PDA

View Full Version : Bad guys using our web sites for all the wrong reasons?!

nyjetsfan14
03-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Happy Easter, I hope all are having a very blessed day. Last night I was doing my typical e-Bay search and saw an interesting item: a 1992 NY Jets draft used helmet phone. The interesting part about the phone was that - IT IS MINE. The photo was taken off my personal Jets collection web site and used in the auction. The seller was obviously misrepresenting the item he had. Of course I contacted the seller after reporting the listing and I received a very nice Easter message from the seller telling me to F%$K off. The seller ended the listing.

I know that has happened before to other GUU members and I guess the harm is minimal. But is there anybody concerned that the bad guys might be using our collectible web site pictures for more devious doing such as counterfeiting jerseys/equipment? I just restricted my web site to invitees only...no longer can anybody just browse thru and see my stuff. The last thing I want is somebody using my collection to possibly produce fakes. Am I being overly paranoid or realistic?

Also, does anybody know how to mark pictures so they have a script image on them like you see on Getty pics or many e-Bay item pics? I'd like to do that to all my pictures to discourage using without my permission. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond...

GO JETS!

commando
03-23-2008, 05:59 PM
There's no doubt this has happened and will continue to happen with our pictures... With that being said, crooks will always find photos from somewhere, whether it's our game-used equipment here or someone else's stereo unit on Craigslist.

I'm not sure if there's much we can do about it, or whether we'd really make a difference in the big picture.

both-teams-played-hard
03-23-2008, 06:04 PM
I know that has happened before to other GUU members and I guess the harm is minimal. But is there anybody concerned that the bad guys might be using our collectible web site pictures for more devious doing such as counterfeiting jerseys/equipment? I just restricted my web site to invitees only...no longer can anybody just browse thru and see my stuff. The last thing I want is somebody using my collection to possibly produce fakes. Am I being overly paranoid or realistic?

Also, does anybody know how to mark pictures so they have a script image on them like you see on Getty pics or many e-Bay item pics? I'd like to do that to all my pictures to discourage using without my permission. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond...

A "watermark" can easily be added with photoshop. I never use watermarks on my website. It seems like clutter. Also, many watermarks can be removed WITH photoshop. I put some watermarks on a few unpublished negatives that I own. But, I've also added some to this forum and encouraged folks to make copies and add to their hard-drives. Remember- they can't sell what they don't have. Frankly, its hard to stop criminals at all levels. A watermark is like "The Club" to auto-thieves. They can steal it, regardless.
HAPPY EASTER!

cohibasmoker
03-23-2008, 06:12 PM
nyjetsfan14:

That sucks. Maybe this will help.

I have "Microsolf Picture It" on my computer. What I do is place a scan on my desktop. Then I highlight the scan icon and right-click the mouse which shows me a variety of commands. One of the commands is "open with".

I then open the scan with the "Microsoft Picture It" program. Once the scan is opened in the program, there is a tab that reads "Text". Open that tab and you'll see a "add text" command. Just open that command and type in your text.

Jim

nyjetsfan14
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated info. Hopefully I can muster up enough computer literacy to accomplish that thus preventing or limiting the unathorized posting/reuse of my photos. The part that truly concerns me now is who, if anybody, might be inappropriately using our sites/pictures to reproduce jerseys, helmets, etc... I mean what better way to produce a fake then get a real good look at all aspects of the real thing from many different angles? As mentioned, I have now restricted my site to invitees ony as I'd hate if somebody was taking liberties detrimental to the hobby from my photos.

GO JETS!

kingjammy24
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
many people refuse to discuss certain things because they fear it'll give the forgers a leg up. while i don't doubt that's true, it also gives buyers and legit hobbyists a leg up as well. i suppose it's a matter of whether you believe the benefits outweight the risks. personally i do.

a forger can be helped by photos all day long but ultimately i believe there's almost always evidence left behind of their handiwork. tell-tale signs are left behind that certain elements were doctored or created artificially. most of them really aren't that good, even with all the photos in the world to help them.

re: watermarks
it's not difficult to create a watermark. the efficacy of a watermark is entirely dependant on its size and where exactly on the image it's placed. warren is correct in saying that watermarks can be removed but if you place it in an optimal area, then the removal becomes a royal pain in the ass which requires skill and a ton of effort. watermarks should be placed in areas where there are a lot of gradients - on human skin tone for example. removing a watermark from a background of relatively solid colors or a pattern is easy. removing it from a person's face is almost impossible because you'll have to re-create that portion of the image and flawlessly recreating random, complex gradients is very difficult. most times there'll be signs that the image was doctored. you also want to place it on the "meat" of the image so that it can't simply be cut out without losing most of the image. getty does a very good job. they ruin the essential part of the image and their watermarks are so large that at some point they overlay a complex gradient. any removal of watermarks though assumes the person has the skill to do it and wants to put forth the effort. i think this is untrue for most people out there. using a watermark would probably deter most people.

rudy.

David
03-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I once had a guy try and sell me something using a picture from my site. I said, "Uh, you do understand that the picture you are using is from my site, don't you?"

There was also the guy who thought he was dealing with two people via email, but they were both me. He tried to get a better deal from me, as there was another guying willing to sell at the same price. I informed him that I was the other guy.