

I guess "dislike" is in the eye of the beholder. James was asked by a reporter who he'd like to dunk on if he had a choice of anyone to posterize. Rather than cite an NBA opponent, he mentioned Bush, adding comments to the effect of "I'd like to put him on his ass", and "I'd like to embarass him".

It's a free country...he can say that, but I'm also free to dislike him and boycott his sponsors because of it. And, being a die-hard conservative, I act with my wallet, not just my words. I don't attend first-run movies, buy either local daily newspaper, or watch network or local news because of what I feel are raw deals all of those entities give to those who share the beliefs that I do. Again, there's no law prohibiting speaking negatively about conservatives, but there's no law that says I have to spend my money with those critics, either. I guess, Frik, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If the poliitical nature of this post is offensive to some, I apologize, but to properly make my point, I had to explain myself, even if on a partisan basis.

Dave M.
Chicago area

frikativ54
01-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I guess "dislike" is in the eye of the beholder. James was asked by a reporter who he'd like to dunk on if he had a choice of anyone to posterize. Rather than cite an NBA opponent, he mentioned Bush, adding comments to the effect of "I'd like to put him on his ass", and "I'd like to embarass him".

It's a free country...he can say that, but I'm also free to dislike him and boycott his sponsors because of it. And, being a die-hard conservative, I act with my wallet, not just my words. I don't attend first-run movies, buy either local daily newspaper, or watch network or local news because of what I feel are raw deals all of those entities give to those who share the beliefs that I do. Again, there's no law prohibiting speaking negatively about conservatives, but there's no law that says I have to spend my money with those critics, either. I guess, Frik, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If the poliitical nature of this post is offensive to some, I apologize, but to properly make my point, I had to explain myself, even if on a partisan basis.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Thanks for explaining. I was just curious, because I too lost respect for a player as a result of his religious and political views. Of course, we differ on politics, but the reasoning may be similar. I used to have more Lance Berkman stuff than Jeff Bagwell, but I decided to sell my Berkman stuff at least partially because of our political disagreements.

In my case, it was because he believed that God put men in positions of leadership in society for a reason, and because he didn't believe in a liberal notion of tolerance. For all I know, Jeff Bagwell could be a die-hard conservative, but with Bagwell at least, he never was outspoken about his political beliefs, judging from the Houston Chronicle.

Thanks again for the explanation. I am glad that I am not alone in losing respect for a player, based on his opinions, whatever they may be.

sox83cubs84
01-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Frik:

I recall your original posts expressing your disdain for Berkman's outspokeness regarding his religious beliefs. I don't care for him either...but it's not for the same reasons you do...I just can't stand the fact that he seems to always kill my Cubbies with the bat!;)

Dave M.
Chicago area

frikativ54
01-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Frik:

I recall your original posts expressing your disdain for Berkman's outspokeness regarding his religious beliefs. I don't care for him either...but it's not for the same reasons you do...I just can't stand the fact that he seems to always kill my Cubbies with the bat!;)

Dave M.
Chicago area

Yeah. There is much more to my dislike of Berkman than merely his conservative beliefs. When he speaks, he comes off as a clown - and I prefer ballplayers to be serious about what they do. Also, he doesn't always run out grounders, and that drives me crazy.

Probably my number one pet peeve for ballplayers is lack of hustle. If you are being payed millions to play a game, you ought to be running out routine grounders. So, with Berkman, when you combine his attitude, his social conservatism, and his lack of hustle, he drives me crazy.

apfriz
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Avid Phils fan, so
+1 to anyone wearing Mets jersey's....

One of my favorites to hate is Franky Rodriguez, his rediculous
ritual after a save is laughable....You would think some of these guys
would fall in line with the best.....Rivera, he acts just as he should, like he's been there before....'Hey K-Rod, your team is 43 games out of first, you didnt save the world there big fella'

Dewey??? come on ? Pete Rose?

Robin Ventura was a good one...forgot about him charging Ryan...he is on my list too !!

I remember hating Bill Buckner for 'letting' the mets win the series in '86, but as I got older, and realized just how awful it must have been for him, and how good of a player he was, I actually have come a full 180 and look to become a collector of him !!

Great thread !

sox83cubs84
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah. There is much more to my dislike of Berkman than merely his conservative beliefs. When he speaks, he comes off as a clown - and I prefer ballplayers to be serious about what they do. Also, he doesn't always run out grounders, and that drives me crazy.

Probably my number one pet peeve for ballplayers is lack of hustle. If you are being payed millions to play a game, you ought to be running out routine grounders. So, with Berkman, when you combine his attitude, his social conservatism, and his lack of hustle, he drives me crazy.

Agreed (on lack of hustle). There are only three things that will cause me to boo a ballplayer. That is one, as are cheating (i.e., steroids) or dirty play.

Dave M.
Chicago area

LastingsMilledge85
01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
What Frankie Rodriguez does after games doesn't bother me, it's his obnoxious personality that bothers me. When I go to DC for the Mets games I stay at the same hotel as the Mets (coincidentally the first time and now stay there simply because it's a wonderful hotel in a beautiful area). I don't pay any mind to the players, but after talking to Mets fans that were trying to get autographs they said that Frankie Rodriguez was very disrespectful, thus making it understanding not to like him.

suicide_squeeze
01-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Dewey-

By far, based on the many many interactions I've had with MLB players (at the park, charity events, etc.), Kirk Gibson is hands down the worst player I've ever met.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
hblkakewolf@patmedia.net (hblkakewolf@patmedia.net)

There are many good posts here, but Howard...I was laughing for 10 straight minutes after reading this. Thanks for the story.....LOL.